iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad idea to buy saw from store that isn't "full service"?

Started by JuniperBoss, January 17, 2013, 12:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

I've been looking into the Echo line of chainsaws. I want a very light chainsaw that I can swing around limbing all day every day and not get too tired. I do have a medium-sized saw from Stihl, which is not really very tiring, but I still want something smaller that I can swing around and not have tired arms after the session. How bad of an idea is it to buy a chainsaw from "Grange Co-op", instead of a "full service" Echo-dealing store? The nearest full-service store is like 60+ miles away, so there is no way I'll buy one from a full-service store. I don't even know if many people around here would fix one, if it broke, because Husky/Stihl are the big hitters around here. So is it worth it? I assume not. Tell me what YOU think.
     Also input on a good, long-lasting saw would be great (I like the looks of the Husky 435 too).
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Krieger91

I don't see a reason to initially buy the saw from a full service shop. However, i would avoid buying a saw whose brand DOESN'T have a full-service shop at least close.

As for a small saw, look into one of the small Husky or Stihl saws. I've got a Stihl MS180-C that i use for limbing. It's lightweight, nimble, and very easy to run all day without tiring.

The farmer i work for runs Husqvarna, and he owns both an older 141 and a newer 42, both are slightly bigger than my MS180, but they're still very good for limbing

bandmiller2

It depends if you can repair the saw yourself,if so shop your best deal.If you don't repair buy from a decent dealer,ask local tree guys. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I myself do not work on my saws much. I need a dealer. Yes,it costs more,I know that,but my patience are worth something. Have any small engines shop close by? I mean the small backyard guys that have about 12 lawnmowers outside,snowblowers too if you get snow,riding lawnmowers looking for a buyer or just for parts.  ;D They might work on it for you. Why Echo by the way? Cheaper? Instead of Husky or sthil?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Most shops around here carry a bunch of brands and therefore work on 2 or 4 brands of saws. I work on my own saws because I can and I save $$bucks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed

Dealers around here don't like it when folks bring in saws (or other equipment) bought at the big box stores, most will fix them as time permits. If they are really busy, regular customers come first.

One Husky dealer used to refuse to do warranty work on saws he didn't sell, claimed the paperwork wasn't worth the hassle as he didn't sell the saw and he probably would never see the customer again.

Ed

SwampDonkey

I can bet ya right now, a call to the brand owner would cure that. I've had car dealerships try to pull that one and it got cured quick.
The only priority ranking we see is the guy making a living every day at it versus the guy trimming around the yard on the weekends.

We had one dealer here, who was a nice fella, no complaints that I know of, but the fellow behind the brand said he had to get more inventory in or loose his dealership for the brand. He couldn't justify the extra stock, so he let it go. The dealership got assigned to a fellow in the nearby town. But the guy that lost his was off the beaten path a bit, so it might have been the best move for all.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JuniperBoss

I cannot fix these saws myself, but I do have several saw repair shops around. I don't know if they know how to fix one though. The reason I liked the Echo saws was because they are really light (Stihl doesn't have anything this light), and because I looked at some reviews and people say they last a long time and are reliable. They sound kinda cool too  ;D. What do ya all think of the Husky 435 or T435? The reviews seemed worse than the Echo. What is your choice on a very small, reliable, and long-lasting saw?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

rooster 58

Like the others, You need to be able to take your saw to someone who knows how to fix it. Buying from a box store is usually not a good idea. They ship their repair work to someone, or that person comes to get it, so your saw might sit on a shelf for days or a week or more before being looked at.
    Also, I would be wary of a saw that light. Too many plastic parts. Stihl, and Husky both make saws in wide power to weight ratios. A friend bought a stihl 260 that seemed pretty light, with reasonable power. Just my opinion ;)

SwampDonkey

Echo is reliable. They used to make a pro clearing saw and had the best warrantee when the others only gave 90 days.

old 030

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 17, 2013, 01:12:33 PM
I cannot fix these saws myself, but I do have several saw repair shops around. I don't know if they know how to fix one though. The reason I liked the Echo saws was because they are really light (Stihl doesn't have anything this light), and because I looked at some reviews and people say they last a long time and are reliable. They sound kinda cool too  ;D. What do ya all think of the Husky 435 or T435? The reviews seemed worse than the Echo. What is your choice on a very small, reliable, and long-lasting saw?

i like my 435 husky, very good on gas, and very light, i see echo has a new model lightweight arborist saw, i think it's model number is 335, somewhere in the 7 to 8 pound class, but i haven't seen it yet wait_smiley 

JuniperBoss

Old 030, how long have you had the 435? Do you use it often, like several times a week every week? I need something THAT WILL LAST and be sufficient for everyday "professional" use.

old 030

i use my 435 mainly as a trail saw, i haven't run it on a daily basis, so i can't say just how well it would hold up under those conditions, but in my mind this saw is not made for professional use, great saw for occasional use though, you may want to do a search for the model and see what else has been posted regarding this saw ;)   

trapper

I buy my saws and lawn equipment from the same dealer.  When I need something serviced he gives me great service. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

scully

My very old saw guy took on Echo for about a year ,but he is done dealing new saws now . I checkd them out and realy liked the big bore saw . But you need to have a service guy ! after you run a saw in you should take it for a tweekin ! I just took my Dolmar I use when I climb and he tweeked it ,WOW! what a diferance ! I do most of my own repairs etc. but some stuff has to go to a saw guy .
I bleed orange  .

Dave VH

even if it is a good reliable saw accidents happen.  My new stihl 192 fell out of the back of my truck the other day when the tailgate failed going through an intersection.  I was sure glad that the dealer was just down the street and could get me a new handle right away.  Without wasting money, I try to give that dealer as much business as possible, and they know that and treat me well accordingly.  I considered a new echo instead, but close by parts and service won out in my mind, and I even do some minor repairs myself.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

CTYank

Many "full service" dealers apparently offer a "wallet-lightening" service, with a side of "too expensive to fix it, let me show you the new models." How many examples does one need to learn how to service/repair a chainsaw? The carbs might have a learning curve. Dealer service goes for what- $70/hr? I'll pass.

For serious duty felling/bucking/limbing, I got a 40cc RedMax GZ4000 a couple months back. It's a "pro" saw FWIW, by the black muffler.  ;D Cost ~$330, which is hundreds less than some competitors. Light, nimble, powerful, quiet, great AV, excellent endurance on its little 10 oz. mix tank. Really excellent air pre-filtration. Min. air nasties with strato engine. Still loosening up, slowly, after 10-12 tanks. Lots of plastic bits- light & tough- what's the problem with that? Metal castings crack easily; get over modern materials.

Friend has Echo CS-310. It's become his GoTo saw because of many properties like I mentioned above. $200. He works it mercilessly. Power of saw is NOT the limiting factor for what can be done in a day, and fatigue is what gets you into the ER.  :new_year:
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

Power might factor into the equasion depending on how one looks at the big picture. More zip less cut time, less cut time less fatigue. More time for punctuation or being punctual for the finer things of life. :snowball:

SwampDonkey

I'm with Al. I want more bite and cut speed if I'm trying to make a living. If it's a hobby show, entirely different attitude. ;)

Al_Smith

Make a living ,pshaw I'm just trying to heat the house. :D

Tell what I did though the other day with an 024 Stihl of all things. Filled a pick me up truck in about an hour ,not bad for an old coot with a little 50 dollar saw. If I'd have been in a rush I'd have got out a fast saw. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!