iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building on a budget (zero) Rafter size

Started by Jeff, October 17, 2022, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Uh oh.  Must've missed that Ray.  That is a bad deal. 
HM126

Southside

It was the jeans that gave it away from what I recall. Oh well, but there still is a "he who should not be named".... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Back to the tractor, etc. shed.  That is an awesome build Jeff, and mostly done in only a couple of weeks.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

This is my bracing for the closed end. 2x10 base, then 3 6/4 6 purlins, then 3×6 tamarack attached to the base of the posts, and to the outside rafter.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Putting in my temporary winter posts today. Just a v cut in the top and pushed verical. Ill have 3 in there before I seal it up.

Magicman

thumbs-up  I was wondering about the snow load.  :snowball: 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Well, if we're worrying, there would be a "beam" slung under and supporting all the rafters and winter posts stuck under that. You're kind of doing the same thing but your "beam" distributing the load to the adjoining rafters is the thin purlins and tin, too thin to do much work.

Jeff

It'll  be what itll be. I've been in several barns and sheds in this area that have been standing for over a generation that are built no better than this, so, I'll play the cards. I built what I could build with what I had.

Jeff

The rafters are 12 feet, the span isnt. Overall width is less than 12ft The pitch should count too.  It falls 19" from fron to back on that 12ft length. I got dark green steel to absorb heat. I put in 2 windows for some rays inside, and closed it in with black tarps.

I could not keep a folgers can with screws on the roof, it would slide right off

Old Greenhorn

Jeff, I have no doubt it will hold up just fine. It's not living quarters. If by some freak chance it doesn't, you'll fix it in the spring.
 I am contemplating doing a quick and dirty shed roof over my bigger drying rack to replace the tarp that got taken out in March's ice storm. Now that the wood has taken a severe beating on that I'd like to get something up quick with minimal work and lumber. If I get it done it will make your fine structure look like a brick 'latrine'.
 I think it looks neat, is very sound an will do your gear a great service. No question.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Looks better than what I have my tractor parked in. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

So far we have had a lake effect snow storm with about 20" of snow, then a winter monsoon rain and a warm spell that melted everything, then last night we had 30mph sustained winds much of the night that I could hear battering my tarp walls.  I woke up this morning dreading what I might find, and found this.

My shed has super powers. It can store a sunrise. :)

Jeff

Looks like everything is goong well with the new building. Even the tarps are still in place and there has been some ferocious wind up there.

doc henderson

Even your Kansas state flowers are still standing.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

thecfarm

Looks like as much snow as I have. Maybe a foot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

That's what I'd guess Ray, storm coming tonight, but it could be rain os snow or ice.

Magicman

Jeff

Last couple weeks I've been working on getting my building closed in. Last year I tarped it in, in the cold. Thiss year, I set my priorities wonky, and here I am again, pushing it. That's ok, I love it.

My end wall is going to be double doors, with a door in a door for winter, then swung open and left open durring poor sledding seasons. I'm looking for a couple old window panes to put in this end as it faces south, keeping the roof thawed off.

Tammy and I Got rained off this afternoon.

Jeff

Winter door in the summer door. The inner door will open to a post in the summer, in the winter itll lock down in the center leaving me an access door to lock everything down for the winter. Its raised off the ground to help keep any snow out until its all locked down.

Thank You Sponsors!