iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have about 10 big oaks, advice on what to do please

Started by steveh2112, April 11, 2021, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh2112

i will need to cut about 10 big oaks (18-24") and a few smaller ones on my land to make way for the house. so this is kind of a one time thing for me, not a ongoing need.

I'd like to use the oak, not sure on what yet but thinking siding and wood paneling so will likely mostly need 1"x whatever

i'm also cheap, so i'm looking at a Holzfforma G660 92cc chainsaw with probably a 24" bar, and an  chainsaw mill like the Carmyra Portable Chainsaw Mill 36" for $110 on amazon.

I know I should buy a quality saw and a bandsaw mill but $1000 for a saw and $3000 for a bandsaw mill seems like overkill.

but what do you all think, can i process 10 big trees, about 300 board ft of oak with a cheap 92cc saw and an Alaskan chainsaw mill in a "reasonable" amount of time, say a week or 2?

thanks

metalspinner

Unless you're just a gluten for punishment, I would hire out the sawing service.
An experienced sawyer will give you the highest quality products from your trees. And the cost is very reasonable. You will probably spend less than the equipment you mentioned buying.

I dont own a sawmill. I hire a professional to cut my logs. It's worth it. Especially since you mentioned this is a one time thing.
300 bf? The pro will be done by lunch on day one. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

btulloh

Ditto. Hire someone with a portable. You'll have better product and your back will than you.  How much is a week or two of your time worth?  Figure that plus the cost of equipment, learning curve, chain sharpening, and trying to keep the chinese saw running.  Seems like an easy decision. 

300bf sounds pretty low for the trees you listed. 
HM126

Stephen1

I tell people all the time, 'I can saw you enough lumber in a day for you to use for years to come'. 
Those are nice logs for my mill. I'd be done by lunch. 
You will only swear at that chainsaw mill and then go buy yourself a real sawmill, something like a lot of us on here.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Quote from: steveh2112 on April 11, 2021, 03:07:20 PMwill need to cut about 10 big oaks (18-24") and a few smaller ones on my land...............about 300 board ft of oak
I don't know where the "300" comes from but you could very well get 200bf+ from each tree, if they are only "one log trees"?  More than one log, multiply accordingly.  My recommendation; hire a portable sawyer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Only you know your circumstances and priorities but I tend to agree with the others. I own a sawmill and have hired sawing out before, I've also sawed for other guys with mills, just depends on what works best at the moment.

Greyhound

This is a perfect situation to hire a portable sawmill.

WV Sawmiller

I'm a mobile sawyer so don't think I'm trying to feather my own nest here. If you had more logs and/or a continuing need to generate lumber I'd consider buying a mill. Some people buy a mill and build a home/cabin and some outbuildings then sell the mill for most of what they paid for it but for a truly one time need hire the guy who has already paid his dues and passed the learning curve that comes with any new sawyer. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

there is a long wait for a new mill now, and prices going up with steel prices ect.  A used mill may require a bit of time to get in shape and get running.  you will have several thousand bf of oak, and could sell it to help pay for the milling, or dry it and use it on the build.  neat concept to build with what came on the land, like our ancestors.
there is a bf calculator in the toolbox section.
 a12 foot long log, 20 inches at the small end is about 200 bf.  x 10 is 2000,  that is only one log per tree.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!