iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sapling ID

Started by Pepe_Silvia, November 06, 2020, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

I tried the app from Texas A&M that Texas Ranger recommended and got Ash.  Agree or too young to tell?

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

No! No!  That is wrong.  Not sumac.  I believe that it is black walnut. Notice that the terminal leaflet has aborted, a unique characteristic of black walnut.  Sumac has a terminal leaflet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

WHAT?? Danny not recognize Walnut? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, it's MASS HYSTERIA!!!  The end is near, the end is near...  Oh the horror the horror.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

It only took 4 minutes and 27 seconds for me to realize my horrendous botanical error :)

Southside

I could understand that logic if we were talking about some exotic wood that only grows above 10,000 ft elevation and north of 50° latitude in say interior Uzbekistan or something, then yes the 4:27 would be acceptable - disappointing, but defensible.  

But we are discussing black walnut here.....  I mean what's next you gonna start using two syllable words all the time now and retire from being a sesquipedalian extraordinaire or something?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on November 06, 2020, 07:36:33 PM
I tried the app from Texas A&M that Texas Ranger recommended and got Ash.  Agree or too young to tell?

That app certainly blew walnut.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I wrote myself up for poor performance and documented it in my Personel file.  I have put myself on an improvement plan  :).

Magicman

But how long did it take Sir Danny to identify a certain piece of Walnut at the Pig Roast??  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: WDH on November 06, 2020, 08:45:50 PMNotice that the terminal leaflet has aborted, a unique characteristic of black walnut.  Sumac has a terminal leaflet.
This is good to know - will definitely remember this going forward.  Ash/pecan/hickory all have a terminal leaflet, correct?

firefighter ontheside

Lol, I always like to look at these and make a guess before I see what Danny says.  I looked at this and thought it was walnut, until I saw Danny's answer.  I was disappointed that I was wrong.  Thennnnn I saw I was right!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I was just going to modify my post and correct it, but I did the stand up thing and admitted that I made a mistake ::).  First one that I have ever made ::).

firefighter ontheside

I appreciate that DAnny.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Thats a too-close-to-the-porch tree. 
Praise The Lord

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: mike_belben on November 08, 2020, 08:23:32 AM
Thats a too-close-to-the-porch tree.
:D
It was a volunteer in a pot that was supposed to be a small ornamental.  It's going to get moved.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on November 07, 2020, 08:54:21 AM
Quote from: WDH on November 06, 2020, 08:45:50 PMNotice that the terminal leaflet has aborted, a unique characteristic of black walnut.  Sumac has a terminal leaflet.
This is good to know - will definitely remember this going forward.  Ash/pecan/hickory all have a terminal leaflet, correct?
......and butternut........let us not forget butternut. But butternut has sticky hairs to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!