iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate clothes shopping

Started by Patrick NC, March 27, 2022, 09:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

My wife informed me the other day that it was time to go buy some new pants because I was down to 1 pair that didn't have giant holes in them. She mumbled something about being embarrassed to be seen with me because I dress like a homeless man. She knows that I'd almost rather have a root canal than go to Walmart,  so she tricked me by saying that we were going to the Chinese buffet.  I should have known something was up when she insisted on driving. 30 minutes later we pulled into the Walmart parking lot and she said it would only take a couple of minutes to get a few pairs of pants and then we'd go eat. So we went in and started looking. The first thing I noticed is that all the bigger sizes are on the very bottom shelf. Why is that? It doesn't make any sense.  After digging for a half hour or so I determined that everyone that has a 40" waist is 5"4" tall. Apparently Walmart only stocks clothes for short and fat, not tall and fat. The wife then says that we should check another Walmart (40 minutes away ) to see if they have any. I said let's hit the buffet first and she just laughed a little and headed for the car. 45 minutes later we are in another Walmart looking at the exact same situation. Bigger sizes on the bottom shelf,  nothing in my size. By this time I'm seeing my chances of going to the Chinese buffet slipping away because she is determined to find some pants that fit me and were not doing anything else until we do. I said we should try Rural King. So we drive across town to check there. Same thing there. By this time I'm getting pretty hungry so I said let's try tractor supply.  We go in and immediately find my size on the top shelf. Problem is that tractor supply is a little pricey. $35 a pair. So I got 1 pair of pants and decided I'd go home and order some bib overalls on line. Never did get my Chinese buffet.  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Southside

For $35 a pair try Deluth Trading Post and look for sales.  I get an honest year out of their jeans before the holes start and that's in a sawmill with cow and chicken poop exposure on a daily basis.  They fit better and have nice big pockets.

As a bonus you don't have to go to the store for them.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

We all have different butts so it's not a "one size fits all" situation.  I have good success with Wrangler jeans.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

The double front loggers pants from Baileys and Prison Blues are the most durable ones that I've found. Plus they are available with suspender buttons.

Made in the USA too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SawyerTed

Why is it wives can go shopping, get coffee, a manicure come home with three bags of clothes and eat a meal?  But when they take their husbands, it turns out to be a death march?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 27, 2022, 09:33:02 AM
Why is it wives can go shopping, get coffee, a manicure come home with three bags of clothes and eat a meal?  But when they take their husbands, it turns out to be a death march?
I can't speak for everyone,  but I know why my wife does it. She usually has to bait me into going (Chinese buffet,  etc...) , and when we get to the parking lot I immediately start saying that I don't really need the item or items she thinks I do. By the time we get into the store she has had it with my whining and is determined to get everything I need so she doesn't have to do it again for awhile.  Works out good for both of us in the end because I don't have to go back for at least 6 months and she can go enjoy herself next time. 🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Raider Bill

I'm with Scott on prison blues clothing. Great material and they will make you any size you want.
Buttons for braces are,also nice.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

OK, I went and looked and mine are actually Lee jeans.  ~$15 or less from the outlet mall because I buy from  the "scratch & dent" rack.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alan gage

I wear 32x34, which is seemingly impossible to find locally. Drives (drove) me nuts. I once spent a whole weekend looking for work pants and only found one pair that fit. And that was at a Cabelas nearly 2 hours away. To be honest I did not check the wal-mart that's 20 minutes away because you couldn't pay me to go in there. 

So I went on Amazon and ordered a pair of 32x34 Dickies. They fit great so I ordered 8 more. When those wore out a couple years later I ordered 8 more. Shopping has never been so quick and easy!

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

hedgerow

Patrick  Look up Round House Jeans they are made in Shawnee Oklahoma. Not cheap but they fit and last. I have been wearing them for ten years or so and have ever had a issue with any pair of them. Before them I always had trouble finding jeans that fit and would last. 

sawguy21

Oh man, I feel yer pain. My wife would drag me kicking and screaming through the Bay, Walmart wasn't good enough for her. To be fair she had good taste and shopped wisely but still  ::). I remember going into the Richmond BC store where I could see over everybody, the rest were 5'4" Asians. I found a couple of shirts I liked and headed for the checkout, I was done. "Oh no you're not, we are just getting started" Two hours and almost $400 later :'(
I wear a 40x30, do you think I can find pants that fit especially on the sale rack? I don't know anybody that wears 28x36 or a 48x26. @alan gage you need to put some meat on your bones before a good wind blows you away.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wisconsitom

@alan gage, all I wear is Dickies/Carhartts type stuff, but when I go to Fleet Farm, all I see is clothes for giants.

Likewise, I just go to Dickies website and get what I need.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

breederman

I've gone to buying my 34x34 wranglers on Amazon because they are nearly impossible to find in stores. They only last 2 or 3 months as apparently liquid nitrogen freezes and weakens cotton fibers and i end up with small holes in random places on the front of my pants. 
Together we got this !

mike_belben

Wild A$$ and carhart have been the most durable pants ive found.  I think i remember prison blues fitting okay and hating key denim pants, or vice versa.  One i couldnt stand.  Super tight ankle.

Sierra trading post was the place to stock up on carhartts but i think they sold.  I cant stand anything that is not laid out like carhartt carpenters.  Its like a cop with no duty belt or holster today.. Where do i put my this that n the other?

Rural king and schmidt (tsc) have the cheapest clones 
Praise The Lord

Resonator

Couple years back a friend of a friend claimed his house had been robbed. We all asked what happened? He said after the holidays he went to get dressed one day, and determined all of his "Fat pants" must have been stolen. The only pants left in the closet were "Skinny jeans" that were too tight to button. :o 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

ADKsawyer

Quote from: mike_belben on March 27, 2022, 02:29:34 PM
Wild A$$ and carhart have been the most durable pants ive found.  I think i remember prison blues fitting okay and hating key denim pants, or vice versa.  One i couldnt stand.  Super tight ankle.

Sierra trading post was the place to stock up on carhartts but i think they sold.  I cant stand anything that is not laid out like carhartt carpenters.  Its like a cop with no duty belt or holster today.. Where do i put my this that n the other?

Rural king and schmidt (tsc) have the cheapest clones
Wild Ass double knee pants are great, been wearing the for years. Only thing I'd say is wash them a few times b4 wearing. 

lxskllr

I wear BDU/ACUs almost 100% of the time. Get them from the thrift shop for <$10. Reliably sized, well made, and lots of pockets I find useful. XL long would probably fit you.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: alan gage on March 27, 2022, 10:08:52 AMwear 32x34, which is seemingly impossible to find locally.
My son was wearing 31x34s for a couple years.  Now that's a hard one to find!  Now he's got a little meat on his bones and is up to a 32x34 :D

I wear 32x32 in the summer, 34x32 in the winter :-\ when I'm not out sawing/building.  I've compromised on 33x32 - tight in the winter (reminds me not to eat so much) and use a belt in the summer.;)  But I really cheap out.  There is a couple good thrift stores that has my size sporadically.  So I buy whatever I see and they are usually $6 a pair.  I stick to Wrangler and will go with Rustler (Walmart brand?) and Lee (wears out a little quicker).  I think I have about 8 or 10 "going out" jeans and another 10-12 work jeans.  My storage is stuffed!  Now, when I split a seam or wear through the knees, I tend to toss them, rather than repair.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

I'm still miffed at that remark about Wal Mart only stocking clothes for short fat little men especially since they normally have a few pair of cheap jeans in my size. >:(

I do or did used to get Wrangler cargo pants there that I wear most of the year and switch to jeans in the colder months.

I confess I also try to get all the goody out of my clothes and wear them beyond what is normally practical or acceptable but looking at how some of the young women dress now days (and call if high fashion) I wonder if they aren't cutting down some of the ones I finally trashed. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2022, 10:01:07 AM
OK, I went and looked and mine are actually Lee jeans.  ~$15 or less from the outlet mall because I buy from  the "scratch & dent" rack.  ::)
I was gonna say, because Levi is usually $80 a pair or more. :D
Haven't warn jeans in 35 years, too heavy and hot in summer work. Too cold in winter and woollies under them wood make them too heavy. I like light weight and durable pants, so unfortunately it's poly. But cotton shirts. You'll not wear poly shirts with a clearing saw harness in the summer heat, unless you like red raw hide. ;)

@ljohnsaw

A clearing saw will trim a few inches over the summer, I have winter and summer pants to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

newoodguy78

I've worn double kneed carhartts for years, finding them in 36" inseam the last couple years has been almost impossible. Have also noticed they don't hold up like they used to, feel the fabric has gotten lighter. Just found a pair of double kneed arborwear with the gusseted crotch. Liking them so far hopefully they hold up. 
Would like to try some Duluth. Anyone know if they run similar sized to carhatts?

dgdrls

Key logger jeans with suspender buttons
and I'm "testing" a pair of Dickies double front jeans which are working out quite well so far.

Military rip-stops in the summer,

D

wisconsitom

Whatever the pants, whatever the brand, the only actual heavy duty stuff will say "duck".  If it says duck fabric, it'll be that old tough Carhartt/Dickies type stuff.  Otherwise, thin, easily worn stuff, but I like the lighter weight stuff in warm weather, duck stuff all fall, winter, and spring. 

In many ways, Carhartt to me has become a women's and children's fashion line.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Man, when you first posted this I felt for you and I have been reading along during breaks today. I love my wife and she has done wonders to raise our family and keep our household solvent and everybody fed and clothed for nearly 5 decades now with the meager money I was able to earn. When I was working, clothes shopping was something I never could make time for, and it was way too expensive anyway. The kids always needed something more important. But my wife would find stuff here and there on knockdown or for cheap. The jeans never really lasted very long. The crotches would blow out and my wife, again, would repair them, sometimes for decades. All my workpants, Carhartts, Levis. tractor supply, dickies, or what ever have crotch patch on top of patch. Bless her heart.
 Now I am retired and I have more pants waiting for mending than I have pants to wear. I decided I am DONE with the department store junk that only goes for 5 or 6 wearing's then needs repair. My wife also mends my friend Bill's jeans and she does 2 bundles of his before she gets around to doing one of mine.
 So, back in the fall I set out on the path of enlightenment to fix this problem. I decided to find out who makes pants I like and buy those. I plan on buying my own (work) clothes from now on.

You can't find decent stuff in any stores as you guys have all pointed out. SO I decided to start with Madsen's because I really like those guys and always get somebody on the phone who knows most all the details about what I am buying. On my last order I bought a pair of Keys Double front Loggers jeans (with buttons, gotta have buttons) and a pair of Tough Duck. So far, it is the Keys I like better. I have yet to try Prison blues, I have trouble with that name. :D But when I order again I will get another pair of Keys and maybe try another brand. My friend Bill has been wearing the Wild A$$ double fronts for years and that's all he buys. I have to find a source for those if I want to try them. I am DONE with Carhartts, the quality has gone way down hill and the material they use falls apart way too soon. Also, on my next order I am going to start trying work shirts. Some of the shirts I am wearing I have had for over 30 years and they seem to be shrinking now.

2 Years ago I started on socks. I found a wool blend sock that tractor supply carried in winter only at a reasonable price that worked very well and I went back a week later to buy 4 more pair but they were all gone. This year they never got them in the store at all and I had to order 8 pair online.

I don't like shopping with my wife either. I go to get what I want, pay for it and leave. She goes to look at EVERYTHING in the Store and look for "ideas" or good deals. Makes me crazy and rarely turns out well. :D ;D That's why I am taking charge of my clothes. I am now old enough to dress myself. :)

Oh, and speaking of jeans. Since I can now dress as I like rather than to an 'acceptable business practice', I have discovered that suspenders actually go a long way toward preventing those split crotches. I like buttons better than the clips that pop off so am searching for an economical source for some attractive button suspenders. The ones I am using are 30 years old and my next best ones are the WoodMizers I won at the Pig roast raffle, but the clips slip off sometimes and the adjustment clasps slip down during the workday. (and yeah, I wear a belt too. Need it for tape measure, clip knife and other tools.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!