iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt driven/flywheel firewood splitter

Started by Rooster, October 25, 2009, 12:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

http://www.youtube.com/user/OurBarns#p/a/1/LTBOh2MgIx8

I'm not sure why it takes two guys to buck logs on the buzzsaw...but the spitter would be fun!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Tom

This is a real puzzle.  For some reason, I've been having a lot of troubly seeing some of the new videos.  They will provide audio while they load, but no video. If I replay, sometimes I get a picture and I can click on the moving button and see a still, but I can't see the thing as a movie.   I suspected my computer, but it has been cleaned up and has lots of room.  I suspected my connection, but it is a Broadband Cable connection and still shows the old videos. What the hey!!

beenthere

That buzz saw is very dull, or sharpened very badly. Might be why it takes two.  ::)
If placed nearer the splitter, the guy could take the block and have it split before the next one dropped off the dull buzz saw.  :)

There is a buzz saw on CL locally, and it is quite a creation.
Apparently it is for at least two people to use, as there is a short cradle for the log, and a lever to move the cradle on two-tracks.  May go to see it if I can, just to satisfy my curiousity. It is belt driven, and on a two steel-wheeled trailer arrangment.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mountaineer

what flavor of wood are they working with? anyone?

Harvey

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

Woodchuck53

I wish I had uniform dia. wood like that to split.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

isawlogs

I really like the demo's with knotless wood .  ;D  I want to plant some of those .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

The guy on the splitter best give it his full attention or he will be known as stumpy. It could get nasty if it hits a knot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

There's one of those splitters at the CAMA grounds here.  A guy could probably count on  one hand [because.............]   the reasons they aren't made anymore.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

RSteiner

I think I saw that splitter at a fair this fall around Concord, New Hampshire.  It was running but nobody was splitting anything when I was around it.

I think I'll stick with my SuperSplit, same principle but not quite as fast or dangerous.  With that old splitter I wondered what would happen if a nice knotty piece didn't split but hung on to the wedge.  I guess it would make a great walnut or hickory nut cracker.  :)

Randy
Randy

timberfaller390

While this machine does look dangerous I would say since the wedge doesn't go all the way down to the table it would be alot safer than the old splitter someone posted a vid of that had a 10' dia. flywheel with two wedges attached that swung around, hit the wood, went through a slot in the table and came back arount again, narrowly missing your hand on every pass.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!