iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shade Umbrella Installed on LT35

Started by SawyerTed, May 22, 2018, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

My last sawing job was last Monday.  The weather forecast said 90 degrees.  The thermometer where I was said something different, 98 degrees!

It was obvious that I need some sort of shade if I am going to continue sawing during the summer.  I did a quick search for tractor umbrellas and the FEMCO brand umbrella came up.  The reviews were mixed but I figured I could make it work.  It came from the local farm supply box store.

It installed with only one modification - I drilled out the screw hole in the lip of the control console to mount the upper bracket.

L

Here is the umbrella installed

This is the mounting tube showing the bolt in the drilled lip of the control console.

These are the mounting rods bolted to existing bolt locations.

The mounting tube was shortened by about 2 1/2 inches to clear the fender.

I tested the mount by running the head forward and backward several times and by running the head to its highest point. So far so good.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Looks good but you may have to take a pipe bender and angle the upper section more toward you.

I know that I could not saw in July & August without my umbrella.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

yup, that's nice.....needed that last Saturday!

add another project to my list!!!!!   Thx.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

SawyerTed

This afternoon the umbrella proved its worth.  It kept my upper body in the shade.  The difference was noticeable.   

I agree, MM, that a slight bend in the tube will help with the shade and the clearance around the lube jug and other parts of the head.  

I might have been able to mount the bracket on the side of the control console but that would have defeated the goal of minimal modification.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Larry

I remember a job a few years ago where the temperature was high 90's and almost as high humidity.  My idea was to saw until noon or so and knock off for the day.  My customer, who was playing off bearer, was desperate for his lumber and wanted to saw all day.

Ok, I sat at the console under the umbrella.  Yes, sat as I carry a three legged bar stool.  At arms length was a big glass of ice tea.  Two PM and that was all he wanted.  I was nice and even let him rest and drink some of my tea. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

An electrician with an EMT bender should be able to add a bit of sweep to it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I'm sure an electrician or a fab shop can bend it in a couple of minutes.  An old industrial arts teacher with a challenge in front of him can probably bend it in a couple hours!  :D

Magicman

Yup, the main thing is the dies to keep it from crimping.

Crossroads

I might have to get one of those before I get a seat. I've already gotten sun burnt twice this year. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

I have one and I just drop the pipe down into the top of the mast, use a bungee cord to lash it to the very top of the lift chain and all is good.  I will get a picture of the set up if anyone wants to see it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

MattM

@SawyerTed how's the femco umbrella holding up? And how well does it handle strong wind gusts? I need a new umbrella for my lt35 my current 2 umbrella have flipped inside out on me one too many times  :veryangry: but I don't want to drop 300$cad on an umbrella unless I know it won't flip and will.last at least a few years

Thanks, Matt 
LT35HDG25

Magicman

Here is the umbrella that I just got to replace a storm damaged one:  LINK

MattM

That's the same type of umbrella I was looking at getting. How do you find it in windy conditions?

It kills me that our economy up here is so bad that I have to pay $300 for an umbrella that costs you guys $140.   :veryangry:
LT35HDG25

Magicman

The frame beneath this umbrella locks in place when it is open so I do not see how it could possibly flip inside out. 
IMG_5133.JPG
I had to replace my previous frame because a tree limb fell across and bent the shaft shown below.

I had to do some serious searching to find that price and was very surprised to see that Walmart was a reseller for it.  It was shipped from AllStatesAgParts who I found had the same umbrella, with shipping, for the same price.  Go figure??

Thank You Sponsors!