iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the market like for red maple lumber these days?

Started by Greyhound, April 07, 2021, 05:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

I need to clear a bunch of understory red maples from my woods. Most of it is small and scraggly and only good for firewood, but there will be some larger, straighte, clearer logs.   I thought there may be an "artisanal" market for some of it. 

btulloh

It's an excellent secondary wood used in furniture for things like drawer sides and backs and such.  Interchangeable with tulip poplar. Also used to make paintable furniture. Generally has to be clear for those uses. 
HM126

WDH

The wholesale market for soft maple lumber is very strong.  Until recently, it was selling for more than hard maple.  Last week's Hardwood Market Report had soft maple (generally red maple) for kiln dried, rough, FAS grade, tractor trailer load quantity at $2.27/bf.  Hard maple (generally sugar maple) was at $2.57/bf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greyhound

Wow!  I think I know what I'll be thinning out of my woods this Spring.

YellowHammer

Soft and hard maple are on the list of "very hard to get wood."  Places that used to ship 1/2 a semi load a week are now shipping 2 semi loads a week.  I can't even get had maple from conventional lumber distributors.  The demand has gone up, and so as has the price. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Raym

Quote from: WDH on April 07, 2021, 09:46:24 PM
The wholesale market for soft maple lumber is very strong.  Until recently, it was selling for more than hard maple.  Last week's Hardwood Market Report had soft maple (generally red maple) for kiln dried, rough, FAS grade, tractor trailer load quantity at $2.27/bf.  Hard maple (generally sugar maple) was at $2.57/bf.
I recently had to purchase 300 bf of soft maple from my local wholesaler for some upcoming jobs and had to pay $3.30 a foot
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Thank You Sponsors!