iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beware of rotting frames on 2011 to 2021 Chevy Silverados

Started by 21incher, September 23, 2021, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside on September 26, 2021, 08:31:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with going 70 in the rain at 29 degrees. Stopping or turning on the other hand...  ;D
Sometimes you get to go 70 in the rain at 29 degrees, turning and turning and finally abruptly stopping whether you want to or not! ;D  Freezing rain is the worst here.  We get more freezing rain than snow most winters.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

Quote from: beav on September 26, 2021, 05:00:38 PM
Road salt also teaches drivers it's ok to go 70mph when it's raining and 29° outside.
Wrong.  That's 80 mph here.
Quote from: SawyerTed on October 01, 2021, 09:32:18 AM
Quote from: Southside on September 26, 2021, 08:31:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with going 70 in the rain at 29 degrees. Stopping or turning on the other hand...  ;D
Sometimes you get to go 70 in the rain at 29 degrees, turning and turning and finally abruptly stopping whether you want to or not! ;D  Freezing rain is the worst here.  We get more freezing rain than snow most winters.

Wrong. That's 80 mph around here.

21incher

Well 2 weeks later  it's still sitting  at the dealer.  Sounds  like they have a employee shortage  and keep pulling the guy off it to do other big jobs. They  had no one trained  to do the TSB and it's  the worst rusting they have ever  seen on a new truck frame. I still have the brand new Silverado  loaner and don't  know why anyone would  buy one with  the 5.3 and auto stop. The 5.3 is a dog compared to my 6.2 and a gas guzzler.  They also put a pin through the hitch so I can't use my trailer with the loaner. Hopefully next week I will hear more.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

snowstorm

i know someone that bought a 20 last year with the 5.3 he is claiming 20 tp 24 mpg seems a bit high

21incher

I found the sticker they scraped off in the dash and it says 16 / 23. My 6.2  is between 19.1 and 19.6 local driving per tank calculated out. It drops to about  18.5 towing my 8k dump trailer. Hits about 23 to 24 Highway.  There is a big difference between them.  My 6.2 going  along at 55 mph is usually just running  on 4 cylinders.  If you step on it a little  to pass someone It switches to 8 cylinder  and smoothly takes off with no drama . This 5.3 if I step on it a little at 55 it kicks down 2 gears and screams like a sewing machine motor. I never  realized  there would  be a noticeable difference between the 2 because I only test drove the 6.2. I can't  imagine what those little  4 cylinders they are putting in them now sound like. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

I had the 5.3 and noticed the same, falling on its face then screaming like crazy 2 gears down. I imagine is even worse with the 4.8
A1

Hilltop366

I used a 2014 (I think) truck with the 6.2 in it to tow my tractor home from the camp, I was rather impressed with the power and milage. I had towed the tractor to the camp with a 1995 dodge with a 5.2, talk about a difference! twice the power and used less than ½ the gas.

Hilltop366

On the other hand I was throwing some wood in the back of the Dodge and a block slipped out of my hand and hit the rear fender hard .... never left a mark, if that had been the newer GM it would have stove the side in at least a couple inches.

snowstorm

We were out west last spring and rented a new youkon the most I saw was 17 mpg for the week. What is up with the transmission in those things? Coming down the mountains of co. It would drop 4 or5 gears at once with a Big Bang 

21incher

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 03, 2021, 09:33:46 AM
On the other hand I was throwing some wood in the back of the Dodge and a block slipped out of my hand and hit the rear fender hard .... never left a mark, if that had been the newer GM it would have stove the side in at least a couple inches.

That's why  I bought the dump trailer 

Quote from: snowstorm on October 03, 2021, 10:28:42 AM
We were out west last spring and rented a new youkon the most I saw was 17 mpg for the week. What is up with the transmission in those things? Coming down the mountains of co. It would drop 4 or5 gears at once with a Big Bang

That's what this one does. Drops a couple gears at a time but I think it's  because it's still in the learning mode.
Mine always shifts extremely smooth and you don't notice them during normal driving. Put it to the floor or in the trailer mode the shifts stiffen up but don't skip any up or down. I have the 8 speed but I think they changed to a new 10 speed last year. When they change transmissions there always tsb's to improve them That one probably was not treated nice during learning  period being a rental or could need an update. 
Those numbers I gave are for 2wd mode and drop slightly when I  go out in the winter using 4wd auto but we usually wait for the snow to melt and I haven't run a full tank in 4wd to do the calculation.
I test drove one of the new RAMs and that felt like something ran into the back of it everytime I stopped. It would  ban down 3 gears after  stopping shaking the truck.  I quickly took RAM off my list because of the tranny.

Ianab

Quote from: 21incher on October 03, 2021, 11:15:26 AMWhat is up with the transmission in those things? Coming down the mountains of co. It would drop 4 or5 gears at once with a Big Bang

If it's downhill it will be for engine braking. Dropping one gear in an 8+ speed isn't going to do anything to hold you back as the ratios are so close together. 

With an old 4 speed you might drop one gear and get the same effect as 3 gears on an 8 speed. Doesn't mean the have the shifting program perfect of course, but downshifting one gear would be pointless. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

I like my 06 6.0 5 speed standard 2500 4x4 oiled every year, goes like a hot rod. Just turned 100,000 miles.
I hope you do well with your truck in the end.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

21incher

Thanks  Peter still no word on when it will be done.

Quote from: Ianab on October 03, 2021, 06:26:05 PM
Quote from: 21incher on October 03, 2021, 11:15:26 AMWhat is up with the transmission in those things? Coming down the mountains of co. It would drop 4 or5 gears at once with a Big Bang

If it's downhill it will be for engine braking. Dropping one gear in an 8+ speed isn't going to do anything to hold you back as the ratios are so close together.

With an old 4 speed you might drop one gear and get the same effect as 3 gears on an 8 speed. Doesn't mean the have the shifting program perfect of course, but downshifting one gear would be pointless.
I guess you haven't driven one of these 6.2s. I have a button to drop one gear at a time when going down a hill loaded and each gear does make a big difference at holding the truck back. Cruise control could probably overreact and drop a couple gears if you are using that.  The biggest cause of low gas mileage on them is usually under inflated tires and that's why there is a reading of the pressure  in each tire on the display.
I just read the 2022s will have the ability  to run on from 2 to 8 cylinders pushing the mpg of these engines even higher. It's my favorite engine of any trucks I have ever owned and gets over 3 times the gas mileage of the 460 I had with  much less hp and torque than this.  

snowstorm

I run 6.7 fordsso I don't have trans problems. The gm shifting thing is well known. I just don't like gas engines. None will get the fuel mileage or pull with a diesel. The only one that comes remotely close is the 7.3 gas

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

I remember that one Jeff. That's what I am hoping to avoid because we love the truck and it was supposed to be our last. They use a neutralizing chemical that's supposed to eliminate the rust for good but I have my doubts and there is no corrosion warranty after 36 months.

21incher

Another week gone by and still sitting at the dealer.  The tech starting on it had symptoms of Covid so he got sent home  for 10 days.  Then right after that another tech got the same symptoms and was also sent home. First one had covid and the second has the flue but still both have 10 days off. I don't  think businesses with vaccinated employees can trust the vaccine to work at this point.  Anyway they just can't find qualified help so I am on hold along with those scheduled behind me. Still  have the new Silverado so it's not so new anymore.  Checked mileage  last fillup and it's  19.8 combined local and a couple  longer trips. Can't  complain they are being  totally honest with  me and I bet they have buyers lined up for the loaner.

21incher

I figured that I would do a final update to this. The dealer had it for 3 months and kept promising to have it done in 2 weeks. At the end of 3 months I got a call that it was to bad for them to fix and there were no GM dealers in the area that would touch it. They were sending it to Ziebart to remove the bed , strip the frame then neutralize the rust, and coat the frame. Was told it would take a couple more days. Well the next day they dropped it off in my driveway and picked up the loaner with zero contact or paperwork. There was Ziebart dripping off everything and they just sprayed over the peeling undercoat and rust under it. I made a video for GM
- YouTube
It's private but this link should work
To see how the TSB was handled and GM said it was past the 36 month warranty period and they didn't care that it was started before the warranty ended and all Chevy truck frames rust like that in a little over 2 1/2 years. GM really sucks and no longer applies this TSB even though it's still a problem on the 21 models. Apparently they had the dealer park it out back till the warranty expired because it would have cost to much to fix it. I made the video above for the dealer and told them to spread it wide. Turns out the owner of this dealership and 4 more was never told about this problem ( even though I asked the service manager to notify her ). I got a call with a offer to buy back the truck for what I paid for it but seeing how it was over 3 years old they couldn't refund the sales tax.
My wife's car needed replacing and the owner also has Subaru dealerships so we came up with a deal for a new Subaru Forester for my wife to get most of the tax back with a discount and a big check. Well only took 8 weeks to have a new Subaru my wife wanted built and shipped to the US. Today we picked it up and traded in the rust bucket. She loves it

Now I am still looking for a new truck which is another story. I had a deposit on anew Tundra but started seeing so many problems with the new generation online that I got that back. Would have been full MSRP and a 9 month wait with the people in line in front of me plus 68 k for a truck and you may not get the color or options you ordered. They just make what they have parts for and you have the choice to refuse it after waiting 9 months. Looking at going back to a Ford now but it could take a year to get what I really want. I want a V8 and they are becoming dinosaurs. looked at Ridgelines and can get one so may pick one up to hold me over. It's a terrible time to to buy new trucks even with gas prices rising.

TroyC

Quote from: snowstorm on October 02, 2021, 08:55:33 AMi know someone that bought a 20 last year with the 5.3 he is claiming 20 tp 24 mpg seems a bit high

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 5.3. I can get 21 actual mpg driving 60. Pulling a 3,000 lb trailer it drops to 17, pulling 7,000 lbs it drops to 12-13. Its got the 3.43 rear I think so its not a banshee offf the line towing.

Also have an 02 Silverado 4x4 5.3L. 17.5 is the best it will do.

TroyC

Quote from: 21incher on October 04, 2021, 06:49:26 PMThey use a neutralizing chemical that's supposed to eliminate the rust for good but I have my doubts and there is no corrosion warranty after 36 months.

I wonder if they gonna spray it with Ospho?

chet

Toyota brought my 2011 Tacoma in for that frame inspection this fall.  Even though they found no rust issue (I seen the inspection video) they still cleaned, wax filled, and plugged all the boxed frame areas, no charge to me.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

21incher

Quote from: chet on March 11, 2022, 10:29:14 PM
Toyota brought my 2011 Tacoma in for that frame inspection this fall.  Even though they found no rust issue (I seen the inspection video) they still cleaned, wax filled, and plugged all the boxed frame areas, no charge to me.  :)
That's the difference  between  Toyota and GM. Toyota stepped up and has taken care of customers with  problems they had with a vendor part. GM is trying to hide this and refusing to apply TSBs for a known problem they caused cost cutting back in 2011 and it still exists today. I made a big mistake switching from Ford to GM  trucks and should have done  more homework because it's a common problem  for GM vehicles. They used to fix them but now just blow off the customers saying their frames are made to self destruct in a couple years so just plan on replacing their trucks often. The 6.2 in it was getting a start up ticking at 6k miles so I am guessing it was starting the lifter problem also.

kantuckid

Quote from: Ed on September 23, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
The Chevy frame rot goes all the way back to 88, first year after the "square body" trucks.
Gen 2 Dodge Dakota's have the same issues.

A friend just parted out a beat 99 Chevy half ton ext cab. The frame broke on the hoist, when he set it down, the top of the box was pushing against the cab.
Newest I've seen break is an 02, 2wd regular cab. Low mile truck that lived outside its whole life.

Ed
Frame/cab supports being rusted out goes far back, well beyond the 1980's! Very true for GM trucks and made a few old trucks a tough fix as they became unsafe to use or restore. Restoration parts do exist for them but not a panacea. Extends to other brands  too.
 Very large subject here really. I've done enough use and repair to know it kills some old trucks.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!