Sponsors:

goose neck into logging trailer

Started by doc henderson, June 27, 2020, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

the same culvert pipe is 540 bucks at a farm store each.  good deal at 200 bucks, and not buried for a thousand years.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JuanChair

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 27, 2020, 05:47:20 PM
I've hauled many million pounds of logs and lumber in my PJ Gooseneck setup, for several years, maybe 400 miles a week on a DOT inspected truck and trailer.  This is a very safe and extremely strong setup, with 4 inch heavy wall tubing for bunks, and removable side supports for hauling packs of lumber.  The bunks slip on heavy stubs.  The whole thing sits in the stakes pockets and can removed if desired.  When hauling lumber, just slip the bunks off the studs and leave the main assembly on the trailer to allow forklifts to get their forks under the pallet.  

I have many pictures with measurements in my galley, and several people have reproduced this design with success.  

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5893

The side supports slip over stubs.  

The studs are through welded and inset Inyo the 4x4, it is not just fillet welded to the top.  In order for the stud to come off, it would literally have to rip itself through the steel square tubing.  

Great Idea and thank you for sharing it with us.   I'm  researching all the equipment and "things" I will need to get started and this helps a lot. 

Biocmp

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 27, 2020, 05:47:20 PM
I've hauled many million pounds of logs and lumber in my PJ Gooseneck setup, for several years, maybe 400 miles a week on a DOT inspected truck and trailer.  This is a very safe and extremely strong setup, with 4 inch heavy wall tubing for bunks, and removable side supports for hauling packs of lumber.  The bunks slip on heavy stubs.  The whole thing sits in the stakes pockets and can removed if desired.  When hauling lumber, just slip the bunks off the studs and leave the main assembly on the trailer to allow forklifts to get their forks under the pallet.  

I have many pictures with measurements in my galley, and several people have reproduced this design with success.  

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5893

The side supports slip over stubs.  

The studs are through welded and inset Inyo the 4x4, it is not just fillet welded to the top.  In order for the stud to come off, it would literally have to rip itself through the steel square tubing.  

How tall are your stubs? Side supports?  I ask because you mentioned when you have a really big log that is too heavy to lift over the supports, you remove them and roll it off.  I'm curious about how you roll over the rather sizable stubs?  They look like they stick up at least 6-8+ inches from the cross members

YellowHammer

It's easy.  If you have a log on the trailer heavier than your loader can deadlift, using the forks on the loader or tractor, push and slide the log against the far side of the trailer against the stubs.

Then ease the forks under the log, and have the tips extend slightly outboard of the trailer frame.  Gently pry the log over the stubs using the forks as a huge crowbar, and gently roll it over the stubs, and have it thump to the ground.  You can get huge leverage like this to pry off all even the biggest logs.  Also, use the heel of the loader forks to contain the trailer from trying to flip over, if the log weighs more than the trailer.

Otherwise, if the logs are extremely huge, cut a piece of railroad crosstie into the shape of a wedge taller than the stubs, then simply roll the log off on the wedge ramp, over the tops of the stubs.

This is why I'm not a big fan of grapples for unloading logs, the grapples are heavy so reduce the lifting capacity of the loader, and they also attach the tractor or loader directly to the log, if they are used to actually grapple the log.  If the log is grappled off its center of gravity, it can roll the tractor.  Using forks, if the logs isn't being lifted in its CG, the forks can be rapidly dropped and moved to the side.  No big deal.      

Heres are some pics of some of the logs I've unloaded.

A load of big sycamore:

Here's a very heavy oak log I rolled off the trailer with wooden wedges.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Love seeing those pictures YH. How long is your trailer?

YellowHammer

It's a 25 foot PJ.

For reference, I'm 6'5" and you can see how big the oak logs is.  For unloading it, I placed a few cut off stumps under the trailer frame so that when all the weight was to one side of the trailer, the frame would rest on the stumps.  That way I wouldn't risk bending the frame or flipping the trailer. I then put the wedges on, and crowbarred it right off the trailer with the forks.  

Later, I found out that the guys at the local mega mill were taking bets if I would buy it, if I could get it home, if I could unload it, and if I would damage anything in the process.  Only one fellow bet all in on me, and when I showed back for another load of logs later in the day, he was a happy guy. :D

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Biocmp

Thanks Yellowhammer, that is incredibly helpful and makes perfect sense. I'm new to this world and it's easy to get caught up in trying to buy equipment big enough to lift these 1-off logs but there's a lot of value in ingenuity with leverage/mechanical advantage. 

So much to learn....

Appreciate you sharing all this information.

YellowHammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 11, 2021, 04:08:47 PM
found some great test "logs" with almost no taper to test out my bunks.  a little heart rot all the way through,  and it is a "black" something.  came from a grain elevator.  My buddy Dallas, did not want to see them go to waste.   no leaves or bark, but some wheat ran out of the center.  had linear rings, not concentric.

it was an hour drive.  the uprights pulled off nice.  we had 3 sold before we got home to friends we thought might need them.  hundred bucks a piece.  a day later Dallas's wife got 200$ each for 3 more on Craig's list, but they have not been picked up yet.  got some dirt on the paint, and they worked well.  will prob. sell as is, although @YellowHammer would prob. quarter saw, and @Southside would house chickens in them.   :D :D :D
@doc henderson 
Just checking in, I saw a post on another topic about your trailer, how is the steel bunk system working out?
YellowHammerisms:

doc henderson

It is perfect. got a nice load of walnut, after the maiden voyage getting 8  2 foot x 20 plastic culvert pipes.  We have been cool and rainy, and a new tree service has been dropping off wood, so I am underwater with logs I need to mill.  days of rain, followed by days of mud, and then more rain.  Work has been busy, and days off have been devoted to a merger with our company and another large corporation so my days off have been full, and if not, I have been too distracted to go get more wood.  the bunks are perfect, but I need more free time.  

@Cardiodoc and his daughter.  still thinking about the integrated load straps.  If you were reading about the cottonwood log rolling off the downhill side, that was years ago using the oak stays.  you can see the combo of new pipe, vs the old wood ones in the culvert pipe pic.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

price shop redneck trailer, US cargo control and mytee products for your 4" straps and winches.  
Praise The Lord

Resonator

When I drove flatbed I couldn't have too many straps. ;D
I hated throwing chains, but they do bite in good on odd shaped wood loads like the stack on the front of the trailer. They also have chain binders now you can tighten and loosen with a cordless drill, way faster than cranking them by hand.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

YellowHammer

That's great.  I'm glad to see it's working well. 
YellowHammerisms:

doc henderson

thanks again for all your help Rob, and input from others.  good info in the thread, and the highways and my uncle are safer as a result. :)

Ventryjr

Not a very good picture but I made a set out of 4" channel uprights and 2"x4"x1/4" cross members with come 1/4 gussets. I've hauled 8 loads with them so far and have had good results. Except when I bent one upright with my Ford 555.  Kept giving her gas and it wasn't going into the pile.  Then I saw the bend  ;)
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!