iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY bandsaw and rpms

Started by revid, May 10, 2015, 08:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

Building my own bandsaw and wondering about rpms?I am using a Honda GX340 motor with a 3"clutch and tires measuring 19.25. What size should my drive pulley be for 1 1/4 blades?

gww

rev
Here is a caculator that you can put differrent size pullys in and see the out come of your blade speed.

http://vintagemachinery.org/math/sfpm.aspx

I hope this helps
gww

boscojmb

Assuming 3600 engine RPM and a 3" pulley on the engine;
A 13.5" pulley would get you ~4000 FPM,  a 15.5" pulley would get you ~3500 FPM.
If you run the belt right on the 19.25" drive tire you will be at ~3000 FPM.

The blade can run faster with a larger engine, but with a small engine I would stay in the 3000-4000 range.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

boscojmb

I find it easier to do calculations in my head, but someone mentioned a calculator on another website earlier in this thread.
The Forestry Forum has it's own band speed calculator and several other calculators for those folks that don't like doing math in their head.
Here is the link to the forum calculator https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/bandspeedcalc.htm
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

revid

thanks guys for the info.I emailed a couple of companies to find out what rpms are the best for their respective 1 1/4 blades but Iam assuming they are all in the same range but dont know for sure.

Den-Den

The "best" speed for your bands will be determined by the engine power and max cutting width.  You want each tooth to cut a small shaving and carry it out through the kerf.  If you get the speed too high; the engine will bog down on wide cuts causing you to cut slowly, each tooth will be scraping dust.  This would result in poor blade life and slower than optimum cutting.  If you get the speed too low; the engine will not bog down, each tooth will take a bigger bite and will have trouble carrying the chip through the kerf on wide cuts.  This would result in wavy cuts and slower than optimum cutting.  I will guess that 3000 ft/min would be a good starting place but some experimenting will be necessary to find the best compromise.
I am sure there is a max speed for the blades when power is not limited but don't believe that you will be near that number with the Honda GX340.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

revid

Most of the companies got back to me and it looks like they are all around the 5000 rpm range. Anyone got a link or know where to by a 12-12.75" cast iron pulley in Canada.Would like to get the ones with changeable bushings.Got a site state side but with the dollar like it is and shipping everything is gone sky high.

bandmiller2

I believe, from experience, that bands will stay sharp and last longer at the lower end of the band speed range. The lost production won't amount to a tinkle hole in the snow. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!