iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 450e Rancher W/20' bar will not take 78 link chain as per manual

Started by dennishiip, July 14, 2014, 06:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennishiip

Purchased 2 new Oregon 20LPX 078G chains to change out stock safety chain. Manual states saw takes 0.325/50G/78link chain. I go to change out with the new and no fit. I count the links on the old chain and it's 80 link (inappropriate language edited by admins)!!!I call Husqvarna and they're no help and tell me to take it to a dealer. Can this possibly be right that the saw came with an 80 link chain?

CTYank

Now you know. So, you can return the loops, or have a few drive links inserted into each. Stuff happens. It's not difficult to take off the OEM chain and count DL. You won't have to do that but once. With chain properly folded, you only have to count half the DLs.

Meanwhile when I DAGS on [husqvarna 450e .325" pitch chain 20 dl ] I find that Jack's Small Engines sells 80 DL chain loops in the pitch and gauge for that saw for $24.55.

In case of any doubt, I'd search on Bailey's website, or call them. They sell a whole lot of chain.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Oliver1655

John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

webgal

If you ordered 20LPX78G, then no matter what saw you have, that is the chain you should have gotten. If you ended up with 80DL and told them that you needed a 20" chain for your 450, that is possible too.

Checking the 2013 dealer list of what goes with what, 80dl is spot on.

Next question, have you tried it? Manual could be old. At 20" and .325 the DL has historically varied. Must be the bar choice they use. I've been caught out before handing out a 78dl and then the customer complain it is too long. :-\ At Bailey's we laboriously tell the customer to please count your drive links and get back to us.

I hope that helps.

and Good Morning
Webgal
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

SawTroll

Quote from: dennishiip on July 14, 2014, 06:59:10 PM
Purchased 2 new Oregon 20LPX 078G chains to change out stock safety chain. Manual states saw takes 0.325/50G/78link chain. I go to change out with the new and no fit. I count the links on the old chain and it's 80 link (inappropriate language edited by admins)!!!I call Husqvarna and they're no help and tell me to take it to a dealer. Can this possibly be right that the saw came with an 80 link chain?

They changed the specs for standard 20" .325 bars from 78 to 80dl a few years ago (to get them closer to true 20" bars). Your manual likely was printed before that point, and your bar made after it.

It is a well known fact that there are bars that take different dl counts for the same "called" length around (regardless of the above), and that you have to look at what it says on the bar in each case (or count the dl of the old chain).

This is your own fault, no point in trying to blame someone else!  ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!