iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to purchase a loper/ pruner that will last. Any suggestions?

Started by pebbles57, April 24, 2019, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pebbles57

I am in the process of cleaning up and thinning out a 70 acre woodlot.
We had a major ice storm twenty years ago and I have been working on this since than.  There is a lot of pin cherry and wood vines that need to go.
Most of this is in the one to two inch range.  I have been using a chain saw, but I want to get a good set of lopers that can handle this chore.
I have already gone through a few tools, the blades break and the tools fail.
Any suggestions on a good quality loper that will do the job and last?
Thanks for your input!
Kevin Rock

Logger RK

I've been pretty happy with a Fiskar's brand. Cuts pretty much what fits in it. 

wisconsitom

Pebbles,

AM Leonard used to carry a loppers originally made by an outfit called Sandvik/Pradines....whcih later became Bahco.  It was touted for years as their most popular model.  I remember not its number, but i can tell you, this little loppers out-cuts anything else I've ever had in my hands.....and that's a lot of pruning tools.

This item might now have morphed into an "AM Leonard" house brand....not sure.  Wish I knew what happened to that loppers.  Far and away, the best ever made, and not a big clunky one like many large-capacity ones are.  Slim and light-weight, easy to use.....had orange handles, nice narrow cutting head that fit into tight crotches with ease.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

florida

I always carry lopers, a machete and a brush ax when I'm cutting vines and small briush. The lopers typically never get used. I find a sharp machete to be many times faster and easier.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Brad_bb

I have a set of Corona lopers.  I prune the farm trees every spring.  Seem good to me.  I have sharpened the blade a few times using a scrap piece of wood and the sandpaper method.  You need a sharp blade for it to cut and long leave a thick string attached.  A dull or chipped blade will only be frustrating.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WranglerSS

Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Thank You Sponsors!