iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stainless buck covers

Started by Dana Stanley, June 24, 2019, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

Can anyone point me in the direction of stainless bunk covers. I checked the Woodland Mills site, as they have them on the HM130, but I didn't see them for sale as an accessory!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Pabene

I would order stainless steel covers from a sheet-metal shop in your aria. Remove one bunk from your mill and and bring it to the shop, ask them to make covers for you. I am sure you then can epoxi glue it to your bunks, clamp the covers as the epoxi cures.

Dana Stanley

Can someone with a HM30 tell me how thick the covers that Woodland mills uses are? I'm thinking they just protect the paint so the bunks don't rust out!(edited-Also protect wood from stains) I don't know that I need stainless. I was thinking 26ga zinc Galvanized from HD is 26.00 for a 2x3 sheet. I have a shear and brake that can cut and bend that. The bunk has holes already for bolts. Any thoughts on that? I just don't know what is commonly uses on 3x6 bunks.
I don't want to spend too much more on this, as so far it is just a hobby. I'm a yankee, we are notoriously cheap. That's why we came up with Yankee ingenuity!  8) I hate moving emojis! That's why although good advice,(thanks) I'm not jumping on the have them fabricated idea.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

btulloh

I don't worry about it on my hm126. Using it keeps the rust off. If it sits, I'd spray something on to protect it. Maybe clean it, ospho it, and hit with a little paint. After three years, mine is not hurting.
HM126

Dana Stanley

Quote from: btulloh on June 24, 2019, 05:16:10 PM
I don't worry about it on my hm126. Using it keeps the rust off. If it sits, I'd spray something on to protect it. Maybe clean it, ospho it, and hit with a little paint. After three years, mine is not hurting.
From what I understand, and have seen, the rusting metal can quickly stain some wood. Although so far I just make sheds and fence posts. I do want to make some finer wood projects. Signs for one thing. That was a big reason for getting it, to make wider planks for signs, and cedar if I can get my hands on some. Not real common here anymore.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Magicman

It's not necessarily rust but the tannic acid particularly in Oak that reacts with iron and stains the lumber blue.  The stainless steel covers isolate the iron in the sawmill from the tannic acid in the log/cant.

The same thing that happens when metal is in Oak and some other species.

There was no doubt that this Walnut log contained metal, and it did.

Neither was there any doubt about this White Oak log on the right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

twobears

it really wouldn't matter how thick it was as long as there all made with the same guage metal..i'de use stainless steel tho.i'de use 1/8 inch or maybe alittle less.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Magicman on June 24, 2019, 08:45:50 PM
It's not necessarily rust but the tannic acid particularly in Oak that reacts with iron and stains the lumber blue.  The stainless steel covers isolate the iron in the sawmill from the tannic acid in the log/cant.

In my short time sawing I have seen it. One day it began to rain so I went in, and overnight the cant on the mill developed a large deep stains. (Oak)
Woodland Mills HM-126

Hilltop366

I used wood (spruce) with counter sunk bolts over the steel on my DIY mill. 

Crusarius

Definitely do not use galvanized it will get you nothing other than where you are now. Stainless is the only way. I would recommend 16 ga wrapped completely over the bunk then bolt each side to the edges of the bunk. that way it will not move or get peeled when sliding logs around.

I noticed with my mill I got the stains on the wood immediately just from flipping them around. I am looking at doing the stainless steel bunks but need to figure out how with my clamp setup.

YellowHammer

I made mine using basic sheet metal tools.  1/16" stainless, bent into a U shape, slipped over the tops of the bunks and sheet metal screwed into the sides.  They keep the wood from turning blue.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

RAYAR

I worked with sheet metal including stainless for the last 30+ years and I would recommend not going less than 16 guage (1/16") if possible for bunk covers.

Ray
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Tropical Sawyer

Can't help you on where to buy them from, but if you want to make your own, I measured mine which came from the factory and they are 1.7mm thick.

Definitely make them out of stainless. A benefit which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that stainless is very smooth and "slippery" compared to galvanized. This makes it much easier to turn and handle logs on the mill.

They also look pretty flash :).

As Crusarius mentioned the factory ones are wrapped around the tops of the bunks and bolted in place on all 4 corners. Seems to work pretty well.
Woodland Mills HM130, Stihl ms310 and ms660, Granberg chainsaw mill, 3 ton Kobelco excavator, 1 ton Chinese front-end loader.
New to sawmilling but have been chainsawing for a few years.

Tropical Sawyer

Here's a picture of mine.
Woodland Mills HM130, Stihl ms310 and ms660, Granberg chainsaw mill, 3 ton Kobelco excavator, 1 ton Chinese front-end loader.
New to sawmilling but have been chainsawing for a few years.

lxskllr

Would aluminum work? That would shave some $ over stainless.

D6c

Don't know what size your rails are but I bought stainless covers from woodmizer for my mill.  (2" rails). Weren't too expensive.

Crusarius

Aluminum is to soft and won't last. Will deform first time you drop a log on it.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Tropical Sawyer on June 25, 2019, 06:58:29 PM

Here's a picture of mine.
. Thanks for the pic. I had ordered 24ga sheet but after seeing you post I canceled and will look for 14 ga. Which should match yours! Thanks again.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Crusarius

16 gauge should be fine that is 0.060"

Dana Stanley

I ordered a pc of 16Ga. 304 stainless 24x24 for $40.00 from ebay. Now I need to find someone to cut and bend it. I don't think my finger brake/shear will handle it.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Crusarius

it is not rated to handle it but it might. may need to do some reinforcing to make it work. as for cutting sheet metal best way I have found is plasma. next best would be metal cutting circular saw. Jigsaw is last option.

Bandsaw or porta band will work great as long as you have a deep enough throat.

YellowHammer

It will cut easy on a manual, foot operated shear, and decent brake.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

frazman

The stainless steel covers are sold as an extra from Woodland Mills at 2 per set. 

I will have some made from a metal shop once I purchase the HM 126 this fall...

Dana Stanley

Quote from: frazman on July 02, 2019, 07:15:05 AM
The stainless steel covers are sold as an extra from Woodland Mills at 2 per set.

I will have some made from a metal shop once I purchase the HM 126 this fall...
I e-mailed them, they want $75.00 for two, I need 5. Making them makes sense for me, as I have the time and ability to do it myself. I convince myself that doing this stuff on a low budget is a fun challenge! I isn't an unreasonable price, but again this is a hobby for now, so if I can do it for less I need to.  
Woodland Mills HM-126

Chuck White

Quite a while back, someone had a set of them from a Wood-Mizer mill for sale (in the For Sale section) here on the Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!