iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deer herd

Started by chet, September 29, 2022, 10:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

And the DNR wonder why our deer herd is being decimated. Neighbor got this shot yesterday of a pack of 5 Timber Wolves in broad daylight.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

Should have used the boom lense instead of the zoom lense.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Agreed, use the SSS approach!  :rifle:  
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

The U.P. wolfs are protected by over zealous beurocrats just waiting for you to try that. Trackers, chips, all kinds of surveillance, and they use what ever they can to find out why a wolf quits moving and who or what is responsible. In this day and age, shooting a wolf is not advisable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

newoodguy78

We're they introduced to the U.P or have they always been there?

chet

They are native. But with the current Federal regulations, states currently have no way to regulate them. In the case of this area of the U.P. wolf populations have risen drastictly.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

Our ancestors removed apex predators and we allow them to take back over.  Where is the face palm emoji when you need it? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

What are the regulations regarding them messing with livestock out that way? Read an article a few years ago on the problems ranchers were having with them messing with their cows calves in particular. They pretty much couldn't do anything about it. Was a real problem. I'm assuming after reading above it's the same in your area. 
I enjoy nature and all it's critters but not being able to control an animal that has no natural predators never seemed like a good idea to me. Glad we don't have them around here.

chet

Here livestock losses can be reimbursed, but you must be able to PROVE the loss.

sawguy21

The ranchers pretty much wiped out the wolf population in the Yellowstone area in the 1800's and the deer and elk took over. They overgrazed, destroyed the banks along water courses along with the food supply for other species. Canadian wolves have been reintroduced to restore the balance of nature, the ranchers are not pleased but they are the intruders. Don't get me wrong, I am no leftwing Suzuki supporter but pointing out that nature has a way of taking care of itself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

Quote from: Southside on October 02, 2022, 10:06:47 PMOur ancestors removed apex predators and we allow them to take back over.  Where is the face palm emoji when you need it?

I was still in Alberta when they trapped wolves there to re-introduce them in Yellowstone. We all had a good laugh at that, especially the farmers. When I lived even further North, Ft St John, BC local farmers shot them and coyotes when they saw them, probably still do.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

There is an ongoing effort to reintroduce red wolves to eastern North Carolina and Virginia.  There are presently breeding pairs in facilities that are part of the intended release. 

Makes about as much sense as letting a few breeding pairs of T-Rex's go since they used to be here too...
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

upnut

At one time the Ottawa National Forest visitors center in Watersmeet had a stuffed wolf on display, I was surprised how large it seemed up close. Had a pack cut loose howling near me this fall while grouse hunting outside Trout Lake. A 45 pound Brittany and a 20 gauge are not that comforting in those moments. We headed for the truck, put the Carp River between us and them, and continued hunting. The phrase I remember from the morning liars table at the Rudyard restaurant was "coyotes howling out the front door, wolves out back"....They weren't too happy.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

SwampDonkey

The coy dogs are a good size around here and they make themselves known about every night howling. Saw a pack of five last winter on the back of a neighbor's dairy farm. We have as many deer as you can count on one hand in my local area, and they move south in winter. No tracks to be found from Dec until April.

You would not even recognize that grassy area now, 20 foot tall spruce and thick. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

If wolves can swim as good as coyotes you will never out swim one.

Thank You Sponsors!