iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellowhammer Fishing

Started by YellowHammer, June 19, 2021, 11:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Nice one with sunrise behind 8)
Next one looks quite later, do you fish by tide?

IC - different days..

JJ

stanmillnc

Yep, caught these two on different nights and yes with cut bait on the Atlantic side. Not caught at the infamous Cape Point, although that is arguably the best spot in North America for surf fishing. The point has been closed to ORV access and even fishermen on foot after dark from ~ May to September. The stated reason is that oystercatcher bird nesting was observed; but speculation is that it's more about people control than bird protection, especially considering the timing during peak drum fishing and vacationers.

Anyway, the kids caught some pinfish at the marina and I cut them into thirds, put on a circle hook heaved as far as possible. You can catch plenty of drum sound side, but typically they are "puppy drum," or slot size fish (18" to 27").

Texas Ranger

Lake Livingston gar, 8 foot or so, 200 pounds or so.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

barbender

Gosh TR, that there gar was so big you had to shrink the picture to fit it on the Forum!😁 It does look like a monster!
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Love the fishing tales.
Back when we had the florida house, I went for grunts with a friend.
Caught a bunch and my friend caught a nice king mackerel.
The captain asked what we wanted done with it, my friend didnt want any so  I had him cut steaks.
Never had eaten one but we are game for most anything.
I found a recipe on line for a rub, used it, broiled them in our toaster oven and they were delicious.
Used to go on a head boat out of Gloucester mass for cod and pollock,  but havent gne for 10 yrs or so.
My first trip with 2 other guys was the best as we split the fillets when we got home and had 110 pounds of fillets apiece about 2/3 cod.
LOts of good eating and gifting to friends.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

I just watched a River Monsters show with Jeremy Wade where he went alligator gar fishing in Texas.  Those are some big fish.  I remember years ago I was bass fishing in guntersville in a hundred acre weed patch and we saw something flapping on the surface out in the middle. I remarked it looked like a big green paper plate sticking up on its edge, and was about that size.  It was weird.  So we eased over to it with the trolling motor and we noticed it looked like the dorsal fin, but it was just too big.  As we got closer, the fin just faded under the weed mat and disappeared!  We decided it had to be the fin of a huge alligator gar, and it was a monster. I'd sure like to catch one that big. 

I've wondered why everyone doesn't fish for cod, where they are available.  Maybe they do.  That would be some good eating.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

trimguy

I just read this whole thread, exciting ! Maybe one day .

YellowHammer

The excitement never ends....a couple weeks ago I was coming home and something kind of unexpected happened.  I was only going 60 mph down the road when the entire wheel came off.  The lug nut studs broke.  It is surprising how well a trailer will roll on just the disk brake rotor.  

You know those deep gouges in the highway you occasionally see and wonder how they got there?  Well, here's mine.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

Not cool.  Had that happen on a tandem axle with my tractor on it.  Probably better to occur on a tandem than single axle!

Stephen1

I am glad it kept rolling and not swerving.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

K-Guy

Note to Yellowhammer
When the tires look like racing slicks it means change them not go faster!!!  smiley_deadheader_ride_alligat :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WV Sawmiller

I can well relate to that as my whole left boat trailer wheel and hub came off about 5-6 weeks ago about 2 miles from home about 7:00 am in the construction zone where they had the road narrowed to one lane in a big curve. :( Fortunately the bottom brace on the trailer was low enough to to keep the foot of the motor from hitting and destroying it. I ended up getting a rollback to come take me home and got a new hub and bearings and got back on the road by about 3:00 pm and back to the lake to take up my catfish lines. It is a sick feeling to look back and see the tire passing you. I am glad nobody was hurt and the damage was no worse than it was.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!