iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biomass

Started by MDLogging, June 04, 2013, 08:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDLogging

What is a fair price per ton for a logger to chip  stem wood and tops into biomass?   What is the going rate for those that do it now?  It cand be a dirty chip and a steady market.  Im talking about cutting skidding and chipping.  Dont include hauling or stumpage in the tonnage price.   Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

MDLogging

It CAN be a dirty chip is what I meant to write

Richard PM

Up here in Maine the current price for whole tree fuel chips (mixed soft and hardwood) is around $30 per ton delivered to the mill, take out stumpage and trucking and you aren't left with much but the land is far cleaner and chips are a great source of fuel and now there are a few companies building outdoor wood boilers that burn those chips for heat loads as low as 200,000 btu so there may soon be another market for them.

smwwoody

here in VA  fuel chips go for around $24/ton delivered to the mill
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

barbender

I don't know what chips are paying in this area, but I hear a lot of talk of the chip market going the wrong way :(
Too many irons in the fire

mesquite buckeye

If it isn't worth hauling, it might be better to let them rot for soil improvement.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

MDLogging

Quote from: smwwoody on June 04, 2013, 09:51:13 PM
that's not much.  how far is the average haul to the mill?

Richard PM

WOW thats short money, hold on to your equipment though guys as there is a new boiler coming onto the market very soon, Massachusetts EPA just approved it two weeks ago and the Feds will soon follow, If we can get enough people to buy in then there may be a new / local market for your chips. Boiler is 200,000 -- 500,000 BTU and burns the same stuff you guys are producing in the woods and it loves green chips

MDLogging

Quote from: Richard @ PM on June 06, 2013, 08:39:09 AM
WOW thats short money, hold on to your equipment though guys as there is a new boiler coming onto the market very soon, Massachusetts EPA just approved it two weeks ago and the Feds will soon follow, If we can get enough people to buy in then there may be a new / local market for your chips. Boiler is 200,000 -- 500,000 BTU and burns the same stuff you guys are producing in the woods and it loves green chips
How much tonnage would a boiler like that need?

WH_Conley

I would like to hear more info on that system. Maybe it's own thread.
Bill

Richard PM

Let's get it aproved by Fed EPA and then if the moderators will allow it I will give out the website. If however you happen to be in the Massachusetts area next week you could PM me and I will meet up with you to show it.

bill m

Where in Ma. are you?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

smwwoody

Quote from: MDLogging on June 06, 2013, 08:26:05 AM
Quote from: smwwoody on June 04, 2013, 09:51:13 PM
that's not much.  how far is the average haul to the mill?

that is for up to a 25 mile haul  they add more money the longer the haul
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Richard PM

Sorry Bill M I did not get your reply until after I left and just got home last night, too bad as I went right through Stockbridge, We had a great meeting with Mass DEP at the Hopkinton state park, they were very impressed with the chip burner. I am supposed to be at a pig roast at one of the local farms in Rutland Mass. on saturday 22 with a chip boiler running but I don't think it is going to happen as I sold the demo unit and am waiting for a new load. I should have them soon but not in time for the roast. I may just go anyway with the 250 cordwood unit and hand out flyers and take names of interested parties for my next trip. If you are interested send me your contact info and I can contact you before I hit the road again.

Richard PM

The best way for interested folks to get in touch with me to see this unit is E- Mail me @ mainlycustomsawing@yahoo.com

Timbercruiser

here in canada they are paying the land owner $2.50 a ton for stumpage not sure what they get at the mill ?  They are pushing for biomass power up here big time. Turns out that its the most expensive power to make per KW . Not sure if the market will get going   :)

Thank You Sponsors!