The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Go Big or Go Home, Going Big  (Read 5621 times)

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
Re: Go Big or Go Home, Going Big
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »
I'm also totally unfamiliar with these shaving mill.  The primary purpose is poultry and livestock in the form of having something underfoot?

The box that cycles back and forth is gravity fed only?  There is no mechanical means to push the logs against the cutterhead?  I guess as long as the box is continuously loaded, there is no need for that?

Can you go straight to packaging with the shavings or do they need to dry?

Thanks (feeling very much like a dumb suburbanite at this point)
HM126

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2021, 11:50:16 AM »
Everything is gravity fed, no down pressure required.  You are correct that keeping the box at least 2/3 full is necessary as the machine can throw a log that is not held down or is too short.

In the bulk shavings business, shavings are loaded into a walking floor trailer loose.  We won't be bagging shavings like you see at feed stores.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
Everything is gravity fed, no down pressure required.  You are correct that keeping the box at least 2/3 full is necessary as the machine can throw a log that is not held down or is too short.

In the bulk shavings business, shavings are loaded into a walking floor trailer loose.  We won't be bagging shavings like you see at feed stores.

Really appreciate the details.  What an enormous undertaking.  I very much admire your tenacity and work ethic.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2021, 06:11:07 AM »
Do you have any drying in the line after the shavings are made? If not, how are you going to prevent mold and blue stain?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »
We do have a plan on drying the shavings. We just aren't there yet.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2021, 12:33:47 AM »
I will toss this out there as something very simple you can maybe scale up.  

I put my planer peels in a black 55g drum to save up for chicken bedding with lid on top.  Drum is in the driveway baking in the sun and basically forgotten about.  One morning i go to add more and the interior walls plus underside of lid are sopping wet from the moisture that came out of the wood and condensed on the cool tin. One sunny day with lid off vaporized that condensate out to atmosphere and chips were dry as a bone.   I keep a scrap of romex over the lip now to keep just a little gap for the lid to vent.  

Id think sheds, silos, old tanks or maybe dryvans parked in the sun would do the same without added energy expense from blowers or kilns and such.  Be a serious fire hazard to kiln. 

Isaiah 63:10

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2021, 12:37:38 AM »
parked in the sun

Sun isn't always an option. Need something to be consistent in a business sense.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »
Hot sun in north carolina is as consistent as rain in the PNW!

;D

Theyre parking solar farms bumper to bumper in the northeast and thats pretty marginal too.  But maybe that business is more about collecting lease rents, carbon credits and subsidies than it is kilowatts. Im no expert.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2021, 01:48:26 AM »
Hot sun in north carolina is as consistent as rain in the PNW!

;D

Theyre parking solar farms bumper to bumper in the northeast and thats pretty marginal too.  But maybe that business is more about collecting lease rents, carbon credits and subsidies than it is kilowatts. Im no expert.
Well maybe this is two different realms. Marketing vs reality. I'm no expert either but in the arena of supply/demand if the sun goes down so does your business. Not to get picky but drying that lot of shavings may require power from a combination of sun/coal/hydro or all of the above(they all are in the grid) to be a reliable supplier.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2021, 06:19:42 AM »
The shavings mills around here are using waste from their own operation and some others close by to fire a boiler to generate their electricity. They also use the boiler to put the heat into the kiln/driers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2021, 03:48:54 PM »
We are evaluating whether we even need to dry the shavings.  Our customers will have more to do with that decision.  We are meeting with the biggest one tomorrow.  He will be able to confirm for us the health issues of blue stain for the chickens.  If I recall my previous conversation with him, blue stain is not an issue.  Mold may be different but we've seen no mold so far.

For a little perspective on our initial experiences I'll share this.  Over the last few days we've made several tons of shavings while fine tuning the machine.  They are stockpiling in a building that is 1/3 open. Last week we had several inches of rain with some of the shavings getting wet.  We have experienced no heat, no mold and what blue stain we have appears to be in the logs already.  Because we are not currently bagging the shavings the issue of heat and combustion caused by damp shavings is minimized.

We have a couple of drying ideas to try out if it becomes necessary to dry them.  Our first step is to see if the process of blowing the shavings into open top walking floor trailers is going to help dry the shavings.  Then we will tackle the necessary machinery for drying if it becomes necessary.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2021, 04:34:18 PM »
I have seen a place run the shavings into a tromel with a blower running on the tromel.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2021, 06:41:52 AM »
If you blow the shavings they will pack and you will lose volume . This is offset somewhat by eliminating the loading of the trucks with a loader. However , it is surprising how much difference there is in the volume between the two loading methods.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »
Volume/fluff apparently isn't an issue for our main customer.  He wants more weight in his trucks.  As it is, loading with a loader will put around 9,000 pounds of shavings in a 48' walking floor open top trailer.  That leaves +-30,000 pounds of capacity unused.  This customer wants to use more of that unused capacity and let the chickens return the volume/fluff as they scratch around in the shavings.  We have a plan to take advantage of that unused capacity in the trucks.  That plan may necessitate drying but our proof of concept isn't complete yet.  I can't share specifics but if this works we will be able to offer something other shavings operations do not.

Offline ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »
So you will sell by weight? Then you have to account for loss of $ by drying. It's kind of a crap shoot. ;D I blew  shavings , where they would pack ,into a bin then loaded trucks . A friend loaded his bin with a conveyor and loaded with almost a sifting shake from his loader bucket. I think that he put less than 2/3 the volume I did in his trucks. He made a living from shavings , for me it was a side product.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:29 AM »
Right now I can't share too much about what we are doing, but making sure that the greatest amount of material possible is transported is a key factor to differentiating our operation from others.  If others are loading with blowers or with loaders, we will have a different method available for customers who want it.  

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »
Big shaving mill auction, acadian wood shavings down in LA.  Just an FYI if you were looking for equipment 
Liking Walnut

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2021, 07:35:33 PM »
I am cruising through the new posts and I came across this.
I'm thinking the last time I heard from SawerTed, he was going to get into a higher end profit line on his LT35. 
Well this definitly is a little bigger?
Good for you Ted, you were to young to really retire just yet.  8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
Still doing portable jobs.  I've abandoned any sales of any lumber at this point.  My sawing has been focused on higher end hardwood like quarter sawn white oak, walnut and cherry for select customers.  I had to reduce advertising to focus on the higher end stuff.  Now most jobs are repeat customers, friends and word of mouth customers.  

I did do a farm festival demo on Saturday and cut mostly utility grade white oak and pine framing lumber. That was mainly to help out a young couple making a business in agribusiness and entertainment - "agritainment?"  They are doing corn mazes, old time molasses making, corn shuckings, sheep shearing demos, bee keeping demos, pumpkin picking, yarn making and so forth.

Between the new wood products venture and a few portable jobs a month, I stay out of trouble or maybe I stay in it all the time. :) 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter