iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work boot

Started by bodagocreek2, November 22, 2018, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodagocreek2

Just wondering what a good work boot to wear in the woods winter and summer such as insulated/ waterproof etc. Currently and for many years wore Red Wings. Just thought their might be something different/better. Any suggestions?

John Mc

Are you looking for chainsaw cut protection, or just a work boot?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bodagocreek2

Just a 8 inch high all around work boot.

DPatton

There are a lot of options out there for boots, some good, some not so good. Personally I still believe that you get what you paid for with boots the majority of the time.
   I just purchased a pair of Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots (made by Red Wing) this past week. My old boots (different brand and less expensive) still appeared to be in ok shape on the outside, but they were killing my feet. I have previously owned two pairs of the Elk Trackers, so I decided to pay up and go back to them. 
  They are an all leather 10" boot with 800 grams of thinsulate and Goretex. I wear them year round for working, hunting, and at the sawmill. It's amazing how much better my feet already feel after just one week. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Dave Shepard

It really sucks when you have wide feet. I used to wear Red Wings, but they don't make a very wide shoe. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DPatton

I wear wides too. My Red Wing store didn't have wide in stock but were able to order them in, it took about two weeks.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Dave Shepard

I don't wear wide shoes. I wear w  i  d  e shoes. I've got EEEEEE wide boots on now, but I have to get them wet and stretch them to get them on. I once asked Hitchcock Wide Shoes why they didn't actually sell wide shoes. They didn't like that. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Busysawyer

Back in my commercial construction days it was almost always redwings. Occasionally I'd get a pair of Carolina or Wolverines.  Overall I liked redwings the best but none of them would last more than 6 months on the job. Since I quit that line of work boots last much longer.  If you are looking for something very comfortable and well built I absolutely love my meindel perfekt hiker. No steel toe if you need that these wont work for you. I've been wearing mine almost everyday for 3 years. They are a little beat up and some of the stitching is coming off but considering the hours on them I'm thoroughly impressed. Very comfortable hiking boot for spring, summer, and fall. A little on the warm side for summer and not enough insulation for long days outdoors in Michigan winters but it's a good compromise.  If you have deep pockets try a pair of filson. I've always wanted to try them but couldn't bring myself the pay the price.  I have a few filson garments that I received for Christmas gifts many years ago and they are very well made. If I had the cash all I'd wear is filson clothing.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

lxskllr

I wear combat boots. I have various styles/generations, and pick which I'll wear according to conditions. I get most of them from thrift shops, but I bought one pair new. They're perfect for my purposes. They wear pretty well, are comfortable, and relatively tall. They also go well with the BDU/ACUs I wear. I wear them military style with my pants tucked in the top. Keeps bugs out, and I can walk in mud up to my knees, and it doesn't get in my boots, or jammed up the pant cuffs.

Magicman

Always steel toe.  John Deere in the Summer and Danner in the Winter, both waterproof/resistant.  I avoid lug soles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmaker

Wolverine for 3 seasons, Lacross Ice kings in the winter; I really hate cold feet
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

hopm

Last 2 pair I've bought have been Danner quarry. Good boot. Last pair I got off Ebay for $33. Looked new.

WV Sawmiller

I wear CE Schmidt 9" logger boots from TSC around the mill and am well pleased with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Logger RK

Carolina Steel Toe Logger's in the summer & Sorel Caribou's in the winter. Iv tried more expensive summer boots,but didn't seem to last much longer then the cheaper ones. 

DPatton

Quote from: woodmaker on November 22, 2018, 09:26:00 PM
Wolverine for 3 seasons, Lacross Ice kings in the winter; I really hate cold feet
Woodmaker,
Years ago I used to wear Wolverine boots too, and really liked them. But the local "Foremost Outfitter" started limiting the number of brands they offered and started offering much more of their own brand of footwear. Wolverine was one of the brands they stopped selling.
 Like you and others here have said both LaCross and Danner make good boots too, but there arch support design is just not right for my flat wide feet.

D & S Sawmill Services

Wudman

American made Red Wings.......Most of the lower end Red Wing brand is imported now.  I'm getting about 4 years out of a pair of the American made ones.  I'm on my third pair at the moment.  I wear them every day, but I take decent care of them.  I do work in a fairly dry environment now.  In my days in the swamps, about 6 months was all I could get out of a pair of boots.  It was Rocky's and Timberlands in those days.  Those brands have both gone downhill in my opinion.  I change the insoles out as needed and wear a pair of the WalMart step on the Dr. Scholl's computer inserts.  They made a major difference in my life.  I also wear the lifetime guarantee Red Head socks from Bass Pro Shops year round.  I've traded some of those in 5 times.  When I put on a pair of regular socks, my feet are miserable.  My wife is a nurse and spends 8 hour shifts on concrete.  I finally convinced her to buy a pair of the insoles and it has her walking comfortably again (planar fasciitis).  I wear an 11 1/2 EEE.  I have had to order them. They can be rebuilt if you choose to go that route.  I have opted for a new pair.  Four years into a $300 purchase is a pretty good per unit return.

Wudman  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

terrifictimbersllc

I wear Wesco Jobmaster 12" boots.  Regular leather in the summer, another pair black silicone leather with thinsulate insulation in the winter.  Both are custom fit cost extra at the beginning but second pair was copied and worth it.   I just had the first pair completely rebuilt by them late summer, really just like new but fit like old.  Fantastic.  Wish they sold waterproof boat deck type boots. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Autocar

I second Wesco pricey but well worth it.
Bill

SawyerTed

Just bought a pair of Rocky all leather steel toe boots.  They were on sale and I ran across them looking for Carolina Loggers.  I wore them all day today and I feel like I had sneakers on instead.  I don't know how they will hold up but if Rocky hunting boots are an indication, they will last several years.  Where I live an insulated boot isn't really necessary but waterproof is.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

loganworks2

I have worn the the perfekt hikers by miendle from Cabela's for close to 20 years. They fit like a glove for me, great support and long wearing. I get about 4 years out of them working construction and wear them 7 days a week. I had Redwings before that. They were comfortable but I was going through 2 pair a year.

bodagocreek2

I have worn the Red Wings for 7 years, two pair a year. They feel great the first 6 weeks or so but seem to go down hill fast. Maybe they were the imported ones, but they are still over $100.00 a pair. I will check on Irish Setter, Filsm, Danner, Wesco and Miendle. Thanks for taking time to respond.

mike_belben

I have wolverine thinsulated loggers but only wear when i have to put on gaffs.  A full high heel is too much for me any other time,  But theyve been good boots, very durable and warm. 

My past career put me in mandatory steeltoes and i had timberland pros for a decade.  They used to be way better, dies in 2 years now.  The center of the sole under the ball of my foot sinks in and corrodes apart from the inside then springs a leak.  

I wear boggs muck boots when its mushy and steeltoe not required.  Theyre a comfy boot and i got a free replacement pair on the last day of their warrantee.  It leaked early on and i just happened to find the receipt on last day.  I was stunned they honored it and for that reason will buy again. Theyre cheap too.  2nd set has been great.  

I just got a pair of justin model wk4656 for $79 last month and love them, exactly what i needed. Other than the cowboy stitching anyways.  My feet have been funky since the showers at parris island and i cant lace up or fungal explosion from sweat is imminent.   Well that means im always getting saw chips in my socks and boots.  These are slip on high tops like a cowboy boot but with a steel toe almost logger bottom, and a decent woods tread sole.  They vent well, theyre flexy, safe, fairly warm and keep the chips out.  And roomy in 11.5EE. 

My winter hunting boots are kamiks and im also impressed with those. 

It is rare for me to lace any boot regardless so take that into consideration.  
Praise The Lord

JB Griffin

Irish Setter Elk Trackers no. 882 in 12H (the H stands for HUGE). On my second pair in 6 or 7 years, get 2-2.5yrs out of them before getting them recapped and 1.5-2yrs after that.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Dave Shepard

H is the Red Wing equivalent of EEEE, or about EEEE too narrow.  :-\

Old Greenhorn

I wear Georgia Loggers. Probably a little more boot than you want, but we are in hilly and very rocky terrain and the rocks tend to grab my ankles and shins when I am working in the woods (I have many scars and scabs). Wish they were just a bit taller. They were under $100. and have they protection I need and allow me to slosh through the swamp without worry. I have lots of boots, but these are the ones I like for heavy tree and milling work. For general chores around the house I either have common 5" hikers or one of several pairs of my zip side fire/EMS boots. They have shanks and composite toes. But the latter do not last long doing logging work and my ankles take a beating on the razor sharp bluestone around here.
I would really like to get a pair of Danner smoke jumper boots ($300.), but can't afford them for the time I get in the woods. All my younger associates that make their living around logging, mills, and heavy equipment swear by them. Danner also has a lot of nice boots in the $100.-200. range. Danner offers a rebuild service on their better boots too. Someday maybe.
It's a tough search, good luck.
Tom

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!