iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ carb gunk

Started by krusty, December 27, 2020, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

So....

Since I procured my TJ200 I have never cleaned the tank but change the fuel filter a couple times a year. Have a clear plastic filter so you can see when it starts to look like it needs a change. I have realized that the carb also needs a cleaning a couple times a year too. Its the Ford 172 gasser with a new carb. The passages never clog up, but the needle seems to have some sort of jelly that sticks to the tip and ends up keeping the needle closed. It takes about 5 mins to take it off, and clean up the needle, but is there any tank additive that I can add to stop this formation? it is not hard crud at all, and the filter seems to be doing its job.

Just want to stop this magic growth. Once the crud is out of the needle area it runs like a top again!

Krusty

sawguy21

Your gas is not being refreshed often enough if it is going gummy. Drain the tank, gas goes on the burn pile, then refill with fresh (non ethanol if you can get it) and add Sta-Bil or a similar preservative.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Glenn

I agree - clean the tank and use non-ethanol.  In Canada most gas stations high test does not have ethanol in it.  Then i would put a good dose of sea foam in it.  The sea foam works while the machine is shut off and will clean it out well.  I have had experiences were gas equipment was backfiring hardly running and after a good dose of sea foam and running for about half an hour the next week they ran smooth.  Takes some time but it does work.  Every 5 gal can of high test i buy i add sea foam to it.  The only reg gas i buy is for the everyday drivers - car and truck.  

doc henderson

If you have a nearby airport, they carry high octane high quality non ethanol fuel.  do not call and talk to the person that answers the phone, they always say no.  It is leaded so they tend to not sell to the public.  I go with a pilot buddy, and we do not ask, we just self serve and fill up a 5 gallon can.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!