iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Future Forestry Products logging arch

Started by Robert R, May 26, 2005, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I am in need of a quicker method for moving logs.  I usually have to skid a long ways (the last 2 jobs:  one was a half mile and the other just over a quarter mile).  I skid with horses and they can handle around 300 boardfeet at a time but have to spend a significant amount of time catching their breath.  I got the video from Future Forestry and it looks like the bee's knees--almost to good to be true.  For the same price, I can get a logging cart designed specifically for horse use but I learned earlier this week that I am being dinged at the mill for having dirty logs.  If I can get them completely off the ground, they will stay clean and the girls could move a lot more a lot quicker without all the stopping and blowing.  Does anyone have one of these?  Do they work as slick as the video shows?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Ironwood

I don't have a horse, but I can't say enough about the Future Forestry product line. I barrowed a friends tractor arch for many months as he built his house and idled his tree business, Great products well engineered and relatively inexpensive given their capacity. I don't think you would be dissatisfied. The "Tractor Arch" would be the minimum size for me, and the girls will like the fact that it is very light.

Future Forestry should sponser the Forestry Forum!!!! ;D

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Robert R

I like the size of the tractor arch and the girls could handle one of that size.  Unfortunately, at least with me at the reins, backing them is a bit precarious, especially with a dual-articulating set up like I would have to have.  I would put a small cart behind the horses and hitch the arch to that.  This would give me 2 bendy points to deal with while backing.  In the video, they show the man just picking up the ATV arch and setting it over the logs after he pulls alongside it.  I think they said it weighed 50-some pounds.  Any idea how heavy the tractor arch is?  Could it be lifted by one man over a log rather than backed straddling it?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

beenthere

Rober R
To avoid backing up the cart:

Will the 'girls' come alongside the log, and one step over it?  dragging the cart over the log?
Maybe not if the log is of any size.

Maybe on some logs, the team could walk the full length of the log from the top, with one on each side.  Seems that would only work for the best situations, and where all brush and limbs were knocked down pretty good (but maybe that is necessary anyway).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Robert R

Those are fantastic suggestions, Beenthere.  I wouldn't have thought of them.  Thank you muchly.  They ought to be able to straddle up to a 30ish inch log if I took their neck yoke off, which just clips onto each horse to keep them from spreading apart.  Up through low 20 inchers, even that wouldn't be a necessity. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Ironwood

The Tractor Arch, is tongue heavy. I put an adjustable channel style hitch at the front of the one I had fabricated (longest one they make, I think "5 position"). That way you can use a pintle or a standard ball, additionally I use the bottom two holes in the channel to mount a pneumatic wide tire that I welded up a swivel for. It is quick pin removeable and helps with not killing your back, I made mine a little bigger and heavier but the same idea would help with the Future Forestry Tractor Arch as well. Also the swivel and tire enables me to roll it down into a yard and winch the thing back to the truck without getting the truck stuck or damaging the yard as much. These mods. I am sure have been considered by them but due to "price point" consideration may not have been implimented. I have a small metal shop and the mods. to everything keep coming!!!! ???

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

caryr

Hi Robert,

50 pounds sounds a bit light for the ATV arch, but since I have the fetching/ATV arch combo mine may be a bit heavier than the normal one. The tractor arch is significantly heavier. It's not something most people would be able to lift over a log.

The ATV arch can fully suspend a 12' log the tractor arch can fully suspend at least a 14' log. Here's a picture of a large 20' log fully suspended using both the tractor and fetching arches.

Cary

Woodhog

You could always try one of these....if you have a decent road to your landing..

you could skid a bunch to a secondary landing in the woods and then load them up and
haul them out nice and clean...

http://www.payeur.com/En/products/Metavic.htm

Clix on horse drawn wagon line......

Ira

Hi, I haven't been here in a while,I had to reregistar to answer this post :o Robert,are you using any kind of a log cart/arch now?

thedeeredude

How about this kind?  Specifically made for horses.
small link

Robert R

Hi Ira, are you the Ira I think you are, of horse pulling fame?  No, I am not using anything but a chain and tongs right now.  I have looked at the cart from Farmer Brown's Plow Shop.  I like it real well.  Bit I like the idea of the logs being completely suspended and staying clean.  I do have a forecart but I picked it up while delivering my last load of logs, so I have not tried it yet.  If you are the Ira I think you are, I heard somewhere that you sell horse logging carts.  If that is you, where can I get info on it.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

thedeeredude

hosslog

Robert,Forest Manufacturing sells exactly what you are looking for,log cart with a trailer type arch.They have a catolog, the phone no. is 1-814-653-9695. They are amish so you might have to let it ring.

Robert R

That is a pretty cool setup, DeerDude.  You must be into horses also to have all these links.  That looks like it would be great to have but I am afraid that I am a little to small time to make that much of an investment reasonable.  Will go on the dream list, though.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

thedeeredude

Yep, where I live, horses and mules are just as popular as tractors.  Not only that, I'm researching these things for future issues( :)).  What you could always do is, if you're a welder or know a welder, make up your own DanG trailer and save a few grand.  Something like a wagon gear from an old farm wagon, weld bunks on the side and get some hydraulic cylinders and a small pump and use some overhead lifting tongs to make a loader.  It would be pretty cost effective, maybe $4000 or less. 

sawmill_john

I've known Mark Havel for quite a few years now, his products are well designed and built right, no cutting corners. and they do work just as easy as in the video.  I've used several of the smaller units at logging shows and I'll tell you what if you buy one, they save so much work, you'll kick your self for not getting one sooner!  They almost make your peavey obsolete.  If you have questions call Mark up, he a real nice guy, he hits the show circut to if he's coming out your way he might be able to bring one out and save on shipping. 

john

Thank You Sponsors!