iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoke cedars

Started by okmulch, March 13, 2014, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

Monday we had 80 degree temperatures and apparently the cedar trees liked it because on Tuesday we had 40 and 50 mph gusts and the pollen was coming off the cedars like I have never seen in 10 years being out here in Oklahoma. At first I thought a wild fire was coming from the south but with no black smoke or plumes it could not be. Then after watching for a little bit I could see swirls of pollen being blown off the tops of the cedar.

Here is a short video of the smoke cedars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2cSWdq1n4c
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

shelbycharger400

for a minute , thought you were working on a wood project.
Erc  if you lightly hit it up with a torch the growth rings Pops out, just enough but dosnt burn the wood.

drobertson

I hope that stuff is headed south and not east, I have never seen anything like that either,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sprucebunny

Thanks for the video !

I've seen pollen from white pine blow like that a few times.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

Sprucebunny, I've seen white pines do that too, but didn't know cedar would do it.   :P
Say when

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

okmulch

When I have cut cedars down this time of year pollen comes off when they hit the ground and a dust cloud comes off. I have even shaken some limbs with my hand and have had pollen disperse but this was like a fog coming in from the sea.

That much pollen in the air just means more job security for me.  :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Texas Ranger

OKMULCH, more the reason to build a reaally high wall on the Red, we got enough of our own down here, allergies are killing me already.  arg-smiley  arg-smiley
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

okmulch

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 13, 2014, 11:43:29 PM
OKMULCH, more the reason to build a reaally high wall on the Red, we got enough of our own down here, allergies are killing me already.  arg-smiley  arg-smiley
We'll lucky for you the wind was out of the south that morning.  :D

Magicman

That was neat to watch, and what is your shoe size.   ;D

Our Pines will be doing that very soon.  Everything and I mean everything will be yellow.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rockn H

That's a cool video :) 

Magicman, your pines and our pines too!  Right about Easter.  Everything will be yellow for a couple weeks at least.... and if the wind blows, it looks like a yellow dust storm out of one of those Great Depression documentaries. LOL  :D

chain

I thought you were joking with us on the cedar pollen. Because yesterday I had been working in the woods and driving back I saw  similar plumes of smoke from woods afire. Three separate plumes over about thirty miles, I know it created a very high smoke cloud over the S/E Ozarks; this was in the Mark Twain Forest area, figured they were doing 'controlled burning', such a nice quiet day.

But, today is another matter, high wind warnings..fire danger near extreme.

Corley5

We have pollen storms from the red pines in front of the house some years.  Conditions have to right when they're in bloom for it to happen.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

shortlogger

Yep , seen the the pines around here do the same thing . The whole side of the mountian will kick up pollen all at once like a yellow smoke cloud .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Dodgy Loner

Whoa, that's a lot of coniferous genetic material!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Our SYP pollen pods are hanging, so our yellow season is close at hand.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!