iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work Gloves

Started by kantuckid, April 14, 2021, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I never was after goat or leather for a utility glove, that was someone else's suggestion- but I am waiting on a price & size on a military surplus string glove with PVC stripes right now, cheapskate that I am.  :D
I like elk or deerskin for an insulated "nice" glove.
Pandemic?- I took a look yesterday a.m. on a Walmart grocery trip at gloves and saw what was supposed to be a display of gloves- there might have been 5-6 pairs ranging from maybe $7-8 up to $20+ per pair. Not a single pair of what I'd call real work gloves. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Cheapest web/nylon glove I get is $3 a pair. They dry fast if wet, but nice to wash'm in soap once in a awhile to get rid of that bacteria living off sweat smell. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 17, 2021, 03:41:49 PM
When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.
Uline carries those I see. Several options. I like leather for wood handling and cut'n though. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Specifically for chainsaw work, I've been using mechanics gloves. Not tried an high end version but the HF & Walmart ones are all flimsy. I wondered about the wear and comfort of the Kevlar gloves. There's lots of models within that category, most seem to be plastic foam palms and fingers. They call it breathable but seems like it would be unlikely they are breathable and resistant to moisture much in a glove?
Last summer I wandered down the Walmart clearance aisle and bought a $3 mark down garden glove. It's made from fake leather on palms and finger tips and inbetween has what looks like scraps from a 1970's polyester suit but so far I cannot wear them out since ~ Sept last year and still going. They fooled me and probably never see them there again...

In the work glove links below, the 2nd down Magicman shows the main glove I have my eye on now. Blue blocks string knit glove. 

bpbolde

I've been using the Milwaukee nitrile dipped cut resistant gloves. They have great dexterity and are reasonably durable.  At $4/pair, they're a great value.  Otherwise I have a good set of deerskin gloves.

kantuckid

On Milwaukee's website it shows 8 versions of them. other than paying shipping i see mostly @ $5 pair such as HD. I've wondered if the palms make your hands sweat with dipped gloves in spite of backs breathing? 

Walnut Beast

Mechanix dura hide work gloves are some of the best I found that last and have excellent dexterity. The regular ones they have are good dexterity but can wear out in the fingers in no time. But not the dura hide. Worth every penny. The other pair is something I wouldn't wear but when the banker throws you a pair for Christmas I'll take them. 

Southside

I use the red Mechanics gloves that are cotton / cloth dipped in latex.  They last two to three days if I am running the moulder and a week or better if it's more just on the mill.  Buy them by the case for $0.50 or so.  When the rubber wears off toss em and get another pair as the splinter protection is gone.  They are small enough to keep in your jeans pocket and forget they are there and cheap enough to toss without getting upset.  What is nice is that I can feel all the buttons on my Super 70 and even answer the phone with these on. Regular leather gloves would last a day at most handling rough sawn lumber and forget about feeling buttons.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Might have to try them. I had some gorilla gloves like that a long time ago and liked them. Usually if I'm doing lighter stuff I wear the Venom  blue rubber disposable gloves and the black steel ones

rusticretreater

Believe it or not, Hardy brand gloves from Harbor Freight are a great buy for the money.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

I use Watson's goat skin/polyester gloves on the brush saw. Stand up pretty good to getting wet, although a little stiff when they dry out at first. :D Other leathers go slimy and slippery when wet, not goat skin. Also, liking Ulines goatskin gloves when wood cutting and handling. I haven't worn out a pair yet. The pair I am using now has handled probably 30 cords of wood, and that is 3 times by the time it is stacked. :D The cheap local stuff will barely last 2 cords. :D :D Worth every penny.

Ventryjr

I'll throw in my .02. In the summer/warmer temps I use Milwaukee single layer goat skin gloves.  Found them at Home Depot $9/each on sale so I bought 2 dozen pairs. Lol.     In the winter I usally wear a pair of mid grade mig/tug welding gloves.  They provide good flexibility, durability and warmth. 

The Milwaukee goat skins don't last forever.  I can cut,split,load a 16' dump trailer of wood and the finger tips will start wearing thru. The welding gloves definitely last longer.    Most of the time at the mill I won't wear gloves in the summer.  Just bear hands and splinters here. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Magicman

I will have to agree with the leather "Hardy" HF gloves, ~$6 per pair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old saw fixer

@SwampDonkey -  The Uline goat skin gloves, are they the white ones that come up on a search?
Thanks
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

moodnacreek

Just received my winter's supply of Endura insulated goat skin gloves. Not cheap but cheap in the long run. A power line worker once gave me pair of  a style of these you can not buy as they are spec'd out for working around high voltage. But there are similar ones you can get. After I wore out that first pair I had to have more. Most gloves only last a day or two stacking rough lumber but I can get 3 weeks with these and if I go through a finger I cut off a good one from another worn out pair and glue it on. Paid around $200 for a dozen pair. If you order these in insulated get the next size larger. I expect to go over a year before I need more.

melezefarmer

I like the Challenger brand fleece lined leather gloves from Napa here in Canada. Pricey but they do go on sale for 7.99$ a pair from time to time.

barbender

Moodnacreek, I was looking at those after you mentioned them and thought I'd try a pair or 2. Do you get the model that is a grey color or the brown ones? The fact they are treated to not absorb oil could be a game changer for me for work gloves, a lot of my winter gloves get retired from being soaked with hydraulic oil before they ever get worn out.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on December 15, 2022, 10:44:43 PM
Moodnacreek, I was looking at those after you mentioned them and thought I'd try a pair or 2. Do you get the model that is a grey color or the brown ones? The fact they are treated to not absorb oil could be a game changer for me for work gloves, a lot of my winter gloves get retired from being soaked with hydraulic oil before they ever get worn out.
The Endura goatskin gloves I have are almost white in color. The ones that just came have thick thinsulate ? inside and must be ordered 1 size larger. Others have less insulation and fit normal and are ok for summer. These are not bad in winter either. The goat skin wears off the dirt and grease so that is nice if you don't do dirty work every day. [ I don't like to leave black hand prints on fresh cut boards]  This company makes many styles and does not sell to individuals. I have been finding them on E bay sometimes. P.M. me if you need more info. Doug

Old saw fixer

Thanks SwampDonkey, that was same glove and the only goatskin glove offered by Uline.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

They sell  TILLMAN brand Tig welding gloves that are goat skin to.

Rhodemont

I really like my Tiger Cat heavy leather gloves for handling boards and firewood.  In the winter I wear brown cotton garden gloves from Tractor Supply as liners in them which keep my hands warm.  I rotate a couple sets if they get wet so they do not get soaked and dry stiff.  They are too bulky for operating the sawmill.  I had some deer skin gloves with which I could operate the mill and handle the boards but they did not last that long.  Sounds like these goat skin gloves would be good around the mill.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

SwampDonkey

They've worked well for me, the one pair I have been using so far are a bit covered in fir pitch, :D but still going strong.

I have another brand of goat skin, that are really thin, good for weeding the garden, but not good enough for wood handling, VGO brand. And I have to order the next size up in that brand. I do like the insulated ones by VGO for hiking my woods trails in the fall, not warm enough for winter. My regular winter ones are deerskin by Wells Lamont and thinsulate. Not a work glove though. Although I do have some Wells Lamont work gloves, I don't rave over them. Good enough for splitting wood or running the tree trimmer.

barbender

That fir pitch treatment should be waterproof?!😊
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!