Best all-around tires for tractor

Started by livemusic, August 31, 2020, 11:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

In another thread, I posted...

I need a tractor for...
bush hog a 7 acre pasture
occasional dirt work on lawn at home, garden and 50-acre woodlot
tree work at woodlot (firewood and whatnot)
leveling garden (will buy a box blade)
moving stuff now and then with FEL

What tire types do you think are best in that if/when I ever have to do dirt work on or take out a tree on my lawn, I would not want it to tear up my lawn real bad? That could be repaired but I was thinking ag tires might be too harsh? Annual rain is 54 inches. And then again, I likely would not put a tractor on it with ag tires if it were wet. Wondering if R4 is a compromise. It seems R4 would be easier on a lawn.

My brother has a small 23-hp Kubota with landscape or turf tires and they are not worth a hoot in the garden, I def would not want that! Of course, that would not work at all in the woods.
~~~
Bill

PoginyHill

I do much of the same tasks as you. I am happy with my R4s for the reasons you mentioned. They do have traction, but won't tear stuff up when turning hard or spinning a bit. I use chains in the winter. Ag tires would also need chains in the winter. I've never needed chains outside of winter and have gone thru some mudholes with some spinning, but never stuck. 4WD is a must in my opinion.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

sawguy21

I had R4 tires on a 26 hp Kubota mostly used for mowing and occasional fel work as well as snow clearing. They were not much good in snow which won't be an issue for you but otherwise seemed to be the best compromise.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

Ag tires on the front will tear up the grass if turning sharp.  With that stated, my tractor has ag tires and when I buy new ones, they will also be ag tires.  The grass grows back too quickly anyway.  With ag tires, rear differential lock and limited slip up front, I still occasionally need to use whatever attachment I have on the front to get out of a bind.  Thankfully I have not encountered any ground like WDH did with his a few weeks ago.  My tires are loaded and the rear wheels are also weighted.
Caveman

Southside

How much will you be in the woodlot?  I ask because ply rating becomes rather critical pretty quickly in that situation.  A little staub that you clipped off with your saw suddenly turns itself into a Punji stick and takes out your tire in the worst possible location where you can't get a single tool onto it.  

With that much rainfall I would likely stick with the Ag tires and deal with any lawn issues if and when they arise.  Probably use your chain / tow strap a lot less often in that scenario.  Loading your tires with beet juice might not be a bad idea too as it will help with traction and give you some "get to a good spot" time if you do poke a tire.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Riwaka

I don't think I have seen one machine that will do all those tasks to a class leading standard.
Probably do them with a garbage dump compact track loader or tough tractor with a lot of add on attachments 

MECALAC | New Excavator / Crawler Excavator, high performance hydraulic excavator!
Mecalac 10 MCR with a few expensive add ons - grapple, mulcher etc. Cost more than regular excavator but have more power.
MECALAC 10MCR DOES IT ALL! EXCAVATOR-SKIDSTEER-FORKLIFT-LOGGING - YouTube

John Deere add tracks
Soucy tracks on small John Deere 4520 tractor, no flats
John Deere 4520 with Soucy Tracks Knocking Off Cranberries - YouTube
then add tougher cab for woods work
Exact-E cab on John Deere
The Exact E-Cab Harvesting Cab for John Deere - YouTube

Supertrak  the wheel loader is upped to 190Hp, winch on back could pull a twig or two.
SUPERTRAK SK170RTL - YouTube

Bobcat with mulcher on front
V519 VersaHANDLER Telescopic Tool Carrier - Bobcat Company

Merlo  multifarmer usa the small 136 horsepower, rear pto. Could put a logging winch on it. (there are tracked telehandlers that cost big bucks)
Merlo MF34.7 TCS ? Merlo

tracks for telehandlers - rear track clearance could be a problem for three point attahments on a 
merlo mf
Sneak peek of a track system prototype for compact construction equipment - YouTube

BargeMonkey

Honestly depends how much time you plan on being "in the woods", like Southside said, R4 wont take a stick to well. Can still ruin an ag tire but it takes a little more. If your getting a deal on a machine it is what it is, buy a set of chains for the winter or when it gets greasy, learn how to use the breaks separately 😆 

thecfarm

AG tires all the way.
Those R4 are worthless.
Mighty worthless. 
I had a tractor with ag's and one with R4. So I know how mighty worthless they are. Try digging a rock out on a downhill slope on grass when the ground is wet and back up with ag's. Than try just about the same place with R4's and you can tell the difference when the R4's sit there and spin.  ::)
About the only thing I find the R4's are good for is packing down a area that I brought in fresh dirt.
How many times are you on your front lawn? Three or four times a year?
Just about like me, maybe 3-4 times a year? I am out in the woods almost daily with mine. That is where I need the traction, not on my front lawn.
I have 8 ply tires, all the way around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

The lawn needs aerating anyway.  No matter how many inches i doze off mine it keeps growing back.
Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on August 31, 2020, 09:56:44 PM
AG tires all the way.
Those R4 are worthless.
Mighty worthless.
I had a tractor with ag's and one with R4. So I know how mighty worthless they are. Try digging a rock out on a downhill slope on grass when the ground is wet and back up with ag's. Than try just about the same place with R4's and you can tell the difference when the R4's sit there and spin.  ::)
About the only thing I find the R4's are good for is packing down a area that I brought in fresh dirt.
How many times are you on your front lawn? Three or four times a year?
Just about like me, maybe 3-4 times a year? I am out in the woods almost daily with mine. That is where I need the traction, not on my front lawn.
I have 8 ply tires, all the way around.
Completely agree. After having both R4 and AG's, I hope to never own R4's again. I can drive my 55hp tractor with AG's on the lawn when needed without making a mess. The R4's were helpless in the snow, wet, and mud.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

moosehunter

I have no experience with them but there is an alternative. R 3 is more aggressive than a turf tire or R4 but won't tear up the lawn like an R1. 
R4s are for pavement and hard pack. They are as bad as racing slicks in mud!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

mike_belben

Rice and canes ftw.  You cant go wrong on paddy tires. 

;D

Praise The Lord

btulloh

Quote from: mike_belben on September 02, 2020, 08:44:22 AM
Rice and canes ftw.  You cant go wrong on paddy tires.

;D
:D :D :D
Yeah, the R2 tires are great for destroying a lawn and spinning on firm or hard ground.  If  that's what you need, R2's are just the ticket.
I was forced to put R2's on my L3250 a couple years ago.  That tractor was shipped with 26" wheels and some odd size on the front.  The ONLY tires that will fit are R2's (after a nationwide search).  The front tires really like to dig when turning because of the small contact area.  Good for shallow tilling.  I've gotten by with them - because I have to.  Unless you've got rice or cane fields, stay away from R2's.  
My choice would always be R1 for general work.  
HM126

mike_belben

I loved em.  Our ground is clay and sand that doesnt freeze.  In the winter it slakes 3" deep or so and theyll dig until they get an armful, then lurch forward for the next one. 
Praise The Lord

btulloh

I guess it comes down to using the right tool for the right job.

What I'd REALLY like is to have a selector switch that allows me to switch from R-1, R-4, Turf etc.  That should be easy, right?  :D
HM126

Andries

You already have one of those switches.
The ignition switch.
Just get two more machines, that'll be three ignition switches, and presto!
Mark the keys: R-1, R-4, Turf
Instant tires switchers!
:D ;D :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

square1

Just put new R1s on this week. It's a lot less work to fix a few marks in the lawn than it is to unstick a stuck tractor 

Thank You Sponsors!