iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade guide rollers.

Started by Silverfoxfintry, October 03, 2021, 10:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfoxfintry

Good morning all.
I am wanting to replace the guide rollers on our Forestor Jacko mill.
The company that produced the mill is long gone.
The rollers presently fitted are 2" dia by 1" long. There's a flange 2.275 in diameter at the back of the rollers. The bore of the bearings is 12mm.
Can anyone advise of an American company that produces rollers of the same , or similar, dimensions?
Thanks.
Silverfox.

kelLOGg

Try the sponsor Cooks Saw. Many sawyers use them.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dustyhat

I use cooks , good people ,good quality guide rollers.

Hilltop366

I have a set of Cooks that I haven't used yet, they look good.

Thought: Would it be more practical to use a set from a common mill that is sold closer to home?

For example if there is a Wood-mizer dealer you could use a roller from a LT 40 so once your mill is set up for them it would be faster and easier to get a replacement in the future.

Ljohnsaw

If your guides are good on the inside (still fit the bearings snugly), you could take the rollers to a machine shop and have them re-grind them (they should be hardened) flat/square so the blade runs true on them.  Might be the fastest and cheapest repair.  They would have to be spun on a lathe and ground with something like a Dunmore high speed grinder.  The name of the process escapes me at the moment.  Something like surface grinding but specific to lathes.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Silverfoxfintry

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 03, 2021, 06:56:02 PM
If your guides are good on the inside (still fit the bearings snugly), you could take the rollers to a machine shop and have them re-grind them (they should be hardened) flat/square so the blade runs true on them.  Might be the fastest and cheapest repair.  They would have to be spun on a lathe and ground with something like a Dunmore high speed grinder.  The name of the process escapes me at the moment.  Something like surface grinding but specific to lathes.
I have already reground the rollers on my lathe using a tool post grinding attachment. The flanges at the back of the rollers are getting quite thin and I have already taken 0.010" off the diameter.
I will try to find spares in the UK. But the Cooks rollers seem to be identical to the originals.
Thanks for all the help so far.
Silverfox.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!