iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to me skidder, what did i buy?

Started by matti, May 29, 2021, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matti

just picked up this skidder
payed 7500 delivered

had a bunch of hoses and fittings replaced last year along with 4 new tires and fluids including diff fluid

the winch isnt working, looks like the drain plug is gone. 

brakes are not working very well

anyone know the model / year? looks like it has a ford motor
im hoping theres somebody on here who knows about these machines

id like to get the winch and brakes working and any advice would be much appreciated

thanks  say_what

mike_belben

I think you got a fine project for $7500 after-covid dollars.  I dont know anything particular about it.  Would like to see the injection pump
Praise The Lord

Steve Crook

it looks like my old garrett 15. but I had a front blade not a grapel set up . mine had a ford ind. gas engine but they did use the same engine in  diesel. last I new you could get a fiew old stock parts.

Gary Davis

it looks a lot like my garrett 15 they came with a choice of a Ford 172 cu gas or diesel, gearmatic 8 winch built in the  60s   it would be a garret built by can car mine has the diesel  the winches are fairly simple and some parts are still available  

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

From cans to cars, railroad I presume. Big name when I started. I have one of those 172 diesels. Hope you can fix the winch.

tacks Y

matti, Welcome aboard.  What state are you in? Looks like a nice set of wheels. From the pics looks nice and solid. Gear matic winch?

KamHillbilly

Can car garret probably built in Thunder Bay Ont
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

matti

The skidder has a plate on it that says "CD4A" maybe that's the model number? 

It has a gearmatic winch, I'm waiting for a buddy to come over with a truck and we're going to try and pull those cables out of the winch before I pull it apart

It's got a ford diesel motor in it and I need to replace the clutch, anyone know a good place to start looking for a new one online? 

I'm from Thunder Bay Ontario Canada and I believe this skidder was actually built here, course back then it was called Fort William ( in the 60s) 

Gary Davis

the ford desel will use  a different clutch then the gas although will fit I would check local parts store for a clutch first then an internet search , watch and see if the brake releases before you try and pull the line out they will get water in them and rust that will make it hard to pull out until its ben used a bit 
also a block heater will make it easy to start in the cold  if it is a gearmatic 8  I have a book on it 
good luck and let us know how it works   the CD4A is the model number it would be a garret built by Can car that plow will come in handy this next winter

The Wanderer

Your tires look brand new . Are they 18.4 x 34 ? What make are they ? Just wondering if they are forestry tires . I've worked the old C4s before , keep your blade/clam low on hills the back end tends to want flip over . I'm also in Tbay
Roy Saari

Thank You Sponsors!