iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer MP260 or 360

Started by Bboman23, January 18, 2021, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bboman23

I purchased the MP260 about 2 months ago and I have cut a decent amount of V-groove, bead board, shiplap, etc.  It has been a good machine so far, but I was wondering if anyone else on here has experience with this machine?

The wedge on the left spindle (the one that can move in and out) gets loose a lot.  It has caused my blades to break once.  After about 3-4 boards, the blades are loose.  I ordered new wedges today to see if maybe I just had a bad set...

The rollers on top seem to "gunk" up a lot.  What do you do to keep yours clean?

Mine has the dust collection system that is recommended to come with it.  Dust fills up the entire machine (under the cutting bed) literally from the floor of the shop up to the planer knives.  I have to take the covers off and suck the chips out quite often.

How hard is your boards to get started?  Mine you have to push hard to get it started, then you have to push hard when it enters the 2nd roller (right past the bottom cutter head).

Sorry for all of the questions, but I would love to hear from others that have much more experience than me.

If someone has experience and wouldn't mind chatting on the phone, I would be willing to reward you for you time!

tacks Y

Welcome to the board. I have a Logosol 260 bought used 5 years ago and just starting to use. Hope to run some in the am. So far none of the problems you have. Will get back in a couple days.

Southside

@Percy has a 360.  Perhaps he can help. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Quote from: Bboman23 on January 18, 2021, 06:58:38 PM
I purchased the MP260 about 2 months ago and I have cut a decent amount of V-groove, bead board, shiplap, etc.  It has been a good machine so far, but I was wondering if anyone else on here has experience with this machine?

I have a 360 so as Im not familiar with a 260, results may vary....

The wedge on the left spindle (the one that can move in and out) gets loose a lot.  It has caused my blades to break once.  After about 3-4 boards, the blades are loose.  I ordered new wedges today to see if maybe I just had a bad set...

I dont know what you mean by wedges...Im assuming its the units that hold the knife to/in the shaper head. I never broke a knife yet but there have been times the allen head screw that holds the knife in has been looser that I would have suspected...Since that time, I have tightened the screw(s) to the point of OCDness(issat a word?) and it hasn't happened again.

The rollers on top seem to "gunk" up a lot.  What do you do to keep yours clean?

Wire brush.

Mine has the dust collection system that is recommended to come with it.  Dust fills up the entire machine (under the cutting bed) literally from the floor of the shop up to the planer knives.  I have to take the covers off and suck the chips out quite often.

My 360 also has the recommended dust collection system....it is "just enough". Dryer wood is better than green for cloggs. My machine has 6 inch legs so I just use the leaf blower to remove chips under the unit.

How hard is your boards to get started?  Mine you have to push hard to get it started, then you have to push hard when it enters the 2nd roller (right past the bottom cutter head).

THe hold down/feed  rollers are adjustable for pressure on my machine.. I set them pretty nasty to avoid spin-outs. I also have a bit of difficulty starting the first board but I feed the stock end to end for a continuious cut and the problem is non exsistant till there is a gap min feeding

Sorry for all of the questions, but I would love to hear from others that have much more experience than me.

Ive had my machine for two years but its only getting used 3-4 days a month. Im still pretty green too.

If someone has experience and wouldn't mind chatting on the phone, I would be willing to reward you for you time!

I dont want or need money for info...Ill answer what I can here on the forum and perhaps together we help some others. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

tacks Y

Bboman, Are you running pine or hard wood? Kiln dried? I know that knob that comes loose on mine has plier marks so it must also.

Bboman23

I am running kiln died pine. 

tacks Y

Bboman, Did you buy new? If so Wm no help? Mine is the older one color unit, I think the same but have not seen the Wm. I looked at the lever again and think the end has broken off. Hope to run some this pm. Not sure if this would do better in the wood working area of the board?

tacks Y

Ran a few hundred feet of flooring through. You have me gun shy so checked gibbs on side cutters, stayed tight. I thought mine was hard to get past the 2nd side roller also. Turned out to be the bed past the bottom cutter, I was not running it and chips would get caught there and stop the board. Ran better back to back but by myself some times I did not keep up. The side cutter did not move but keep an eye on the handle. The movable side cutter plugged up with chips in the hose. After looking they had a bar in the middle where the hose hooks on, gone now. I blow chips out side so a window is open in my shop to make up air. I have a fan for dust and fumes and if no door open it will not blow much.  

Thank You Sponsors!