The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.  (Read 44963 times)

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
Re: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.
« Reply #1160 on: April 16, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
In my crystal ...I see your business soon owning a small front wheel assist tractor (complete with pallet forks, log grapple, and  a forestry winch) a heavier trailer, and a 1 ton pickup.   :) Your mushroom and TSI projects are rapidly blooming...
You may need some depreciation. Just good to see it!

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1161 on: April 16, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »
The rash on my arms turned out to be poison ivy.  Threw away my suspenders, they seemed to be giving it back after getting rid of it.  Weird stuff. Wife even washed the things, wasted effort.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1162 on: April 19, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
In my crystal ...I see your business soon owning a small front wheel assist tractor (complete with pallet forks, log grapple, and  a forestry winch) a heavier trailer, and a 1 ton pickup.   :) Your mushroom and TSI projects are rapidly blooming...
You may need some depreciation. Just good to see it!
You know Nebraska, I fully know you comment and observation were meant in the most positive and encouraging way, but it cost me some sleep over the past few nights since you made it because that thought had been slowly creeping into my head and you went and said it out loud. ;D
 As I narrow down what I 'want to do' I am also being brought to the realization of what I 'need' to do to make that happen. The prospect is a little unnerving for me. I can't do the bull work all day long anymore. I am not feeble, but neither I am 30 years old. In order to crank out the work and I would to load in the hours, non-stop and I realize I just can't do that. Yes, surely if I had a machine I could move logs and wood around. but I am not a production mill guy, I just mill a little lumber, get the racks as full as I want, then move on to other stuff. So getting a machine just for that isn't justified, it would sit a lot of the time after the honeymoon was over.
 Likewise I enjoy doing the TSI/Consulting work for smaller landowners and a machine would be handy for that too, but again, I don't do a lot and it would sit too much, I would also need a way to transport it, plus attachments.
 After 3 years of obsessive reading of all the folks here who are trying to decide on the best machine for their needs, and thinking of my own needs and reading the vast experience and good advice offered on countless threads, I have figured out what would be best for my needs. It has to be a ToolCat. The cheapest I see the 5600 is for 30k and there is no way I have that kind of change laying around. Most of them are in the 50k range. Plus the 6-8,000# trailer, then you need a rig to pull it all, so a 3500 is another 30k used.
 The last thing I wanted was a retirement business that was a money suck and then I wind up working all kinds of hours killing myself 7 days a week to get the cash to either build up the account or pay off the loan. That just sucks all the joy out of it and I resolve to be happy doing manual labor and plugging along at whatever pace I can manage. That is, until I go out and hand carry a dozen 2x10x10' over to the drying rack after all the manual milling, then I sit and catch my breath and search CL for machines again. If I had a machine and used it to do work for clients I would have to charge the machine rate to make the payments (or pay for the machine, either way) and then it becomes all about the money. I worry about money for food and taxes, I don't want to worry about money for the business. 
 So yeah, I am at a mental crossroads here and I have been sitting here watching the traffic for a couple of months now. I still don't know what to do. I am waiting for that particular machine to come around that 'won't run' and I can fix easy, or reasonably so. That's how I got the Mule for 500 bucks, (complete engine assembly required). I could sell it for 6 grand now, and I would if I could find a machine. Its just a little frustrating for me. I should chill out, let it ride and see what kind of money collects in the accounts as I keep picking up paying work. Remember, I am not at the stage of my life where I am trying to build a business to make big bucks, be a success, and put my kids through college (or better yet, trade school). I am just trying to get by. But boy, some hydraulics would help me live and work a little longer.
------
 ANyway, while I wait for the academics to answer questions and try to figure out the weather to schedule work, I have been working on that pine bench a little each morning putting finishes on it, re-sanding an adding coats, fixing drips, etc. The trying to do some outside work, but it's been cool and snotty the last coupe of days. One of my bottlenecks is lumber storage. I built 2 decent racks last year, the first one is showing weaknesses in my design ;D and the second one is doing well with the more formal size lumber on it, one side anyway. That first rack got all the stuff I had previously milled dumped on one side the decent newer (last summer) lumber on the other side. That old stuff is pretty poor, long, live edges, with no purpose in mind and is an unruly mess. SO over the weekend I started labeling the wood so I don't loose track of when it was milled or what it is. I like those new tags, lets me mix and match and stack by size rather than when it was milled or the species.

I keep moving stuff around as I expand or learn stuff and it is getting confusing, Now it doesn't matter where the wood goes, I know what it is and when it was milled.
Over the weekend I moved a bunch of the short stuff to that new short rack, bench slabs and Cherry shorts. Today, after the morning shop work I started picking apart the mess on my first rack and find I have sagging damage I need to shore up when I get it mostly empty. I re-sawed and labeled a lot of live edge junk. I had no idea what I wanted or what I was doing when I milled those, but trimmed down they became usable boards. That stuff is 2-3 years dry now. It stacks better too. I picked through a lot and some went into the firewood and I trimmed a lot. If I cant make it into a usable board, it is firewood, otherwise I trim off the split ends, edge it, label it, and stack it by thickness. It is a slow process and I had to stop and cover the mill twice today as rain came in, then went away, then came back. I finally quit at 5 with a tired back and a dead battery on the mill chainsaw.
 Tomorrow I am off to a TSi job that should run for a 'while'  :D at least that's the plan. Just getting started. We'll see how my back holds out. The work I did last week had me sucking wind at the end of the day but my back was fine...pretty much. The landowner working with me was anxious to take a shower and sit for a while. :D Tomorrow's work is bigger and heavier though.
 Goota go out to the shop tonight and get my gear together and hit the saw chain with a file.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1163 on: April 19, 2021, 10:33:50 PM »
Tom,

Good looking lumber stack. You know if it is for sale the customer is always going to want that one on the bottom. They always do. :D

I feel your pain and envy when you see others with these great labor and time saving devices that are not in your budget or can't be justified for the expected work load. I got into sawing to fill some time, make some friends and to keep me active. I love it and would love to have more equipment so I could do more but economics, time and space often dictate otherwise. Stay safe, stay healthy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1164 on: April 21, 2021, 08:21:02 AM »
Well not a bad day at all yesterday, made the drive to a clients and spent the whole day in the woods getting started on some tree cleanup and salvage work for a few saw logs, some firewood, and general dead ash clearing. Lots of dead stuff on the ground from past years so I began mostly on getting that bucked up into movable sizes, brushing out any tops, getting hangers on the ground (I hate hangers, they are distracting and ugly and just bother me). All in all it went well and except for grazing the side of my chain on an unseen rock, it was uneventful. I had added a set of non-stretch suspenders to my felling belt the nigh before and that worked like a charm, so much more comfortable and I didn't spend my time pulling at it. Very easy to spend the day in it. Sitting is still not easy with a pouch full of wedges hanging over my butt crack, but I don't sit much anyway. ;D
 The wind was a real problem, it was whipping in gusts pretty good and there were a bunch of stems I would have taken but for the wind, too unpredictable. So I saved those for another day when we do some of the bigger dead ash. I won't cut those without a spotter anyway. I marked some live stuff for the client to pass judgement on and he came out in the afternoon with his tractor and made some headway getting stuff moved around. We are working toward making a small landing to separate the various end uses for the wood and give us some working room. This is more of a salvage section to get the usable ash out and milled before it is too far gone. There are a few big trees in there and some nice straight stuff, plus a bunch of firewood. We had no plans to take any pine, but there are a couple that should go (unhealthy or poor growth pattern). They might produce a few saw logs, but mostly they are junk and taking up good space.
 I made a list during the course of the day for things I should bring or change next time to make it easier. Working remote is a little newish for me so I am trying to tune things up a bit. Little stuff like a garbage bag for the stuff I find in the woods, a fire extinguisher, and some other odds and ends to make the dat easier. It's a short list.
 I got home around 4pm and found an email for that mushroom zoom meeting I have been trying to set up. That's at noon today. We do our monthly food shopping this morning so I have to get back in time for the call. We will see where this goes and hopefully I can get some questions answered today. They are calling for rain today, maybe some snow overnight.
 Time to get at it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1165 on: April 22, 2021, 08:23:23 AM »
You know I made those comments  in support of you and your recent  successes.  I wouldn't want  to borrow money to build this. I see older Ford and Kubota front wheel assist  show up out here for   really  reasonable money..I think they are usually 16 to 25 hp diesels  with not much for hours on them  mostly  they moved snow and maybe ran a tiller and  a mower. They will move a fair log with an arch. With a loader they could handle loading multiple mushroom sized logs  with a grapple attachment.  They make handling logs at the mill and moving sawn lumber much easier  (magic hook!) and may save your back. So much so if I had to get rid of my tractors my mill would go as well.  They can run your place with a pto generator... do many things...I just watch what you are  doing  and wish you had one and a trailer heavy enough to move it.   I'm not sure of weights and  widths your son's dump trailer might work fine.  I know the forum is good at spending other people's money so please don't take any offense at this. I don't want you to take an uncomfortable financial step.....but if the rat hole money  grows...I think your mushroom bolt project could justify it.  I better go be productive hope you have much to show for your day.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1166 on: April 22, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
You know I made those comments  in support of you and your recent  successes.  I wouldn't want  to borrow money to build this. I see older Ford and Kubota front wheel assist  show up out here for   really  reasonable money..
As I said in the first sentence of that replay I fully understand you meant those comments in a positive way and they were taken as such, absolutely! I also appreciate you making them. At the same time, you provided 'an outside observation' that confirmed the thoughts working into my head, that I am grossly under mechanized and it is a severe handicap.
 Nothing seems to be available for reasonable money around here. The same changes we have seen in folks spending money to finally upgrade homes and yards and do projects has driven the used equipment market way up also. But I always keep my eyes open as I drive around, do research and ask questions so I understand a little more about various machine models and the strengths and weaknesses. Knowledge is power. I spent time yesterday when it finally dawned on me that I could easily carry payments on a Kubota given their financing plan, configuring a machine on their website. I figure if I can keep the full weight under 6,000# I can trailer it with what I have (and a bigger trailer, yet to be found). But when I got it to what I wanted the cost was getting a little steeper than what I was comfortable with, so I just closed out the window and walked away in frustration again. I might stop in and visit a dealer to work it through with someone who knows the ins and outs of the pricing, financing, and configuration options. If I pull the trigger, there are one or two pricey attachments I would like to add that would greatly increase my capabilities but not be used very often, such as the backhoe. Its like a full time job to spec a machine and make decisions. So I keep looking for that 'right one' to cross my path. So I drive the back roads looking for 'for sale' signs on equipment thinking I might get the best deal that way, price wise. It will happen or it won't but I will keep plugging along with an open mind and open eyes.
------------------------
Yesterday wasn't really productive. We did the monthly food shopping, got home, did lunch, and I made my zoom call just in time. Nothing conclusive on the logs but we got a better understanding of where each of us stood in the whole thing. We are thinking a moderate order this year might be the best we can do because of the logistics of lining up enough folks in the city to take 1,000 logs. (They never really had an order for that, but it was a goal for them to get a lot of growers started down there. This only became clear to me yesterday.) They will continue to pound the pavement trying to line up buyers for a group buy down there and let me know what they can come up with. I finally explained to them that a tractor trailer cost the same whether it has 600 logs on it or 1,500 logs on it, they also understood that I rental truck is limited by the weight it can carry, so even with a 20' box truck they can only haul less than 300 logs because of weight. The truck will look empty with just 300 logs in it but be over 10,000# of payload. They are now understanding my attention to the details because I don't think they realized a lot of these little things. They did ask if I would accept 'pick up's' in my yard which for me is certainly the easiest and they said they would be passing my number around to those who could collect their own logs. I stressed that they need to spread the word that putting in orders is the only way for folks to get the logs they want, everybody think we (suppliers) just 'have' these logs waiting and they forget that just like milk, they expire in a few months and become firewood. EVERY supplier I know only cuts to order, this needs to be made really clear to the new buyers. Yes, I cut extras when I cut, and I have NONE left over because I throw in a few on each order just for the heck of it and if I have some questionable ones left, I give them to some other grower that wants them before they get too old. So this is the beginning of a relationship that will take a while to mature, but I am sure it will at some point. I will focus on the solid smaller group order I have for 2 counties away and get them taken care of with good product. I got an email from one of those folks yesterday wanting to send me a check in payment for her logs and I just replied I can get paid on delivery and I am taking folks at their word. She sent me back a note telling me how unique I was and I replied I was trying to start a new trend where people's words have some weight. :)
 After the call and given the snotty rainy cold weather I went out to the shop and did tool maintenance, sharpening my chain and dumping out my chainsaw bag to clean it and take inventory. I found that I did in fact have a spare chain for my 20" bar (after I just ordered one the day before) and I had bought a nice locking top plastic box I found in the dollar store to organize my chains by bar size and I tagged what each was and stored them in the proper boxes. MUCH easier to find things now. I fired up that 372 and the bar oil is really leaking badly now. and it needs more tuning again. Saving that for another day. I will have to find that leak at some point because it gets oil everywhere and it requires a diaper during storage. ;D I had the saw hung straight vertical all winter and the bar cover had a load of oil in it. Ever try to clean out a 30" bar cover? :D :D
 Its another snotty rainy day here with some bouts of sun as a evil teaser. 32 when I got up, 35 now and the snow flurries just stopped for a while. The radar show the moisture passing jus to our North and I suspect Barge is getting more snow this morning and it is less 'friendly' up there today. Not sure what I will fill the day with, but I have plenty to do and there is a live webinar at noon on Invasive Species Threats and Solutions for Healthy Urban Forests  so I think I want to catch that because it could be of use and it offers some CEU's toward my logger re-certification which should be coming due soon (I should check on that). If the precip holds off I should get some more done on the drying racks so I can get back to milling, but it is slow daunting grunt work. 
 I pulled an all-nighter last night, which at my age means that I slept through the whole night without having to get up. ;D I also slept and entire 8 hours which is even more remarkable. Each of those things only happens about once a month and rarely together. I was pretty tired and a little depressed when I went to bed a little earlier than usual last night. Maybe I just needed the sleep.
 So lets see what today brings, shall we?

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1167 on: April 22, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
So the plot thickens. [suspenseful music plays] 
 Yesterday the fella I was talking to from Cornell university (let's call him 'Steve') told me he would put my name out on his contact list for folks to hit me up directly if they want logs and can pick them up. I found out today Steve has over 1,000 names on his contact list. I know this because I got a email, then a phone call from a fella who is on that list and knows Steve well. This fella is also a Steve, but he is a full time grower and has been for over 10 years. He says he is the largest grower of Shiitakes in CT and cannot keep up with demand. We talked for a while figuring each other out but the bottom line is he knows exactly what he needs he is fine with either winter or summer cut, he harvests a LOT of logs himself because he only uses white oak. He is currently cutting about 5,000 logs about 3 hours from his farm. He said he will take any amounts of white Oak I can get in quantities between 100 and 5,000 logs at a clip. He will pick them up or arrange shipping. He is 1-1.5 hours from me. He as much as gave me a blanket order. My price seems fine to him. He has a large ongoing operation and he has to keep getting new logs in to fill the pipeline and increase production. He cannot meet the demand as it is. 
 This changes the entire paradigm for me because I can now cut anything I find (that is white oak in season) knowing I have a buyer for it, provided I hit 100 logs minimum. 100 logs is a very full pickup load, about 3,500#.
 So now I have to rethink a little and change how I shop for sources. This also has an impact of how I am thinking about some sort of machine. This kind of work could help pay for that. More to think about.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1168 on: April 22, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »
It's good that you are a young man  :D.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1169 on: April 22, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »
Check out LS tractors, pretty inexpensive  from what I see.  I have a 2003 version that owes me nothing....Tym as well... I have a friend running one getting along fine. Kioti has a dealer not that far from me and the prices look good but no experience with them.  I have experience  with all the other major brands at one time or another so look at all of them and find the dealer that will get you a loaner if your machine goes down under  warranty. The green ones seem pretty high priced... I have 1/2 of a backhoe attachment.  A friend found it for sale  and we  share it. I could own 1/4 of it in the same arrangement and it wouldn't  be an issue. It's great for fixing a water  line or digging footings but I don't need it that much. It sure beats renting or hiring someone else though.  A backhoe attachment  with a thumb would  be pretty slick holding up logs to cut firewood..  Sounds to me opportunity is fixing to toss your irons in the fire. I think I will just call you semi retired. ;)  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1170 on: April 22, 2021, 11:33:37 PM »
Tom,

Back in the old home country of your ancestors not too far removed I saw lots of log landings with small diameter, mostly birch, trees pulled up for processing. They would hook what looked like about a 16" diameter, unguarded "buzz" type cut-off saw to the PTO of their tractor and they had sets of rollers. They would roll the log up the roller to a stop of some sort then pull the running blade across as a cut off saw. Since they use a lot of 1' long firewood in Norway that was the norm. The finished firewood was loaded into pallet containers and inside a net and was sold basically by the cubic meter load. I just saw the equipment and logs at the landings and never watched them in operation so I'm assuming based on observations on some of this. Would something like that work for your planned operations?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1171 on: April 23, 2021, 08:25:42 AM »
I bought my Kubota in 2012 and took advantage of their 0% 60-month financing which also applied to a few implements purchased through them as well.  

I went on Kubota’s website yesterday after chatting with Tom and I was to say the prices for the same level of L-series tractor has almost doubled.  I was shocked.  The only regret I have is not going one size up to get a 700-series loader instead of a 500-series loader.  Also Tom, quick attach on the loader is well worth the extras if you are going to swap between a bucket, grapple, and palette forks often.  I’d stick with the industrial tires for working in the woods over the AG ones and 4WD is a “must” around here.

I run all three and a 3rd function remote on the front for the grapple easily makes that the most useful attachment in the woods.  Around the mill however, the pallet forks are the best IMHO and my preferred method for loading logs is to hang it from the forks with a pair of 6’ tow straps as you have the most control and lightest touch.  

The forks are also great for offloading from the mill and then just driving over to the stacking/drying area makes for very little extra handling.  I also built a bunch of 10’ palettes for stacking/drying lumber and keep them at loader capacity so I can move the whole palette around.  

I think for your TSI work, a chipper would easily pay for itself as smaller land owners often don’t have the space or aesthetic inclination to dump tops in the woods.  I run the Woodmaxx WM-8H and have been very pleased and think it is a great value for a hydraulic feed chipper.  

Its a big commitment though and I understand why you are struggling with it.  You are less than a year into this new business and still don’t know how it all is going to shake out.  The world is about to change again too I suspect as things start getting back to normal.

Another un-desirable consideration would be additional liability insurance to use the machine on other people’s property.  Kubota has their own insurance to cover their equipment while it is being financed that runs about $500 per year if I recall correctly but that obviously doesn’t cover someones truck or barn when you back into it, lol (I’ve done both).

Edit: I’ve heard very good things about Kioti machines as well as New Holland and think there is probably a bit more value with those brands as well.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1172 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »
Thanks fellas for all the replies. Brandon has been most helpful in sharing what he learned through his purchase and I have spent a bunch of time trying to configure an orange machine, but the monthly payments for what I would need are just too high. I am looking for something in the range where I can bank the money during the flush months and coast along on that cushion through the winter months. I don't want financing that is going to force me out to work in lousy weather or for 14 hour days. But I am keeping an open mind.
 Howard, stationary equipment won't work for me, but it's a good idea. As I am a guest in every sense of the word on these landowner sites I have to remain 'Mr. Low Impact' and keep a low profile. Bringing logs home rather than cutting on site is slightly less productive because I can fit more in a trailer cut size, than in log length. Also I would have to skid those logs out and that can damage them, so it's a tradeoff. I keep an open mind on that too.
 Nebraska, I just spent an hour and a half looking at the LS machines. Their website is painfully short on specs and details, so after looking at various dealer sites I collected enough to finally figure out they are 4WD (but I don't know what they mean by 'mechanical assist'). 4WD is a must around here. Also I am not sure if they have a quick attach system. They have very few attachments. Ideally my beginning setup would include a bucket and forks with a log grapple soon after. There is a dealer about an hour and change from me. 
 I guess the next step is to start visiting some dealers to get my eyes on some of this stuff and ask questions. It's not something I am going to pull the trigger on very soon because I have to be sure. As Brandon noted, these things are still shaking out for me. 
 Its always something, right?

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1173 on: April 23, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
Spending other peoples money is always a pleasure.

Everything attachments is a fun website to build wish lists and they manufacture everything in the US.  Remember a small tractor needs small/light attachments as that weight eats into your loader capacity.  This is the best grapple for these sized machines IMHO.  

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Compact-Tractor-Wicked-Root-Grapple-50-Single-lid-p/eta-cut-sl-rg-50.htm

Also, this is the 3rd function remote I chose/have, the dealer bought and installed it at my request...

https://www.wrlonginc.com/vk12-vk20

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1174 on: April 23, 2021, 10:13:35 AM »
It's not something I am going to pull the trigger on very soon because I have to be sure.
The problem with visiting the dealers is there is a good chance there is a trade-in that they want to move and the price might be too tempting...;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1175 on: April 23, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »
John, normally I would have my shields up against something like that as I am well aware of the threat. ;D However, in this case, if it is the right machine, a trade-in, and the financing is available, that might actually be a better fit at a lower price. The key is to not rush into anything without thinking it through. :D
 Brandon I like that grapple/root rake. There are a lot of options and I think this is gonna take a while.

10 minutes ago I just picked up another log order. It is small but it is local and I like those. Easy peasey. For the local YMCA community farm project. I may have stumbled into something here. ;D The network appears to be growing as word travels.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1176 on: April 23, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »
This is getting a little crazy. I just got another order up to 400 logs. I have enough orders now that if I had 6,000 logs in my yard right now, they are all sold. (provided 5,000 are White Oak. ;D) Realistically I need to cut about 500 logs to make folks minimally happy. But if I could manage it those same folks would take that big number. Almost all of these are working into 'relationships' where folks would like a call as I find sources so they can place orders. Sort of like a standing order deal and my supply can't feed the demand.   I am now connecting with commercial growers who know the game, know what they want, and are willing to wait for the right stuff.
I think I created a monster.

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1177 on: April 23, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
You better hope it doesnt get out that you dont like mushrooms! 🤣😉🤣 

Online Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #1178 on: April 23, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
. . . This is getting a little crazy. I just got  a standing order deal and my supply can't feed . . I think I created a monster.
Or, you had a great idea and created a 'whopper-tunity' ?
Could you team up with someone you know you can work with - or has the drive to get after this and also someone that has the equipment and space to handle the volume?
Could you set this up as a business where you're more the manager and owner, and the others are happy to get paid to do the doing? 
That puts you in the management chair, you decide how much retirement you can tolerate. 😆
The SAS in Britain have a motto: "Who Dares, Wins".
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1179 on: April 23, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »
Andries, this is a complicated dance. I have the landowners to keep happy just as much or more than the buyers. Then there is the logger working the job, he has crews and equipment to keep busy making the payments, productivity, as you know, comes first. So there are a bunch of folks in this supply chain you have to treat with respect and keep happy and also work around their needs.
 This is why I identified this as a possible opportunity. The loggers cannot afford the amount of time and handling it takes to handle these logs, let alone get them to buyers. It is chump change for them. Likewise few landowners have the contacts to make sales, nor are they interested in spending the time. 
 On the buyers side they have little idea where to go to cultivate relationships to get logs. On the internet they read "Oh, you can just find a landowner and many are happy to have you come and cut their thinning trees" then they find out that no landowner in his right mind is going to do that. Most mushroom growers don't even own a chainsaw, let alone have the required skills. The loggers I work with know me, and know I have the skills and take the care to respect where I am working and that there is a landowner involved. I am trading on my reputation which is mine to keep until I blow it. ;D
 Yeah, if I found a landowner open to a bigger possibility I could maybe partner, but that will take time and I have to build trust and earn my way. As that trust builds, I am hoping I can do more, but for me good working relationships are more valuable than cash and I am wanting to invest in that part of the business first. 
 Taking on help, forming partnerships are down the road a ways. I am not looking to make a killing, just fill a niche and make some people happy while I pick up some cash to pay taxes and buy food.
 Of course the opportunity for decent money in a short timeframe is tempting, but I have to check myself and go easy while I keep in mind this is not all about money, its about relationships where everyone wins. I just left the corporate world where greed rules everything and I sure want to stay as far away from that as possible.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trouble staying on the forum

Started by LeeB on Technical Support Topics

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 07:34:09 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Not dead, just busy, very busy engineering and reengineering and rereengineering

Started by arnold113 on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 08:18:59 AM
by vfauto
laugh
Busy Busy Busy (Photos)

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2002, 08:50:50 AM
by Bibbyman
xx
Staying Fixed