iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbo 7 vs 747.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 13, 2021, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Any reason to go with the 747 over the Turbo 7? I probably have to order a bunch of bands soon, and it would be a good time to make the switch. I run .055"x1.25" with a 51hp CAT. The Turbo 7s do everything I need now, from locust to pine.Thanks. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

Stick with the t 7's
The 747 dull to fast for me
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Beavertooth

I have never ran the 747 but has just seemed to me they would dull quicker like Bruno says. But I think  you would be a lot happier with the 1.50 wide instead of the 1.25.  I run mainly turbo 7  .055 x 1.50 on my 62 cat LT70. I have a few regular 7 that seem to do a little better in big knots. You can push the 1.5 harder.  I just bought 60 blades which saved me over $500 with the free shipping and the 15 percent discount.. Was a chunk of money but seemed the smart thing to do especially with a good possibility anything and everything out of metal is going up in price.  
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

I had read a couple of not good reviews on the 747's so I bought T7 replacements.  They saw everything well so I saw no need to experiment.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Sounds like the Turbos are still a good choice. The 1.25s have served me well. Might as well stick with them, as I still have about 40 T7 and 10° bands. I plan on getting several more boxes so I can have a couple out for sharpening. Resharp is four weeks out, if they are at Resharp already. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

I tried two 747s then stuck with t7. 1-1/2 055 55 hp wide. Cut ok but seemed to me deeper gullet narrower band didn't make sense for me since t7 needed no improvement. Also metal strike with one 747wiped out teeth that t7 would have survived. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Resharp being slower is why I increased my blade inventory.  Resharp replacements are cheaper, but I needed to spend some 2020 $$ before the end of the tax year. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Well MM I can help you with that.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 13, 2021, 08:53:56 PM
I tried two 747s then stuck with t7. 1-1/2 055 55 hp wide. Cut ok but seemed to me deeper gullet narrower band didn't make sense for me since t7 needed no improvement. Also metal strike with one 747wiped out teeth that t7 would have survived.
I'm not even sure how I ended up with a box of 747's, a small nail completely removed enough teeth to send it straight into the scrap pile. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

I can cut black locust, spruce, most white pine, red pine and most hardwood with T7's
Hard maple and yellow birch I use frost notch bands and most of the winter.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

boonesyard

Everything I have is turbo 7s but I ended up getting a box of 747s a while back because I could get them quicker than the turbo 7s. I gone thru the box and see hardly any noticeable difference between the performance of the 2. I'll be sticking with the turbos, they cut everything I throw at them and I only have to deal with 1 profile.  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

barbender

I tried the 747 and wasn't very impressed. Probably more so because of how much WM hyped them, "it flies through everything!" I was thinking they were so good they might cut lumber by themselves, but it didn't work out that way🤷‍♂️😊 I think they probably dull faster. I was running standard 7° prior, the nice thing with those is they can often take a nail hit without even losing any teeth. Turbo and 747 both shed lots of teeth when you find metal. I was running 1-1/4 when I tried 747's, maybe I'll try them again in a 1.5" now that the mill is set up for them. Probably the biggest disappointment for me was I was expecting to really be able to push the feed rate, and that wasn't the case for me🤷‍♂️ The Turbo 7 in 1.5" x.045 is my happy spot for what I've been sawing. .050 and .055 blades haven't lasted past 3 sharpenings for me.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Barbender, try Silvertips. The difference in flex life is amazing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

That's what I'm running, but I've never had good flex life on the 19" LT40 wheels from any brand of the heavier blades. 3-4 sharpenings and pow! They are super fatigued at that point, I can just fold them over and snap them into little pieces easily for disposal.

boonesyard

A little off topic here but still about blades. Just an FYI, I ordered one carbide blade to try for some resawing 3 weeks ago, just checked on the order status and Woodmizer said it'll be another 3 weeks  :o. Guess I better take a good inventory of blades and decide what we'll need for the season, still don't have a sharpener. He said they are REALLY backed up in Resharp and blade production.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

trimguy

Does anybody have a picture of the different 7° profiles? So we can see the difference?

terrifictimbersllc

I don't but here's a verbal picture. it's an increasingly larger gullet for 7/34, 7/39.5, and 7/47. These are referred to as regular sevens, seven turbos and 747's.The beginning angle of 7° is from vertical, and is the same for all three. The back of the tooth angle is 34, 39.5 and 47° from horizontal respectively. So if you start at the face of the tooth going down 7°, curving then down To the bottom of the gullet,then start curving  up and climbing  up again to the top of the tooth, those three angles are the final slopes of the three profiles. Comparing a 34 with a turbo, you'd say the turbo looks like it has a deeper gullet. Comparing either one with the 747, you'd look at them and say that the 747 has pointy teeth. And obviously the largest gullet, not sure if it's deeper or not. The depth of  the gullet of all three is approximately 1/4 inch, and the gullet gets its increasing size from less material on the back of the tooth.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tin Horse

I guess my experience is a bit different than most with the 747's. Haven't tried the T7's yet. I have run most other brands.
Been using the 747's now almost a year. 0.055x1.25x195". Gotta say real happy so far. Cutting mostly mid grade white pine and some hemlock. All clean and no debarker. I'm cutting much faster and longer between sharpenings with no quality issues. Also cleaner boards. 35HP kubota diesel works well. Sharpen and set with Cooks. When milling my own trees I seldom hit metal so will have to wait and see. Next up will try ash but probably back to 4 degree.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Dave Shepard

I hit metal yesterday with a brand new T7. 3' into the log. This is what I do with those:

Junk band storage. - YouTube

trimguy

With the talk about different 7° blades, I knew there had to be a difference. I did not know what it was. Your explanation was very helpful, thank you. @terrifictimbersllc 

WDH

Dave,

I wonder if the 747 makes the same sound when you sling it :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

barbender

Not that it has anything to do with this, but I had a Turbo 7 I was removing from a flat pack dig into my glove and place me in a reverse arm bar this morning. I thought I was going to have to scream for my wife to come help😂😂

trimguy

Maybe I shouldn't try the turbo 7's 😁

barbender

Once you get them on the mill they're great, and behave quite well.You just have to keep an eye on them until they're on the mill😁 Some of these names, Turbo 7, 747, Vortex, Chipsweep, kinda start to sound like names of gang members. Makes me remember a story by the late outdoor humor columnist Patrick McManus. He was talking about the names of some of the rubber worms he fished with. Smoke, Red Hot, Motor Oil. He said it got to the point where he didn't want to get caught out after dark with them😂😂

Thank You Sponsors!