iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stainless buck covers

Started by Dana Stanley, June 24, 2019, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

So the stainless came in today, and I tried to cut it with my 30 year old HF brake/shear. Well the cast iron table for the shear cracked! I ordered a metal saw from Eastwood! Ill get on it when that comes in.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

frazman

Yes, s/s can be a tuff metal to work with. Good luck with your project. Hope it all turns out well...

RAYAR

Quote from: Dana Stanley on July 10, 2019, 08:28:52 PM
So the stainless came in today, and I tried to cut it with my 30 year old HF brake/shear. Well the cast iron table for the shear cracked!
Stainless is a harder metal to shear and it's also a harder metal to bend on a brake press, likely the nickel content.  You have to make different allowances for it compared to regular sheet metal, depending on the type of bends. It tends to bend with a bit larger radius, not as tight as regular sheet metal.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Crusarius

when you drill it, DRILL IT SLOW! if it turns red when you are drilling go full throttle and get it done as fast as you can. Once it cools it is quite a bit more challenging to drill. Make sure you have plenty of sharp drill bits on hand. Stainless is a bear to work with in all aspects.

And make sure you wear gloves. It is not very forgiving if you slip.

VB-Milling

I'm curious as to whether the DIY covers ever happened.  I see @Dana Stanley hasn't logged on in a while though.
HM126

maple flats

Use Cobalt drill bits, not cobalt coated. They will work best. I've drilled plenty of SS in the past, until I had Cobalt bits I was lucky to get 1, sometimes 2 holes before the bit needed sharpening and if it had gotten hot, it was junk. 14 ga SS will be a challenge, use good cutting oil and keep it flowing.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!