iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with 8 h.p. Briggs & stratton ?

Started by bama20a, April 27, 2011, 12:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Hope this is the right place to post this.
I've got an old 8 hp,(garden tiller) It hasn't been run in years when I got it.I had to put a new float in the Carb, Checked the valve, I did have to file one down & they are set right.(think)I got it started up,But when I let it run for just a few min's I noticed the muffler got a red glow on it,So I shut it off.
Can anyone give me any pointer's to look for? Thanks Mark,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

trapper

carb set too lean or an air leak.  Others correct me if this is dangerous.  To find an air leak I start the engine.  I take a propane torch turn on the propane but do not light. I pass the nozzle past the gasket between the carb and block' also around the head gasket.  If the engine speeds up doing this you found the leak and need to replace gasket and maybe resurface the mating surfaces.I was taught to resurface on a surface plate using wet sandpaper in a figure 8 motion.  In a pinch use a piece of glass as a surface plate.  also others with more experence may tell you that it is normal for the muffler to turn red.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!