iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee Table from Sweetgum Ovals

Started by kelLOGg, March 18, 2019, 08:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have had a challenging relationship with sweetgum but finally prevailed even on the toughest part - drying - and now I have something to show for the efforts. I started by sawing ovals and this post is what I did with the half ovals before I started sawing off the full ovals. (Note: the pics are not in order but are numbered for clarity)

1) Started sawing with the log at about 30° from the bed

3) Selected 4 of them and sawed a slot on the mill to receive a spline

4) I inserted an oak inlay and rubbed down with tung oil. Table is 4' diameter and 18" tall. My plan is to add a glass top.

2) The half ovals posing at their family reunion ;D

5) The base is WO stained with pine stain to go with the sapwood

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Wudman

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Kindlinmaker

Outstanding. Very unique. This type of work is what makes tree to finish woodworking worth the effort and cost.  Great piece. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

AZ_builder

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

alan gage

Quote from: kelLOGg on March 18, 2019, 08:14:58 AMMy plan is to add a glass top.

I thought it was a very nicely done but completely impractical table until I read through the post a second time and saw the above quote. Glad to see it will be both beautiful and functional. Nice work.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

Very neat concept and execution. What is the likelihood that bark will stay on? Any extra steps involved to try to preserve it that way?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 18, 2019, 04:46:59 PMAny extra steps involved to try to preserve it that way?

You don't expect him to spill his secrets, do you?  Then he will have to fight to keep his Highly Valuable Walnut Sweet Gum! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

his Highly Valuable Walnut Sweet Gum!

In my dreams. However, it is a good feeling to take a much maligned and misbehaving wood and make something attractive from it. I have lots of whole ovals (bark on 360°) which I might use to make a long narrow table. 

The bark is still very tightly bound to the sapwood and is quite hard, maybe because of the long kiln time it took to dry it. It was in the DH kiln for several months before it got to 8% MC. I then followed it up with sterilization at 133°F at the core. It came out of the kiln early Jan. The bark withstood a good bit of handling during the construction; I hope that is a good indication of its longevity. (Here's an interesting aside: the whole ovals did not crack during drying but the half ovals did where there was no bark.)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I could say that will be a nice looking table. But it all ready is a nice looking table.  A great idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

The glass top is going to cost me an arm and a leg so I have a cheap "idea". Put a taller base on it and two diners will have built-in elbow rests. :D Then  kid's parents can't say "get your elbows off the table"

cbla

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!