iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt or Suspenders

Started by Patrick NC, May 17, 2020, 08:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Sweat pants! Don't knock it till you try it. Personally I absolutely can't stand wearing jeans or any kind of work pants. When it gets cold I just put on long John's underneath. If I had to choose I would go suspenders. And on a suit suspenders with the buttons sewn in on the inside. 

trapper

On the subject of pants falling down I have that problem also and can not wear 2 piece long underwear.  I wear the ones that look like bib overalls from sportsman guide. Mostly wear a merino wool sweater under them.  Got a bunch at target at spring clearance over the years.  When I get something  I realy like I try to get a lifetime supply.  Had too many things I liked and then they stoped making or selling them. 

Guide Gear Men's Heavyweight Fleece Base Layer Union Suit
Item # WX2-701990

4.2out of 5 star rating(66reviews)
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

I know I am an odd duck, because I am always trying to find something that is just outside of what the manufacturer makes. One example- I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 gram Thinsulate, composite toe Gore-tex work boots. I've had them for I think 7 years now and would love to update them, but they're no longer made. I can't find any boot made now that has the same specs, the Rocky Ranger is the only one that comes close (but only 600 gram Thinsulate).So Trapper, I hear you on picking up a lifetime supply when you get something you like!

When my wife and I first got married, she was really (too) thin. When one of my uncles first met her, he said she had been taking that diet pill No Asitol😂 She would say that after 5 kids and nearly 25 years, she has "grown" out of that problem😊

I would never knock sweatpants, and they are for sure comfy, WB. But I'd still need to wear a belt for all of my "kit"n and that would look silly😁

Magic, if that is from Native blood it's not goneass, it never showed up in the first place😁 
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

I haven't had work pants on since I retired from my town job over five years ago. For me it bibs around the farm. Wife makes me put jeans on to go to town. Belt only. If she's not around I go to town with my bibs on. I need to get some of those union suit under wear. I dislike long under wear that won't stay up. I have pretty good luck with Duluth trading long under wear. 

Magicman

Another Cherokee native trait is a sorta sunken upper chest which my Mom had and Sister has.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Never long underwear here. I prefer to double layer with Frogg Togg rain pants or non-insulated coveralls.Keeps my everyday pants clean and I can leave the mess in the mudroom.
I did buy a pair of insulated bibs to wear over my everyday pants but they are so heavy I don't think think I'm man enough to wear them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

That's interesting, Magic. I don't know if the trait comes from the native heritage, but I, my Dad, and some cousins have what we call a "pigeon chest". My ribs are kind of concave shaped and come to a point in my sternum, which sticks out a bit. When I was a skinny guy it was very noticeable, it has a little more meat hiding it these days😊

I wear insulated bibs a lot in the MN winter, it's the only way you'll stay warm. I can't wear the coverall type though. I have too long of a torso, and they make me feel hunched up all day.
Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

I've tried a couple different things in the past couple of years since I started this thread.  My weight fluctuates about 10 or 15 pounds winter to summer so I've found that Roundhouse Bib overalls work best in winter for me. Summer time it's lightweight Wrangler ripstop cargo pants with clip on suspenders. My wife sews some extra material to the inside waistband where the clips go and that seems to help them hold pretty good.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

petefrom bearswamp

Always clip on here.
Sure they come loose once in a while, but not real often.
My complaint is finding a pair that dont lose their elasticity over time.
Wife bought me a pair of WM suspenders but they must have been made for someone about half again as tall as shaq.
The adjuster clips are halfway down my back.
I used to make fun of my hunting pal who wore both belt and suspenders, but now know why.
Suspenders to hold the pants up, the belt for knife, cartridge holder leatherman tool and anything else you want on it.
I do have a pair of Craftsman with solid straps, but they are harder to put over my shoulders, a concern as my flexibility has diminished greatly since hitting 70-10.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

Pete try putting the suspenders over your shoulders before you button your pants and before you tighten your belt.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

My Trucker style HoldUp suspenders came today.  I let my belt off two holes and I will see how this works.  LINK

I chose the trucker style because there are only two clips, one on each side.  No reaching around, reaching back, nor over my shoulders.  I only have to release the two side clips to "drop my drawers".   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Seems like they would also help solve the issue of the clips scratching the seats of vehicles, or sawmills with the clips on the sides and not the back. 

Brad_bb

Since they have spikes in the clips, I would think you'd need to make sure the waistline of the pants are strong enough to prevent it wearing through or tearing.  I had to reinforce my BDU pants for bachelor buttons.  An extra 2 layers of ripstop fabric with tight zigzag sewing around the perimeter and and X across the reinforcement.  I'd make the hole for the button shank right below the center of the X.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dakota

Just clip them to the top of your side belt loops.  That's plenty strong.
Dave Rinker

Magicman

Spike or no spike, these clips are not coming loose.  :o

There will never be enough movement for the spike to damage anything.

GRANITEstateMP

Quick review on the barbender recommended Holdup suspenders.  I've been wearing the for just over a week so far, and ZERO unclasps!  Very impressed.  I was in and out of the utility truck yesterday cleaning and cutting blow downs near the road from last weeks storm.  Even with chaps pulling at my pants the suspenders stayed put!  I am counting this as a win
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Magicman

Yup, I am just over two weeks with mine with zero issues.  I was able to loosen my belt two holes and am letting the suspenders do their job. 

Still the amazing and totally unexpected bonus has been relieving my hip pain:  Hip Pain LINK

Walnut Beast

RPF2509

Suspenders for me when working.  Hold up sweat soaked pants nicely, needles , leaves and twigs pass through and don't collect at the belt line.  Buttons only as the clips tear up the pants.  I ripped the crotch on several pairs of sagging pants before I switched to suspenders. A belt buckle can get uncomfortable when sitting for awhile.  Don't know how those cowboys can stand the dinner plate sized ones.  I will wear a belt around town or for casual work.

RPF2509

I tried those Duluth side suspenders and they kind of worked except that one of the clips broke.  My repair is less than sucessful but I still wear them to keep my rainpants up.  I've also tried batchlor buttons and they never seem to work as well as factory installed.  I've had several pop loose at the wrong time.  Have worn Baileys 'Wild Ass' pants for years now.  Factory buttons and double front if needed.  Never have had a failure. A thin belt can fit below the buttons when suspenders are not needed.

RPF2509

Overalls have their place but I find they get too hot.

trapper

batchlor buttons dont come apart if you use a drop of gorilla glue in the socket

RPF2509

Good tip on the Gorilla glue.  I might have to find my b-button stash and try it out on my pair of Carhartts with no buttons

Dan_Shade

I ordered a set of trucker suspenders from the holdup company. Takes a bit of getting used to, but the clips are awesome. 

So far so good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

RetiredTech

MM,
  Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a pair to try out. All of my regular suspenders suffer from the same problem. When I get busy they pop off.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Thank You Sponsors!