iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I picked up my supper from the side of the road

Started by Jeff, November 18, 2021, 08:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Looked good.  That went along with your "repurposing" mentality.  Road "kill" to supper.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I thought we were going to be talking about fresh(?) road kill and figured you had some Cajun or WV Hillbilly blood in you. :D

Several years I did a project up in Rochester NY (Kodak HQ) and while driving up kept seeing road killed deer as I drove up through Pennsylvania and thought "They must have a lot more deer up here than we do" then after a while I realized "No, its demographics. Times are just better up here and they leave their road killed deer while we take ours home in WV and eat them." :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Picking them up is one thing - listening to the scanner and beating the Warden or Trooper to the accident scene and telling them "I am on your list to get one, remember?"  That's a whole 'nother level, and it happened all the time. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

When my son was in college he hit a hen turkey about 7 miles up the road on his way back to his house at the college. He broke her wing so he chased her down and wrung her neck and took her with him and cleaned her when he got home. He called my wife a few days later and told her about it and she said "You're going to get caught and get in trouble". He replied "Mom, the evidence has been disposed of."

Actually, WV caught a lot of flack from Jay Leno and others about our "Road Kill Law" but it actually makes sense. If you hit a wild animal and want to keep it you just call and report the incident and then you can take it home with you. This way it gets salvaged, the road department does not have to clean it up and other wildlife and pets and such don't get attracted to the kill site and end up being another accident victim.

I don't think it applies to squash, pumpkins, cabbages or other vegetables though. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

I think that squash is called celebration. Acorn squash family but supposed to have a sweeter flesh. 
Planted a mess of them this year every one drowned out. 

Jeff

It was excellent, and I can tell ya right shortly if the second half is good too, as I'm reheating it in the air fryer as I type this. That air fryer shines at reheating.

newoodguy78

:P Always looking for real world feedback on what I'm growing or attempting to I should say 
How does it compare to an acorn?

Jeff

SwampDonkey

We've got a pile of squash here (well as far as 2 people can eat), we cook and then freeze more than we can eat. I like squash pie to, not super sweet and good for ya. 8)

Starting out this year I never thought I'd have any because of the earwigs and beetles. But they started leaving it alone and I got a bumper crop. I picked squash up til the end of October. :D No frost here until late this year. I had one that never pollinated, not a seed inside it, the flesh was still perfect to eat. First I seen that happen. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

I was hoping for a really gross road kill transformed into a bon repast, something Julia Child might have done.
Im not disappointed mind you, I admire your ingenuity.
I have yet to convince my wife on the air fryer, I bought one a couple of years back on line and Linda made me send it back.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Anyone I know that has a basket type air fryer seems to have been disappointed or underwhelmed.

Thank You Sponsors!