iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tractor in the barn

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, December 15, 2020, 05:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, under the porch actually.

I retired the beginning of November. As a retirement present to myself I bought a new to me, slightly used Kubota M7060. It was the biggest tractor I could get to fit on my trailer and I think it's just about right.

Mid November I drove down to Georga and bought a leased tractor that had spent the last 2 months on a peanut farm harvesting, you guessed it, peanuts. The dealer says they do this every year, lease out a bunch of new tractors to the farmers for the harvest and then sell for a good price with low hours and you get the Kubota warranty. Mine had 209 hours.

I'm always up for a road trip so I drove down, made the deal and figured out that I was only an hour from Danny's (WDH) I had to stop by and see him, show off my tractor and have some of his boiled peanuts. They are great and it's always a pleasure to see him.

Right now the only problem is I have to load the tires. I have a grapple on the front and have loaded some big logs, 22" x 10' long hickory. It picked them right up and went up on it's tippy toes. 

He's living up on my tree farm/soon to be retirement home in WV.
Here's some pix.

Danny took this one, It took 2 full days to get the stoopid grin off my face!
you can see there aint much room to spare front to back or side to side!

Semi out of the weather. I went with canopy instead of cab.

Why yes I do call him Mr Peanut.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

How many hp is that? And you have real tires!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

A-z farmer

Weekend sawyer 
Very nice kubota tractor it should serve you for many years to come.I bought one in 1989 and it is still going strong they are well built.

Tacotodd

THAT is a nice size all around tractor. Good deal on your latest toy, I'm sorry, I mean tool purchase. It should be very adaptable to whatever you might need! Good job!
Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

WDH

Eating boiled peanuts while hauling Mr. Peanut who used to haul peanuts ;D.  Something circular about all that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Very nice.  I hope you have some forks to go on there.  I rarely ever have my bucket on mine.  Fluid in my tires definitely helped with lifting heavy logs.  I also keep my box blade on the back all the time.  I lifted and carried a 10' 9" walnut that was 18 small end and 22 big end today.  No problem when driving sraight and level, but kinda sketchy when I turned on a slight slope.  I had to keep the log as low as possible to be safe.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Nice ride!  That trailer looks like it is grunting!

PoginyHill

Nice tractor. I bought the same one with about the same hours 2 years ago. Only complaint is hydraulics - rather slow. I have the 8 speed. The 12 speed comes with a higher flow hydraulics. Otherwise, couldn't be happier - perfect size for me, lots of power, and rather comfortable to operate.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Skip

Good lookin tractor . Loaded my tires with w/s fluid have an adaptor that goes on valve stem. Way SLOOW  >:( Been better off just calling tire co ::). Theres a table out there the gives how many gal. per tire size. :P

maple flats

If you load the rear tires, go with beet juice. Back in 1981 I had the rears on a brand new tractor loaded, about 14 years later I had to buy 2 new wheels. It seems there was a little leakage that was so slight it didn't show, but the wheels were eaten beyond repair. Beet juice doesn't bother steel, and I hear it's heavier per gallon.
However, will your trailer legally haul it with loaded tires? Maybe not, and tickets for over loaded get quite high fines.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

hedgerow

Congratulations on the new tractor. About six years ago I finally got the last fluid filled tire off the farm. Maybe not in your area but around here I have enough flats I get tired of messing with fluid and the old style fluid likes to eat up wheels. I would just spend money and buy wheel weights and be done with it. Having a blade or box blade on the back helps too. Have a friend with about that size of tractor in a JD and I made him a three point bracket that 10 front 100 pound weights hang on works good to hold the back end down.  Those newer mid sized tractors are a little light in the tail.  

btulloh

They don't use the Calcium Chloride solution any longer that used to eat the rims.  There's a standard solution for loading tires that's being used.  Any big tire place or tractor dealer will be using it.  Doesn't eat rims.

Really nice tractor, BTW.  Looks like the perfect size.  I hope I can find a deal like that when I get a new(ish) one next year.

(I didn't know about beet juice.  Not sure we have a lot of that around here.  Does it ferment? )
HM126

PoginyHill

Quote from: btulloh on December 16, 2020, 11:21:16 AM(I didn't know about beet juice. Not sure we have a lot of that around here. Does it ferment? )
Not sure where the term "beet juice" came from. I wouldn't take it literally - although it may have been a thing years ago. Rim Guard is a popular brand name. It smells and looks like the non-toxic RV anti-freeze. And it is more dense than CaCl.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

btulloh

:D :D  Well I thought "beet juice" literally meant the juice from beets.  Seems like that would have its own set of problems, but at least natural fermentation could create its own antifreeze.

I'm sure someone will clarify this whole beet juice thing here shortly.  
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

That's a very nice tractor!  My tractor is smaller/lighter weight.  My complaint always has been it's too light compared to older tractors I've owned.  Even with loaded rear tires it doesn't take much weight on the loader to lift the rear tires.  I built a 3 point hitch ballast barrel filled with rocks and concrete.  It weighs about  1,400 pounds.  

The ballast box is narrower and heavier than most box blades or scrape blades and far more maneuverable than a rotary cutter. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Skip

Mine are loaded AND weights better safe than sorry.  :) No flat ground here.

Bruno of NH

Awesome tractor
I had Rim Guard in my last 2 tractors
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Sweet. Ain't nothing better than a shiny tractor. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

gspren

Is that a cat 1 or 2 three point hitch? I have a cat 1, I think, ballast box I don't use any more that I'd give you, I believe you are about 70 miles from my place, that's to Laurel. I'll look if you want me to.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Wood Shed

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 20, 2020, 07:21:10 PM
Sweet. Ain't nothing better than a shiny tractor.
I'll second that, nice tractor.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Stephen1

Congratulations, nothing nicer that a new Tractor!! And Warranty!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

petefrom bearswamp

You will enjoy that machine.
I am assuming that an m70... is 70 hp as my m8540 is rated at 85 hp.
Had an early issue that the dealer took care of and the mechanic told me it measured just under 90 on the dyno.
Beet juice in the rears Farmi winch on the3 point, 13 years no problems except tire wear.
Doesnt get worked nearly as hard since the mill went to Arkansas.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Weekend_Sawyer

A couple of weekends ago I loaded the front and rear tires on Mr. Peanut.
I also loaded my neighbor's tires. It was only fair, as he went in on the cost.
We used Bio Ballast it's like beet juice and they wont say what it's made of but while we were putting it in it smelled a LOT like syrup. It's good to -35F, weighs 9.65lb per gallon and cost $2 per gallon. The nearest rim guard dealer wanted $5 per gallon.

The worst thing about it is its a sticky mess but cleans up easy with water so that's not too bad.

Here's a short video of us loading my tires.

Loading tractor tires with ballast. - YouTube 

Weekend_Sawyer

Repurpose, reuse, recycle.

I got this from a buddy. It's the basket off an old man lift.
It sat in the woods for a while and has some rust through but overall it's exactly what I need. I've been seeing advertisements for a 3 point tool carrier but it cost's well over a grand! So when I was helping my buddy clean up around his father's place and tripped over the basket the bells went off. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and I like it a lot.

samandothers

Nebraska

I like that tool hauler.  I need to make one myself.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

maple flats

Did that tractor come off the Jimmy Carter farm?
On my 36 HP tractor I have nothing in the tires (except air) but I have a rear ballast box that I use as needed, it weighs about 2000# with the stone I have in it. With filled tires just be careful driving over small stumps, the liquid ballast has no give and thus a puncture is possible.
I bought my ballast box from a farmer who said he was taking it to auction, I offered him $75 and he accepted. It's about 3' wide, 2' front to back and 3.5' high, it's filled with some rocks and then crushed stone which filled the gaps. I tend to prefer a weight box, because it is behind the rear axle and thus takes some of the weight off the front axle.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 02, 2021, 02:00:21 PM
A couple of weekends ago I loaded the front and rear tires on Mr. Peanut.
I also loaded my neighbor's tires. It was only fair, as he went in on the cost.
We used Bio Ballast it's like beet juice and they wont say what it's made of but while we were putting it in it smelled a LOT like syrup. It's good to -35F, weighs 9.65lb per gallon and cost $2 per gallon. The nearest rim guard dealer wanted $5 per gallon.

The worst thing about it is its a sticky mess but cleans up easy with water so that's not too bad.

Here's a short video of us loading my tires.

Loading tractor tires with ballast. - YouTube
Nice buy!
Bio Ballest is a by product of the bio-fuel industry. They also make a tire sealant that's good up to a 1/4. It can be mixed in with the bio ballest
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!