iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Switching blade guides on Norwood HD36

Started by TmbrWlkr, September 29, 2021, 07:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmbrWlkr

Norwood is letting me down - No answer from their parts dept after repeated attempts at contact.  I am now looking at switching the ceramic blade guides to roller guides.  Does anyone know of a simple plug and play "kit"?

Gere Flewelling

I would suggest you contact Cook's Saw Manufacturing.  They should be able to get you the necessary components to retrofit your mill to their rollers.  Their rollers have grease fittings on them and can be adjusted in all directions.  They are also decent to deal with.  I have heard of others on FF that have done this to their Norwood mills.  Good luck.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

VB-Milling

What @Gere Flewelling said.

To answer your original question, I think you'll have to be comfortable with some level of fabrication as I don't believe there is a plug and play option which is strictly bolt on.  But I'm out of my depth a bit on that.  From the reading I've done on the FF in the last year though, it always seems there is some level of custom work needed to change out ceramics to rollers.
HM126

Patrick NC

Probably not a big help since you are having trouble contacting norwood,  but I converted mine with norwood rollers. Direct bolt on kit. I always contact them by email and usually get a response within 24 hours. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

VB-Milling

Out of my own curiosity, I wondered if the chat feature would be helpful.  Here's the response I got within 30 seconds.

:D :D :D :D
HM126

ladylake

Did Norwoods used to come with roller guides a while back, if so it's not good that they switched to sandwich guides.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TmbrWlkr

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 29, 2021, 08:04:11 AM
I would suggest you contact Cook's Saw Manufacturing.  They should be able to get you the necessary components to retrofit your mill to their rollers.  Their rollers have grease fittings on them and can be adjusted in all directions.  They are also decent to deal with.  I have heard of others on FF that have done this to their Norwood mills.  Good luck.
I will try that if Norwood continues to ignore me - thanks

ladylake

Cooks makes good roller guides. last a long time.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Patrick NC

Quote from: ladylake on September 29, 2021, 03:36:01 PM

Did Norwoods used to come with roller guides a while back, if so it's not good that they switched to sandwich guides.  Steve
When I bought mine it had ceramics. I switched to roller guides. My best guess on why they use ceramics is because the poorly designed movable blade guide arm isn't built heavy enough. I had to modify mine a little and soon will have to fabricate a better one due to wear. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Rob in WNY

I have an early 2000's Norwood LM2000. It has the original simple roller guides , little adjustment, just in and out.
They work but alignment would be tough as a retrofit.

Rob

Jeff

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 29, 2021, 09:53:51 AM
Out of my own curiosity, I wondered if the chat feature would be helpful.  Here's the response I got within 30 seconds.

:D :D :D :D
If that was intentional, I really fail to see the humor. Businesses are struggling all around, and adding non customer fun and games to the mix can not be helpful.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!