iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol PH2600 / Woodmizer MP260 - looking for a used one

Started by a5t1, April 15, 2021, 07:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a5t1

I've been looking and reading about these smaller four headed molding machines.  I understand their limitations, however due to my power and space limitations I think they would be a good fit for my situation.  Logosol has stopped selling them and woodmizer is about 6 months out for one.  Woodmizer also told me that the machine should be able to take 1/8" cuts all around.  Can anyone verify that?  Anyone know of a used single phase machine for sale?

Southside

Take a look at the Woodmaster WM 4000.  I have been very happy with mine and it gets a lot of use. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

a5t1

Yes, I've been eyeing those up too.  I have a 725 now, which I'm happy with.   The molder is almost twice the price as the others, maybe it's worth it?

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

rojen

I'm in the same boat.  There are a few to be had but they're way too close to retail to justify the price.  Called Woodmizer today and there's a 25 week delay on new ones. 

A lot of the advice I see out there is to just go for a used weinig.  You can get them used for about the same price.  It's the kind of machinery that makes me think I've gone one step too far down this road though. 
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

rojen

I just called on a used one and they sold it to someone on the other line at the same time.  $13,000 located in TN.  Guess no road trip.  Wasn't 100% sold on it anyways
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

a5t1

I do like the woodmaster, I have a 725 now that has been really good.

Southside

I run my 725 in front of my 4000 when running rough sawn lumber. The 725 basically makes sure any thick lumber is addressed and skip planes one face.

It takes three of us to keep up with the material flow this way and everyone is moving. 

Usually we run at 20 FPM, not because the machines are maxed out, more the help is and my focus is quality. 

Run flooring, shiplap, log cabin siding, you name it my 4000 eats it. They are very well built. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

a5t1

rojen

Quote from: Southside on April 15, 2021, 08:21:26 PM
I run my 725 in front of my 4000 when running rough sawn lumber. The 725 basically makes sure any thick lumber is addressed and skip planes one face.

It takes three of us to keep up with the material flow this way and everyone is moving.

Usually we run at 20 FPM, not because the machines are maxed out, more the help is and my focus is quality.

Run flooring, shiplap, log cabin siding, you name it my 4000 eats it. They are very well built.
Are you straight lining at the same time as you skip plane on the 725?  Or do you have to do a switch over to the saw bar to size your blanks first?
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

rojen

Quote from: a5t1 on April 15, 2021, 09:25:58 PM
I'd love to find a used one.
What part of the country are you in?  I've been looking to buy a 4 sider new or used so I have a line on a few.
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

Southside

I straight line on my edger ahead of the 725, both sides, one pass. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

never finished

It will stall out on 1/8" cuts and that's not fun. The 1/8" cut very much depends on width of material. I shoot for 1/8" on sides and ?16" top and bottom.  Get your material as close to perfect as possible before feeding the machine. The better the material going in. The better the material coming out. Setup time  has a huge learning curve.

tacks Y

Will_Johnson

On any surfacing machine, the amount you can take off will vary with the width and type of the material.

The WM4000 can take up to 3/16" off the top and bottom for material up to about 12" wide. As you get out to the full 18" width of the machine, this goes down. Obviously this also varies with the type of wood -- poplar you can take more than oak.

The same is true of side cutters. On the WM4000 you can take 1/4" off of material up to about 1 3/4" tall. But this goes down with taller material and harder material.

Knowing a fair amount about sawmills and four-sided machines, I can't emphasize enough the earlier point that these machines (no matter who makes it) can't make a silk purse out of a rough-cut sow's ear. Material must be properly-sized, flat and straight when it goes into the machine.

Because we're in both businesses, we frequently counsel sawmill owners away from buying a WM4000 because they think they will just be able to put rough cut in one end and get perfect molding out the other end. Not the case.

customsawyer

One of the things I like about my Pinhero is that it can take rough sawed lumber make a product in one pass. I don't have to pre size it and all of that. I do take a bit more off of the sides than most recommend but that keeps me from having skips on the boards that shrink a little more. I won't lie I don't think the finish is as nice as some of the other machines but it is decent. I had a customer bring me 1.25X7.25X16 lumber one time and wanted .75X6X16 finished. He had about 12,000 bf of it. I set the machine to take a quarter inch top and bottom. Side heads to finish at 6". We fed it right on through in one afternoon. Machine never even strained.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

a5t1

I appreciate the feedback.  I'm sure there are other machines that can handle rough cut to finish in one pass - however- we also have to consider power requirements and size.  I consider myself on the high end of the homeowner class.  It is fiscally unreasonable to get 3 phase to my house ( 3 miles to the main road) and my current wood shop is roughly 20x25 with low ceilings.   Those constraints limit which machine I can use and consequently the machine's ability.  I'm looking for a step up from my shaper with a power feed.  That being said, I'm not sure I'm ready to build another structure to house a machine or move my current setup to one of my other shops - maybe one day but not right now.  As far as expectations, I'm really happy with my woodmaster 725 planer.  If I can find a molding machine, that fit's my constraints and is reasonably priced,  then I can live with  a lower production rate.  Does that make sense?  Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

I would say you don't really have that big of problems to overcome. The power requirements can be handled by a properly sized generator. The Pinhero machine I mentioned is just what I have. It's foot print is not all that big when it comes to 4 sided machines. I doubt if it is much larger than the other ones you are looking at. I think Newman and Yates make similar machines. Mine is a 93 model that I found used for a little over 25,000.00. You will want to get a blower that can handle whatever machine you get and probable leave room to grow. You can call me at 478-279-3657. I'll be glad to text you some pictures of what I have.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!