iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got old Betsy back up and running.

Started by customsawyer, September 19, 2021, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

After the ordeal of getting my LT70 home from Hazelhurst I finally got her back up and running. It had the 24' ext. with the hyd. on it but I also had a 12' ext that I wanted to add to it. Well that wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. The top and bottom rail on the 24' ext. were not drilled and they were ¾" short. Thus I had to drill them and then make a bushing to cover the ¾" gap and make my own extra long pin to connect the two ext. together. Here she is setting on a 65' pad with a 36' log on her. I went ahead and removed the axle since it basically removed it self. Yes I bolted her down. 

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

One or two more extensions and you can hook it up to Dannys saw and cut from either end of the log.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

When I had twelve and twenty four foot extensions on my LT30, the feed chain spur wore down quickly. I tried to figure out a way to support all that chain but didn't come up with a decent solution. D'you know any NASA engineers that could sketch up a solution to that little issue? 😆 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

GAB

Jake:
Do you have any pictures or drawing of your new alignment pins?
Looking at the picture you posted it looks to me like if you were to cut it into two pieces you should be able to get more usable lumber.  Looks like it has quite a belly.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

customsawyer

Quote from: GAB on September 19, 2021, 11:31:32 AM
Jake:
Do you have any pictures or drawing of your new alignment pins?
Looking at the picture you posted it looks to me like if you were to cut it into two pieces you should be able to get more usable lumber.  Looks like it has quite a belly.
GAB

I cheated on the alignment pins. I just got 2 grade 8 bolts ½" by long enough that I could cut the head and threads off and used the smooth part. ;)
As to the log having a little belly in it it (Tom) did. That is one of the reasons I charge extra for the long material, is to absorb some of the extra waste. This customer needed 25 ft. boards for a lowboy but with that much sweep in the log I left it attached until I could get my first two faces cut. The extra length let the log reach my hyd. toe board rollers, turner and clamp on the 24 ft. ext. This makes the log handling easier on the first two cuts. After that I cut a 10' log off the small end and moved the log up to the front of the mill. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAB

So you did what was best based on the equipment you have.
I like it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jmouton

now you have to hook up the sawdust blower,  or youll be like us using a snow shovel to get it away
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

YellowHammer

I think there is a now an 8th Wonder of the World.  Along with the Pyramids and the Great Wall of China is Jake's "Mile Long Sawmill."  

Seriously, what is the longest Woodmizer in history?  Is this it?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GAB

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 19, 2021, 07:13:48 PM
I think there is a now an 8th Wonder of the World.  Along with the Pyramids and the Great Wall of China is Jake's "Mile Long Sawmill."  

Seriously, what is the longest Woodmizer in history?  Is this it?  
I spoke with the CFO for WM around 2000 and he said they had sold one mill with four (4) 24' extensions.
And I said to who and what was it for?
He replied: to the U. S. Navy they were building the replica of a ship and needed to cut masts.
That is the longest that I heard of.
GAB

customsawyer

I figure there might be once or twice that I will actually need the extra length. It sure is fun to hear the gasp on the other end of the phone when someone is thinking they are going to challenge your operation and they ask how long can you mill. They usually need something around 25' long so when you hit them with 56' you almost always get that long pause on the other end like they are trying to think of something that they might can use that long just so they can say they had it cut.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Old Greenhorn

Cutting it is tough enough, transporting it is another issue. ;D
 Man that is SOME mill! You should take some good photos and make a calendar up, now that's eye candy! Just the thought of trying to level the pith on a log that long or handling slabs has already cost me some sleep. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Andries on September 19, 2021, 10:52:47 AM
When I had twelve and twenty four foot extensions on my LT30, the feed chain spur wore down quickly. I tried to figure out a way to support all that chain but didn't come up with a decent solution. D'you know any NASA engineers that could sketch up a solution to that little issue? 😆
My mill came as a manual mill and I added 2 drive chains. Even though it cuts just 20 feet (long to me) I didn't want chain hanging freely in easy access of dropped boards and other accidents that could hit the chain. So I did this:

I welded a 1 x 2 channel iron for the upper loop to slide on and the return loop passes through a pipe with a PVC pipe inserted  to minimize chain wear. I put a screw through the channel into the PVC to keep the chain from dragging the PVC out. On the top loop there is slight wearing of steel on steel but so far (16 years or so) there is minimal wear and it still works fine. For heavily used mills a thin layer of HDPE sheet could be added to the channel surface for further protection. I can stand on the 1 x 2 channel but it is not heavy duty so logs shouldn't hit it and they don't because the loading ramps don't make contact with the channel. There is no noticeable wear on the drive sprockets. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

Must use hand signals for the guy on the other end.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!