iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What critters have you seen from your house?

Started by Edvantage, May 09, 2021, 09:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I live in town but there is no shortage of wildlife, not uncommon to see deer in the school yard behind me. A couple of weeks ago I had my back to the living room window and heard a noise behind me. I turned around and there was a black bear cub up on his hind legs pawing at the window. A few minutes later the landlady came out yelling her head off and banging pots, she tends to get a little excited.
I felt sorry for it, looked to be a yearling so probably newly on it's own. If it is that accustomed to humans it doesn't stand a chance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Pretty boring here in NZ, well in regard of larger critters anyway. 

Anything with fur is either a pet, domestic animal, or a shoot on sight feral pest. 

There is a push to try and eliminate introduced predators from NZ by 2050. It's pretty ambitious, and would need a LOT of public buy in (people actually setting traps etc). But if you visit one of the Islands or fenced reserved, you can see why it's wanted.  The local one is having to re-home Kiwi birds as it was getting too crowded. They have large populations of Saddlebacks and NZ Robins that are otherwise extinct on the mainland. 

Some of the Native birds have adapted pretty well to human development, and a smart and/or feisty enough to survive the rats and ferrets. So we get native pigeons (Kereru), Tui (a type of honey eater) and Fantails (Piwakawaka) in the garden regularly. Silvereyes are considered "Native" because they self introduced about 100 years ago.   Suspect they stowed away on a ship from Aussie, but they are here now, so what are you going to do?  These birds can adapt ot Urban gardens and are maybe even helped by the introduced garden plants they can feed on over winter. 

But around the garden you more see introduced birds. Sparrows, Starling, Blackbird and maybe a Thrush. Birds that have evolved with predators like rats, and can handle them. 

We do have native fish in the stream, 3-4ft long Eels, Koura (freshwater crayfish / crawfish), and likely some smaller species, but they tend to be small and nocturnal, mostly because they live with 4ft long eels. 

Lizards take a hit from domestic cats, but you might see one occasionally. 

Tree Weta are an insect like a large and spiky cricket, plenty of those. The "Giant" ones are rare outside of reserves / islands because the Rats get them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

51cub

Deer and turkey all the time. Not alot of songbirds, but a hawk or two once in a while. I hear an owl every so often. They tell me there's fishers around but I haven't seen one yet. There is or was a good size bear roaming around. I haven't seen it. It apparently chased a guy around the gas station about a mile away early one morning. I did see the leftovers after it danced with my neighbors 3D deer targets and won. And had a flyover from a couple herons. Thankfully not one snake so far
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

sawguy21

Starlings were introduced to North America by English settlers who missed them ::). With no natural predators they flourished to say the least, the beggars are everywhere and a DanG nuisance. We are also seeing wild turkeys that are moving north from Idaho and Montana.

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 21, 2021, 02:19:43 PM
Starlings were introduced to North America by English settlers who missed them ::). With no natural predators they flourished to say the least, the beggars are everywhere and a DanG nuisance. We are also seeing wild turkeys that are moving north from Idaho and Montana.
No starlings here. Apparently we have turkey now and rising numbers. I have yet to see one. I'm thinking they are probably mostly up near colchester county.
A1

Stephen1

Saw a rare bald eagle , we don't have them here normally, pick a pike out of the lake, 18" came flying right at me then veered off up the small river.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Took this picture of this doe at the woodline about 80 yards or so from the house. She had been much closer but moved by the time I got my camera. Then a few minutes later we went to get in the truck and she was right by the get 10 yards from the truck.

I looked out a few minutes ago and saw these 2 spotted fawns by my woodshed which is about 50 yards behind my backyard fence. By the time I grabbed my camera Mama was back and led them off. We took pictures of a single fawn there several days ago but I think this is a different pair.

I have never seen as many deer in people's yards as I am seeing this summer. They are within 3-6 feet of people's houses all up and down the creek road I live on. We routinely walk out and see deer with 35-40 yards of our house and they stand on the side of the hill munching on the leaves as we walk to or from our vehicles. They are not concerned at all about us being there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jbpaxton

This morning had a sandhill crane in the yard, probably last years chick, it didn't look to be quite full size. The crows were having a fit because that part of the yard is where they like to be in the early morning.
jbpaxton

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 21, 2021, 02:19:43 PM
Same reason they are in NZ  ::)
They are common, but don't seem to interfere with the native birds or cause problems. Open grasslands and pasture aren't "natural" in NZ, so there are few native birds they rely on that ecosystem. Farmers generally like them as they go for Grassgrubs, which are beetle larvae that eat the roots out from under pasture. A flock of Starlings can make a dent in their numbers. 
I would think that some of your natural predators would find them edible, but they are pretty feisty and large flocks give some protection from predatory birds. They would be used to similar predators in Europe. 
Someone also thought it would be a good idea to introduce Canada Geese. Those have got out of hand, and they can sure eat. 
There are a few flocks of wild turkeys in the hills out East of here too, but they aren't getting out of hand. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

Canadian geese are hateful. They are a fine sight when just a couple but I see places over run with them and you cant step anywhere because they poop everywhere. If one comes at you definitely don’t back away embrace it or they will keep coming for you lol
A1

aigheadish

Whomever let the Canadian geese in should be taken out back. I'm normally a "live and let live" kind of fella. I like most of what nature has to offer and that includes just about all animals but boy do I hate those stupid geese. They are everywhere, here, they think they own the planet, they crap everywhere, and just stand in the roadways just moseying through. 

We're not "allowed" to shoot them but I've chased them with my car a fair amount and I've thrown rocks near them to get them out of my pond. Normally, it's nice to see birds in the pond but that may be the last time I've ran somewhere- to chase geese out of there. Luckily the pond is usually too small for them to be too attracted to and there are much bigger ponds just down the road.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

KEC

A lot to respond to here. I read that someone who liked Shakespeare thought we should have all the birds here is the US that were mentioned in the works of Shakespeare. Ianab, if you have any exotics by your home that you want to trap, I'd be glad to offer ideas on how best to get them. I did wildlife control for some time and came up with some novel methods that are effective. As to the Canada Geese, at one time they were so heavily hunted that state wildlife agencies feared that they'd be wiped out. They acquired geese from the wild, wing clipped them and put them in marshes in the Northeast US. Those geese reproduced and their goslings homed to where they were hatched. I don't think that anyone in their wildest nightmares could have foreseen how "successful" they would be. Also, Merlins and Peregrines have made a comeback in the Northeast US and both prey on starlings, though I doubt that they are making a big dent.

HemlockKing

Quote from: aigheadish on June 23, 2021, 06:50:45 AM
Whomever let the Canadian geese in should be taken out back. I'm normally a "live and let live" kind of fella. I like most of what nature has to offer and that includes just about all animals but boy do I hate those stupid geese. They are everywhere, here, they think they own the planet, they crap everywhere, and just stand in the roadways just moseying through.

We're not "allowed" to shoot them but I've chased them with my car a fair amount and I've thrown rocks near them to get them out of my pond. Normally, it's nice to see birds in the pond but that may be the last time I've ran somewhere- to chase geese out of there. Luckily the pond is usually too small for them to be too attracted to and there are much bigger ponds just down the road.
They get hit by cars all the time, when I've been to the city I've seen standoffs in the roads where the geese will just not move and start hissing and flailing at vehicles, the geese aren't pleased to hear blaring horns either. 
A1

sawguy21

There was talk of a Canada goose cull here, they have over run the beaches and made them almost unuseable, but the PETA crowd have so far raised too much of a stink. They and the migrating snow geese can sure lay waste to a grain field.

Hilltop366

Whitetail Deer, Eastern Coyote, Bob Cat, Skunk, Racoon, Groundhog, Mink, Red Fox, Squirrel, Chipmunk Garter Snake, Smooth Green Snake, Varying Hare.

Ringneck Pheasant, Canada Goose, Red tail Hawk, Northern Harrier, Barred Owl, Finch, BlueJay, Chickadee, Sparrow, Harry and/or Downey Woodpecker, Flicker, Cardinal, Vultures, Eagle, Mallard Duck,  Grackle, Robin, Eastern Bluebird, Ruby Throated Hummingbird, Cedar Waxwing, Crow, Black Bird, Starling, Woodcock, Seagull.

That is what I can think of for now. I'm sure there is more, especially birds.

SwampDonkey

Lots a critters here over the years, you name it it's walked through the yard. :D

Right now 5 ground hogs have taken over the place. Where is tippy the fox when you need him? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: aigheadish on June 23, 2021, 06:50:45 AM
Whomever let the Canadian geese in should be taken out back.
Frank McKenna, he was our premier in NB. You can blame that character. He let them bring nuisance geese here from Toronto. Now we have a non native resident, who never nested here, they only flew by spring and fall. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

A few years ago they thinned out a few that frequented this area, they opened a Spring Season!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

Moose this morning.
Moose visit 06242021 - YouTube

Deer
Bear
Bobcat
Mink
Groundhog
Pine Marten 
Fox
Coyote
Ruffed Grouse
Skunk
Chipmunk
Squirrel
Rabbit

Alligators and Hogs in Florida.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

I have 2 hawk nests within 100 feet of my house.  One of them carried a snake over our heads last week as it was heading back to the nest.  I have yet to see a bear, but they are here.  More and more of them are in MO.  I'm pretty sure I saw sign of one a few weeks ago.  Also, lots of foxes, coyotes, skunks, opossums, deer, and armadillos.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

To heck with the deer TR, I wanna know what kinda snake dat is??  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on June 26, 2021, 08:48:45 AM
To heck with the deer TR, I wanna know what kinda snake dat is??  :o
A really fast black snake, or, my wifes hose. :)

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Walnut Beast

This toad is a big insect eating machine. He's been around for years and is everywhere in the shop

Ianab

Makes my backyard seem boring.  :D

Even when I lived out in the country (end of a gravel road etc), you might see a rabbit, an Aussie possum, or maybe a feral goat. But that was about it. There are no native land mammals here, so anything furry is with domestic or a pest species. 

Here in town, we have some native birds, especially this time of year as they come down from the forest around the Mt, and hang out in town, or around the local farms. 

But we do have some cool Eels living in the stream down the back. Can't technically see them from my house, but this is in the back garden. 

Feeding an Eel - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!