iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Momma Turtle

Started by Magicman, June 19, 2021, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yellow-Bellied Slider laying her eggs.  I happened to notice this which was a first for me.  
https://youtu.be/6vou8FRnLFs
Notice the mud behind her hind legs when she was laying.  She had to have brought the moisture with her because the ground was dry and hard.

And then the covered and level nest after she finished her job.

Several weeks after mating, a female digs a hole with her hind feet and deposits 6 to 10 eggs in it. The eggs incubate for 2 - 3 months and the young often stay in the nest over the winter, emerging the next spring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Around here they will suggest you surround the nest site with construction wire as the racoons, possums, etc will dig up and eat the eggs. Take it down later and give the little ones a fighting chance. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Never come across a turtle very often. But it's like spotting a lynx, you might see one in 10 years and a little exciting. Watching a turtle lay eggs would be extra special.

Cool video. smiley_thumbsup
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Amazing. I witnessed this as a child at a campground. Haven't seen a turtle  nest since. Turtles are cool.
A1

thecfarm

I see snappers lay eggs. Mamma snapper is not happy with me around either. They lay eggs down by the culvert at the end of the road. Very common to see 3-4 laying eggs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

I had a 10 inch snapper stuck in the fence wire recently and boy was it pithed at that shovel.  Like a cobra.   

Bout a week before helped a baby snapper out of the driveway.   Have had a few of them over the years. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

I had gone all of my life without seeing a turtle digging an nest and laying eggs, and saw another yesterday:

Her hind legs were steadily digging.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!