The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Work Gloves  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Work Gloves
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
I have tried many gloves over the years and I tend to have a rather extensive collection of gloves to meet the demand of most applications that occur in the collection and processing of wood and related materials.

In Western Canada we have a Ag supply hardware  and feed store that has a good collection of farm related work wear branded as Harvest Gear.

My goto choice of gloves is the Flextime goat skin work gloves. They com in a regular unlined in either yellow or white with a mesh back that keeps your hand pretty much sweat free and they wear better than ANY other glove I have ever used.

Price can be as low as 12.99 on sale and up 21.99 regular price. They dont fall apart and they wear very evenly. Come in both mens and womens sizes and they last me at least a full season of steady milling and related work. I been using them for about 10 years now.

I wait till Red Tag sale days and buy 2 or 3 pair. Last year I paid 12.99ea for 3 pair and just put the second pair on about a week ago. Red Tag days are about to start and the Company has now completed a major merger into eastern Canada and the grand opening sale combined with red tag days starts on the 16th.

You can order on line.   Gloves & Mitts - Peavey Mart  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 02:03:29 AM »
SD, whos Robert Borden?
Not to go into his history, he's the face on the Canadian $100 bill. ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »
I have tried various glove materials which included the coated cloth hybrids and none stop a blade tooth penetration as well as leather.  I keep several pairs of cheaper "farm" leather gloves for the sometime glove-less tailgunners but I generally wear pig or goat skin leathers.  Harbor Freight 's $6.00 gloves do very well.  I occasionally have to turn a glove thumb inside out and restitch it with dental floss.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
I know Elsie Borden, the friendly cow, she kind of faded away. Did she wear work gloves? ???  We don't have "Sirs" among our politicos and *DanG certain none of ours wear work gloves! All the "sirs" in my world have a commission.  :D   Been there done that. For that matter the military now has some VG work gloves, far improved.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
;D So, did you buy them old goat's gloves yet? :D

I wore a pair of goatskins today cutting wood, they are the Uline ones I bought before Christmas. They actually feel nice once you break them in for a day. I handle fir and spruce wood that is pitchy like pine, more so is the fir since it has lots of pitch blisters on the bark. Let ya know this fall after I bring it all into the house yard. Won't be pretty with all that pitch coating.  ;D

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »
I never was after goat or leather for a utility glove, that was someone else's suggestion- but I am waiting on a price & size on a military surplus string glove with PVC stripes right now, cheapskate that I am.  :D
I like elk or deerskin for an insulated "nice" glove.
Pandemic?- I took a look yesterday a.m. on a Walmart grocery trip at gloves and saw what was supposed to be a display of gloves- there might have been 5-6 pairs ranging from maybe $7-8 up to $20+ per pair. Not a single pair of what I'd call real work gloves. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 02:28:09 PM »
Cheapest web/nylon glove I get is $3 a pair. They dry fast if wet, but nice to wash'm in soap once in a awhile to get rid of that bacteria living off sweat smell. :D

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 04:24:05 PM »
When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.
Uline carries those I see. Several options. I like leather for wood handling and cut'n though. ;D

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »
Specifically for chainsaw work, I've been using mechanics gloves. Not tried an high end version but the HF & Walmart ones are all flimsy. I wondered about the wear and comfort of the Kevlar gloves. There's lots of models within that category, most seem to be plastic foam palms and fingers. They call it breathable but seems like it would be unlikely they are breathable and resistant to moisture much in a glove?
Last summer I wandered down the Walmart clearance aisle and bought a $3 mark down garden glove. It's made from fake leather on palms and finger tips and inbetween has what looks like scraps from a 1970's polyester suit but so far I cannot wear them out since ~ Sept last year and still going. They fooled me and probably never see them there again...

In the work glove links below, the 2nd down Magicman shows the main glove I have my eye on now. Blue blocks string knit glove. 

Offline bpbolde

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 10:06:51 PM »
I've been using the Milwaukee nitrile dipped cut resistant gloves. They have great dexterity and are reasonably durable.  At $4/pair, they're a great value.  Otherwise I have a good set of deerskin gloves.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »
On Milwaukee's website it shows 8 versions of them. other than paying shipping i see mostly @ $5 pair such as HD. I've wondered if the palms make your hands sweat with dipped gloves in spite of backs breathing? 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Work Gloves

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

37 Replies
Last post August 06, 2016, 02:24:15 PM
by Corley5
xx
Work Gloves

Started by Magicman on Health and Safety

10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 11:41:18 PM
by Magicman