iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idaho/Montana 2022 trip

Started by Raider Bill, May 16, 2022, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Machinebuilder

Thank you for the comments

That was my trip last year, I took the last 2 weeks of August and the first week of September.

It was nice to not rush as much as a shorter vacation.

I spent 1 week camped at Outlaw Cave campground (south end of the Bighorn Mountains in WY)
Wandered in the bighorns a couple days, then the Breaks for a few, across MT to Teddy Roosevelt NP, across ND, MN, and WI to Curtis WI.
My Grandpa was born and raised in Curtis, and I was able to find several ancestors graves there.
Then I went over to the Mississippi and drove the Great River Rd to about Rock Island where I headed home.

If you ever get a chance it is worth visiting Teddy Roosevelts Elkhorn Ranch site.
It is well off the beaten path, and all that's left is some foundation stones, but I could see why it was his favorite place.

I don't want to load all the pics to the forum, and am not sure if posting a link to my online gallery is allowed.

There are an awful lot of beautiful places in this country, Ive been to alot of them but enjoy finding the out of the way places most.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Magicman

All pictures posted on the FF have to be in your FF Gallery.  A link to your offline gallery would not be allowed.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Looks like western Wyoming and Montana is getting hammered with floods.
Read they closed yellowstone, bear tooth pass and surrounding areas.
 Not sure when it will reopen if at all this year.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

barbender

With all if the bridges and road getting washed out, I'd be very surprised if anything on the north end opens up this year. Very sad!👎
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

They sure are getting hammered. I've been through that area twice on a bike and it was awesome both times.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Sounds like all three bridges into Yellowstone are washed out from what they said 

reride82

I have a cousin in Red Lodge and it seems they are opened back up and roads are being cleared. I also heard that Gardiner is accessible again, but the road between Gardiner and Mammoth is gone in several places so it'll be closed for a while. The farther west you go, the less the flooding is. A friend of mine in Big Sky saw flooding but nothing like the Yellowstone Basin. Engineers in the Yellowstone corridor are calling it a 500 year flood event as it has surpassed the 100 year floodplain in most study areas and since the Yellowstone river has very few dams it is uncontrolled. Butte and the surrounding areas are normal as we missed that memorial day snow storm that dropped feet in Yellowstone and the Beartooth Mountains. I'm not sure what happened on the Idaho side as my news doesn't cover that area. When were you thinking of making this trip Bill?

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Raider Bill

We're starting labor day weekend for 2 weeks.

reride82

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have everything outside of the park repaired by then, and a fair amount of the roads inside of the park stabilized except for the Gardiner entrance. I haven't heard how bad the Beartooth Highway is yet though.

Levi

blackfoot griz

Bill, just my 2 cents worth. From SLC, I'd take 15 north to 84 to Twin Falls. 93 north to 75 to Challis, ID. This will take you through Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley, Stanley  and Challis and back to 93. From Challis to Salmon, ID you'll go over a pass and into Montana and the Bitterroot Valley. You will miss your scooter on this run.

93 will take you from Challis to Whitefish. 93 can get a little chaotic through Missoula.

In my opinion, this is a much more scenic run than 15-90-93. The Junkyard Bistro in Salmon  is one of my favorites...a dive bar with amazing food. For a burger, you can't beat Naps in Hamilton. You'll go by the ranch house where Yellowstone was/is filmed near Darby...you'll see it from 93. Ruby's Cafe in Missoula is where they filmed a shoot out scene. It used to be a popular place for cops!

If it works, I'll get you out on my boat on Flathead Lake. It's beautiful...the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. 

Raider Bill

Tick tock, tick tock,.

T minus 30 days!!

Still undecided about our 2 days between Victor and Whitefish. Thinking we'll just play it by ear once on the road.

Heard they got the Bear Tooth fixed in record time. Not sure about getting through Gardnier yet though if we decide to mosey that way.

Thinking on the way back we'd swing west some maybe hit Oregon, Washington a bit.

Craters of the Moon, Devils canyon and LOLO pass are high on the list.

Raider Bill

This trip is on!
Spending tomorrow night in Victor, Idaho!!

beenthere

Glad to hear it. And hope the weather is great and you both have a great time. Will look for pics and return info when/if available.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Enjoy. You'll be seeing some great colors in the aspens.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

I see you decided on Victor.
Have fun!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Holy airport! I think everyone is flying this morning.
Tonight is victor, Idaho. Then, 2 nights with no set plans wandering north.
4 days in whitefish then 8 days with no  plans, more wandering.

newoodguy78

No plans can be the best plan. Don't remember where in Idaho it's located but Bear lake is worth seeing if it's around you. Saw it about 30 years ago, most incredible blue green water I've ever seen. Looked like something out of the Caribbean only nestled in the mountains.
Camped right near it on fire access roads and fished for native brookies. Only visitors we had were free roaming beef cows. Stuck my head out of the tent one morning and was face to face with one still not sure who was more surprised.   :D
Good times and beautiful country.

reride82

Quote from: customsawyer on September 03, 2022, 05:18:36 AM
Enjoy. You'll be seeing some great colors in the aspens.
Not yet anyways, we have been seeing some really hot days this August and it doesn't look like it'll break for a while unless they've changed in the high country. I was up to 7000' this weekend and they were still unchanged.
Levi

customsawyer

ReRide that makes since. I grew up in southern CO. at 7,600' elevation. Most of the mountains on both sides of the valley were 11,000' or higher. Leaves always changed there in late Aug. to early Sept.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

chet

So, Raider Bill are you still out der wandering?    ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!