iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Published sawmill listing of Black Locust

Started by Sod saw, November 29, 2023, 09:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sod saw

Many sawmills have lists of Tree species and the dollar amount that they pay "today" for specific grades of logs.

Does any one know of any sawmills who publish a list that includes Black Locust on that list?

Thanks for your insight into this.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Sod saw

The reason that I asked this question is out of simple curiosity.

I know how much I have paid for Black locust in the recent past and I know how much I am able to pay in the near future, but have nots seen any listings from any place.

Just wondering about other areas of the country.  I have noticed that other species have different pricing in different areas of the country.

Perhaps there is no such listing.

It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Don P

Years ago a local sawmill had their crews bring in locust from their land along with the rest of the harvest. It didn't take long for them to tell them to leave it in the woods. The damage and low yield all along the way was not worth it. Later they got into firewood and again began taking it.

No affiliation, these folks are south of me, this is retail prices
Products ยป Robi Decking

Sod saw

Thanks Don,   I agree with the low yield.  But some of the Locust from here can be "ok".  It takes some extra effort but for our own use (we sell nothing) I don't mind.

With a full truck delivered, I have found a few logs worthy of larger timbers.  The rest is boards.

Some is so hollow that I use it for rustic lamp posts and don't have to work to insert the conduit up the middle.  Of course none of those lamp posts are the same diameter nor are they straight.

Any way, I was just curious about the rest of the country.

Thank You Sponsors!