iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of Maple tree is this.

Started by fluidpowerpro, July 28, 2022, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

Hi, I have a lot of these Maple trees on my land near Holyoke MN. None of them get very big as far as diameter. 12" would be a big one. It also seems that once they get that big they start getting hollow. Can someone tell me what kind of Maple they are?

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

SwampDonkey

Sugar maple. The maple syrup tree. ;) Up here they grow really slow unless out on a lawn or field.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This old bruiser is more than likely hollow.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Sugar maple veneer is good money for 14"+ top end.

Great firewood otherwise.

fluidpowerpro

Yes, they do seem to be slow growing. Is sugar maple considered a hard or soft maple?
Change is hard....

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, sugar maple is hard maple, nice wood. Those leaves are a dead giveaway. They do tend to hollow when they get old, but they can still live a long time. My cousin has a pair on his front lawn that have been there for well over the hundred years that house has been in the family, somewhere around 40" DBH. Big hollow cavities in both, but healthy trees.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

A very similar species is black maple, another hard maple. Very small range in comparison, not much of it in NE. None of it east of south western Quebec in Canada. Never here of it in the log market, I doubt anyone could separate the logs.

SwampDonkey

I had an arborist cut a yard sugar maple that was 40" on the stump. It was sound except for a small wedge shape of rot from a dead limb. I have another the same size, I'm pretty certain it is hollow. Birds used to nest in a hollow cavity in a crotch of it. Some dry summers and some digging around it has caused some fine limbs in the top to die back. But still lots of life in it. I have a photo with dad, his siblings and grandparents. He was 4 at the time and it is broom handle sized then. Dad would be 84. An uncle planted it and 2 others there. I'd say the tree was close to 100 depending on where it started out in life. If it was shaded when young, it could 20 years older.

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....

Al_Smith

Sugar maple is the local type not red or silver maple .They can get some size to them .Funny though in my back yard I have a hollow one about 90 feet tall .A squirrel can go from the roots up 50 odd feet on the inside of it and jump out at the crotch .It obviously won't last forever but in spite of the inner rot seems pretty stable . In my woods the average canopy is right at 95 -100 feet and the maples are right up there with the oaks .Many are over 30-36".There are a zillion saplings every where along with believe it or not little ash trees and of course a scad of hickories the squirrels have planted .

Al_Smith

In this area of Ohio is farm country .Decades ago during late winter early spring many farms had "sugar camps " .A means to generate income during that time of the season .Although by the 60's many had became just piles of rusty old iron and rotted wooden structures I'd come across the ruins of what used to be from possibly the 30's and 40's .What little of that remains is more of a hobby type thing these days .I know a few that do it .

Thank You Sponsors!