iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lyctid Powderpost Beetle technical description from NC State Extension

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, April 08, 2018, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

samandothers

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

PineNut

Just because this article said they attack hardwoods only, you are not out of the woods yet. The lyctid powerpost beetle may not attack  pine, but there is a species ( I don't recall the name) that loves to attack pine. That is continuing problem for me. I have to treat everything I saw for protection. I use a borate solution. I don't have the provisions to dip lumber but I do have provisions to flow the solution over the lumber. From observations, it seems to provide protection.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, there are insects that will attack wet pine lumber.  Termites can attack drier pine as can the old house borer.  The pages I copied are from a booklet with information on many other species of insects, most of which attack wetter wood.  The lyctid PPB is the only insect that attacks dry hardwood lumber.  If you have 1/16" diameter holes in pine sapwood, you likely have the ambrosia beetle.

Incidentally, if you sell lumber that has been treated with borates and the borate is still in the lumber, you are required to tell the purchaser about the presence of the chemical, using a consumer information sheet (CIS).
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Don P

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 25, 2018, 06:51:58 AMIncidentally, if you sell lumber that has been treated with borates and the borate is still in the lumber, you are required to tell the purchaser about the presence of the chemical, using a consumer information sheet (CIS).
The grocery store does not hand me paperwork with my produce. I'm not sure about this. Citation please?

Thank You Sponsors!