iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgraded my sawmill shed with spray foam

Started by 123maxbars, June 09, 2019, 01:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

When we bought the farm last fall the building that would house the mill had a metal roof and was open on the end and partially on the side.  Other than cleaning out the area the biggest problem I had was the insulation. The building had this paper thing insulation that was tore in most places and falling off every time I tried to repair it. I made the call last month to get closed cell spray foam installed.  The contractor showed up last week and did the whole building in one day. The building is 20x70, 20x30 is the wood shop  and the rest 20x40 is the sawmill part. They sprayed 1 1/2 thick closed cell and got the job done in about 6 hours.  The biggest difference so far is the building is now a lot cooler and in the morning I have no more condensation dripping down on the LT40.  Very happy with this decision and would encourage anyone with a condensation issue that this will help your problem.  I also had a few small leaky/drips in the ceiling around screw head that attached the metal to the trusses. This also fixed that problem also.  The cost was $2500.00 and they also did the gable ends also. I have two barns to build here in the future and both will get this same treatment. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBGMykhyZ8
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

YellowHammer

Nice.  Everything that's done to improve working conditions, pays off every day.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

Interesting how the metal pattern telegraphs through the foam with all the layers he put on there.  They say it will stop the leak but I'd be a little concerned that the water is still getting through the roof to the trusses.  I'd do something from the top to seal the screws like a dab of tar or some caulk.  Or maybe remove and replace one at a time with new ones with the rubber washers.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

The next thing you know, Nathan is going to start shaping the foam, adding chicken wire, and spraying concrete to make it look like a natural cave!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

Very nice, 
You guys in the south have it easy with a light building. Up here the snow would crush the thing.
I hope it does all you want it to do.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Looks like they have done that a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wudman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 09, 2019, 07:40:45 PM
Interesting how the metal pattern telegraphs through the foam with all the layers he put on there.  They say it will stop the leak but I'd be a little concerned that the water is still getting through the roof to the trusses.  I'd do something from the top to seal the screws like a dab of tar or some caulk.  Or maybe remove and replace one at a time with new ones with the rubber washers.
The water was probably coming from condensation.  Those lightweight metal buildings aren't ventilated at the top so all of the moisture is trapped.  One of my neighbors has one that is enclosed on three sides and has a dirt floor.  It is basically useless as it rains from the condensation.  The spray foam will prevent the temperature gradient and alleviate the condensation. 
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!