iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Types of pine

Started by Qweaver, October 09, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have 2 types of pine logs on hand.  One reduces in dia. a lot at each point where branches occur.  The other has far less taper and fairly smooth bark.  The one with a lot of taper is very time consuming to saw with a lot of loss.  I hate to saw these. I wish I knew more about pine.  I don't even know what to call these.  A lot of people bring these to me for making barn and shed siding and I guess it works OK.  Most people just call both "white pine" 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

In my area the one that tapers would probably be a hemlock.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Neither sound like white pine.  White pine is readily identified by the needles, as it has 5 needles per needle pocket.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Qweaver

The main problem that I have is that all of my pine comes to me as logs.  I never see the needles.  I really need to make an effort to learn how to identify the wood by it's bark.  I have a good book but it's hard to compare the tree to the pictures.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Jeff

Pretty sure WDH or swampdonkey or someone could id what you have if you can get an end grain photo.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

"Q" do you have any pines around that you can compare the bark.?Back in the WPA era the conservation corp planted a lot of I believe red pine around water supplies and municipal wells.White pine bark can vary from tree to tree or how far up the tree the log was cut.Local names makes it hard to get on the same page with trees.The upper part of a white pine the bark is smooth and the branches are an a circle around the trunk about 16" between the nodes.We have some real experts here they will be along. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bugdust

I'm presently sawing hemlock and almost every log has considerable taper. The WM toe boards really come in handy here.  Just got another order tonight for 50 2"x8"x16'. Almost 1/2 finished with an order for 34 - 2"x6"x17'. A lot of the guys don't like sawing hemlock, but with a lot of mine dying I'm not going to let them go to waste.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

delvis

Quote from: bugdust on October 10, 2013, 10:28:48 PM
I'm presently sawing hemlock and almost every log has considerable taper. The WM toe boards really come in handy here.  Just got another order tonight for 50 2"x8"x16'. Almost 1/2 finished with an order for 34 - 2"x6"x17'. A lot of the guys don't like sawing hemlock, but with a lot of mine dying I'm not going to let them go to waste.

I love sawing hemlock and I can sell it as fast as it comes off the mill and for decent money.  People just love the stuff for beams and the bigger the better.  As long as it doesn't have shake I can sell hemlock for at least $.40 a foot all day every day, and I bet it sells for more than that in different places around the country.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

WDH

White pine has limbs in whorls.  As you move up the tree into the live crown, you commonly see a noticeable diameter drop (taper) as you move past the whorls.  In the log sections below the live crown, you do not normally see a noticeable diameter drop.  You probably only have one species of pine, and the taper is a function of the log position in the tree.  The butt log (and lower logs below the live crown) do not have big diameter drops at the whorls of dead limbs or knots, but the upper logs in the live crown where the limbs have living needles will exhibit the noticeable diameter change.

White pine bark looks more like hardwood bark, say red oak, than pine bark like loblolly pine, red pine, jack pine, etc.  Also, as you move into the live crown, white pine bark will tend to get smooth and look even more like hardwood bark. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

I once mistook the bark of a white pine with honey locust.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Gary_C

Quote from: Qweaver on October 09, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
I have 2 types of pine logs on hand. 

How about some pictures of the two?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

clww

That's what we really need.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

I guess it all depends on who cut them and their knowledge of pine species of the area....err pinaceae to be more to the point. Meaning, a real pine, or spruce, larch, hemlock, fir. ;) I said it once before, it's a needled evergreen, so it's a pine to many folks. ;D

If the fellow said they were white pine, then I would need to see them to confirm or deny. Photo? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!