iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The dirtwork thread

Started by mike_belben, June 04, 2021, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

nice work.  ive explored many a class 6 road in a past life.  nice solitude.
Praise The Lord

woodroe

I was surprised at how well the crushed gravel compacts. Costs a little more, $16 yd delivered 12 yd loads.
Used the 1 1/2 " stuff to build up the driveway base and topped it with the 
3/4" . It solidifies after packing it.

On my woods road I used the same stuff when I put a culvert in. Had some leftover from the driveway.
Bed of rocks, 3/4" crushed gravel bed for the culvert , encased it with the 3/4 and 
topped it off with the 1 1/2". 

If i had my own digger probably would have done things differently in the woods
but pretty happy with the results .
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

Get the water off and out of the road is the key. Built them high!!
Hog tough is the words my Father used to call your road PognyHill before you fixed it.
Your road looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Quote from: woodroe on June 15, 2021, 06:27:07 AM
I was surprised at how well the crushed gravel compacts. Costs a little more, $16 yd delivered 12 yd loads.

On my woods road I used the same stuff when I put a culvert in. Had some leftover from the driveway.
Bed of rocks, 3/4" crushed gravel bed for the culvert , encased it with the 3/4 and

Crushed gravel (ABC, road-bond - depending on where you are) is the best. Spreads like butter and packs nicely. Only issue is price. The screened gravel I use for woods roads is less than half the cost of crusher run. I use crushed gravel when I want a super-smooth surface or need it to compact really well.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Nomenclature is so regional.
Praise The Lord

Iwawoodwork

I have recycled old/used carpet to put down on soft areas that I covered with gravel, worked as well as road fabric, it takes planning ahead to get enough carpet ahead but the local carpet stores allow me to remove it from their dump boxes plus I have friends who know that I will take old carpet regardless of how bad it is. Sure takes a lot less base rock to put it down in the soft spots and then spread the rock. 

mike_belben

used to use carpet to preserve the integrity of fresh bmx jumps. 
Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

Quote from: PoginyHill on June 15, 2021, 07:21:14 AM
Quote from: woodroe on June 15, 2021, 06:27:07 AM

Crushed gravel (ABC, road-bond - depending on where you are) is the best. Spreads like butter and packs nicely. Only issue is price. The screened gravel I use for woods roads is less than half the cost of crusher run. I use crushed gravel when I want a super-smooth surface or need it to compact really well.
If you flood the ABC stone with water and roll it with a vibratory smooth drum roller it will work up a slurry on top sort of like you get when you finish concrete. The fines and rock dust will fill in any voids and will cure out hard as a rock. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

I often mix clay and water to pancake batter mix and pour it into potholes or little backfills.  Screed it up like concrete so the cream comes up and gets dried out faster by sun and wind.   Dries very hard in a few sunny days as long as ya dont go too thick.  

Ive also "mortared" a field stone barbecue together with mudcrete the same way. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on June 17, 2021, 11:09:33 PM
I often mix clay and water to pancake batter mix and pour it into potholes or little backfills.  Screed it up like concrete so the cream comes up and gets dried out faster by sun and wind.   Dries very hard in a few sunny days as long as ya dont go too thick.  

Ive also "mortared" a field stone barbecue together with mudcrete the same way.
My only problems with using clay is after a few days of dry weather it's a dust storm every time you drive down the road lol
A1

Tacotodd

Mike, you are one of the most CRAFTY people that I've ever had the pleasure of reading and interacting with! 

I promise you one thing, what I said in my previous sentence is an EXTREMELY good complement!  8) smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 18, 2021, 05:33:06 AM
Mike, you are one of the most CRAFTY people that I've ever had the pleasure of reading and interacting with!

I promise you one thing, what I said in my previous sentence is an EXTREMELY good complement!  8) smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce
When you REALLY don't wanna spend a dollar that inspires creativity lol 
A1

Tacotodd

Yes!

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

thanks todd.  i endeavored to be wealthy when i was young but the Lord had better plans.

(quote keeps messing up, to HK)

yeah we do get that (dust bowl) in a drought, especially with the mower.   generally i try to have stone for cap.  you cant fix a pothole with more stone.  you need to displace the water first and clay is a supreme material for shedding water.  but you cant be letting it sit flat on clay or itll slake and consume your rock.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

here is a clay slurry example.  for me its just a basic retaining wall so i can pitch the water against its drainage and not have it eroding across my lawn. but if one wanted to say remove the blocks after it dries and then pour a swimming pool or coi pond form, something like that.  the clay will hold its shape perfectly once set up.  you could use any form shape you want just like concrete.  can trowel and smooth and shape it after then spray-crete it or put a liner or whatever you can dream up.  the water removes all the air space so it becomes much less penetrable by future water and incredibly compact.  loose clay fill will flow apart in the first downpour but not slurry mix once dry.  it will shrink and crack a lot when drying.  you can only do a few inches thick per lift.  below 6" it may never dry. 

Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

Working on an asphalt repair project at a Wal-Mart distribution center. The parking lot has only been there for about 12 years and is designed for a 20 year cycle. The reason it failed so early is the original grading contractor didn't cut the subgrade deep enough. There was supposed to be 8" of abc stone under the asphalt and he only had 4"  in places. That caused the asphalt to fail and water to seep in and cause more problems. I am removing the asphalt in 50,000 square foot sections, removing the stone, grading the dirt to proper depth, and replacing on top of geogrid. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

PoginyHill

Does ABC come in different sizes? Or does it refer to a single size, such as 3/4" and under? What is the size of the material you are using for the asphalt base?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Patrick NC

Abc stone is basically crusher run that will pass through a 1.5 " screen. To meet NC DOT specs it must weigh at least 130lbs  per cubic foot and have 25-35% fine material. 
Our asphalt base is 1.5" , intermediate is 1" and surface is 1/2". On this particular job we are adding fiberglass to the asphalt mix for added strength. 

mike_belben

Thats a heck of a job.  Theres nothing harder on tar than a distribution center.  Nothing but jackknifing tractors at 60k + 24/7/365.  Tire scrub is real hard on ground.
Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

We've got 3 more of these jobs at different distribution centers across the state. They are really good jobs because the upper management at Walmart is smart enough to fix it right. I've done other repair jobs in high traffic areas where the owners just want to patch the bad areas. We always end up back within a year or so to do it again because patching doesn't work. 

Resonator

Are you running any kind of TopCon laser on the grader blade? (Don't see any receiver).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Patrick NC

Quote from: Resonator on July 03, 2021, 12:44:23 PM
Are you running any kind of TopCon laser on the grader blade? (Don't see any receiver).
No sir. String line and eyeballs. I'm one of the few left that doesn't depend on GPS or a laser. 

Resonator

Nice! smiley_thumbsup I've worked with different operators on different jobs who have been able to do that, and I'm always impressed. The guy that built my septic system got the grade smoothed within 1/4" just with the big excavator bucket. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

I let the water tell me when im right.  It never cares what a gadget says.
Praise The Lord

barbender

It all has it's place. On the one hand I wouldn't want to be clueless when the technology goes down, but the fact is it increases productivity. Take setting grades- do you want to use an old optical instrument and use 2 people, or push the button on the laser and do it with one? There's no way a person can match the speed and precision of machine laser grade controls. Sometimes it is faster to do the job manually without setting the laser equipment up. I got out of construction before GPS controls were really prevalent in my area, so I haven't worked around those but I'd expect much the same.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!