The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 4 bands for one log  (Read 1112 times)

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 4 bands for one log
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 09:08:17 AM »
Eastern Larch can saw great, or horrible. The sketchy conditions it grows in can lead to very twisted grain etc. I've learned to pick which ones go on the saw, or straight to the firewood pile. I just git back from northwest Montana, and U was drooling over that Western Larch. Straight, no taper, just beautiful timber that I suspect would all saw well. All of that said, Larch is the worst wood I've sawn for pitch build up on the blade. As far as drying, it is the one softwood I think were you should try to slow the drying process. I've seen it crack across the grain from stress, in a stickered pile. Again, this is eastern larch we call tamarack, and I would expect other larch species to behave better due to their better form if nothing else. 
Too many irons in the fire

Offline wisconsitom

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
Thanks Barbender.  I've got tamaracks present in my woods, but what I'm contemplating here would all be hybrid larch.  Largely growing straight and tall.

I do wonder if I'll ever get so far as to have a saw rig.  Or will I go up the road a few miles and see if that commercial sawmill in town can do anything with my logs.  We're thinning in those blocks already, but so far, not saw-sized materials, just poles and posts.

Gotta plan ahead though-fast growers!
Far as I can tell, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
Hi Winsconsintom. Larch gums the blades. Even with diswashing liquid. A friend of mine, with the sawmill in the next village, and the same type of mill as mine. Cuts a pine every three of four larches, to clean bladesIt dries fast here, where it's always fairly dry. Average 30/35% rh in the air iirc. In three or four months you can use a 1 inch thick board. I forgot to say, mountain, larch is tempéramental and dries often crooked if not strapped.

Check that LE SECHAGE DU BOIS

If ever your google is keen on translating. It' s an interesting read.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline wisconsitom

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 12:27:43 PM »
Thank you sir.  That's not a light read!
Far as I can tell, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:59 PM »
That is an interesting read. Not that I've finished it but I made it down a couple pages and I'll finish the rest later.

I note that the old French air drying rule of thumb was 1 centimetre per year. Here it was an inch a year, so 2.5 centimetres, presumably from some old English rule of thumb. I find that interesting, given that species would be identical and wonder at the why of it.

The other being that I have some customers who do fine furniture who don't want KD wood, and will pay a premium for air seasoned. "More workable" is the usual comment, and all the explanations about modern kiln controls vs the older types do not make much difference. Thing being that I do believe they are right, my limited experiments with hand planes and chisels seem to agree with them... air dried wood feels softer than KD.

None of which gets around the reality that sitting on a stack of wood for years to season it comes at a price, and in our world of just in time delivery it's not an economically viable proposition
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 09:19:45 PM »
Longtime Lurker. I always have been told, 1cm per year and per face. That's 2cm, not far from one inch. 

I can't tell if kiln dried is better or worse. I don't see kiln dried wood often. I can't even tell much besides larch. Well i sometimes work ash, oak, douglas,  pinus cembra, swiss stone pine, and few other mountain pines. But i don't think i have made anything with wood other than larch for two, three years.  ;D

On the website above, what i found interesting, is that he says three months for one inch thick pine or the likes is enough drying time. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Saw Bands

Started by oregonsawer on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 01:14:46 PM
by oregonsawer
xx
1 1/4 or 1 1/2 bands

Started by Hugh Darty on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2015, 08:51:51 PM
by Hugh Darty