iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

please help ID these tree species

Started by bmdj, September 18, 2023, 12:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmdj

Hello all - 

I am trying to restore the woodlot edge at the back of our property that backs to a protected area by installing some native shrubs and there are tons of saplings and other things back there, only some of which I can identify either myself or with a plant app.  The plant apps were disagreeing on the photos attached here so I am hoping the awesome experts in this group can assist me in identifying them.  I think some of these might be the same kind of tree at slightly different ages, but I can't get the plant apps to agree either way.  Apologies in advance if we are not supposed to attach this many photos in a single post as I am a first time poster and would be happy to be guided otherwise.  I can also see that somehow two of the pics are duplicated (there are supposed to be nine total) but I am not sure how to delete the repeaters so please just ignore those.  I would welcome your help!  Thank you!

Barbara

beenthere

bmdj
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You can modify your post and remove any unwanted pics from your post, but not your gallery if used in a post. (rules at the bottom of every page).

I see you labeled the pics in your gallery, but not in your post. That would help to add that info for each pic when you remove the duplicates.

Adding your location to your profile will help providing answers as well. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Treeflea24

Quote from: bmdj on September 18, 2023, 12:49:40 PM

Dont know the plant in the middle. That leaf on the left of the photo used to belong to a Tulip Poplar

Elm or Beech

Ash or Hickory. if the leaves are opposite on the stem its an Ash, otherwise Hickory.

Sycamore. You probably dont want it next to your deck like that.

Hickory or Ash.

Hickory or Ash

TBH that looks like bush honeysuckle to me, but I've been killing so much of that lately that sometimes I also see it in my dreams too... 

Repeat photo

Ash or Hickory. I cant tell if the leaves are opposite or alternate.

Elm or Beech
I'm not an expert, but my best guesses are above.
-

KEC

The 2 identical photos with blueish colored leaves may be honeysuckle.

rusticretreater

I ran all your photos through identify.plantnet.org which has a drag/drop interface.  These are the no 1 responses for each of the ten photos.  The identification may not be correct as some of these pictures are from a distance. Many of the pictures return less than a 30% grade of confirmation of species. A good closeup of the leaves are more likely to return a positive identification.  But it is certain you have an american beech tree.

Northern Spice Bush  13.31%  Poison Ivy 9.65%
American Beech  90.93%
White Ash 25.75%
American Sycamore 31.66%
White Ash 36.46%
Oregon Ash 21.42%
Chinese Privet 32.56%
Chinese Privet 32.56%
Florida Ash 30.88%
Pignut Hickory 65.46%  poison ivy 14.38%

Pretty good matchup with what @Treeflea24 says.  8)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!